Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th November 2017, 01:47   #4821  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not any right thing to do, it's your choice. Since you have LAV installed then just keep it as it is.
Yes, thanks. I know it's my choice. I was just curious of what is the difference with that i. filters enabled. I was thinking that just because I have lav I can disable all of them like I did. Was just wondering if that's the right thing to do.

So using lav I don't need the hardware acceleration?

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 8th November 2017, 01:55   #4822  |  Link
ryrynz

LAV has hardware acceleration. Internal filters are just another implementation of FFmpeg. Sometimes LAV may deal with some files better other times the internal, if using madVR renderer I believe LAV is the better choice for it.
Internal is there so player can be used out of the box as it were.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 01:57   #4823  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
LAV has hardware acceleration. Internal filters are just another implementation of FFmpeg. Sometimes LAV may deal with some files better other times the internal, if using madVR renderer I believe LAV is the better choice for it.
Internal is there so player can be used out of the box as it were.
Thanks Noob question. If lav use h. acceleration why mpc says I'm not using it? (the gpu icon is not enabled/clickable).

Only audio and subs are, if I'm not wrong.

Old 8th November 2017, 02:01   #4824  |  Link
huhn

because mpc-be doesn't 100% what lavfilter is doing.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 02:04   #4825  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
because mpc-be doesn't 100% what lavfilter is doing.
Clear, thanks!

Old 8th November 2017, 04:05   #4826  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

steakhutzeee
huhn
GPU icon - it's just a indicator, if you see it - DXVA/HW decoding is using. If not - using software decoding. And MPC-BE support LAV's info about HW/software decoding.
Old 8th November 2017, 13:15   #4827  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
steakhutzeee
huhn
GPU icon - it's just a indicator, if you see it - DXVA/HW decoding is using. If not - using software decoding. And MPC-BE support LAV's info about HW/software decoding.
So, what's the setting to configure lav to use hw. acceleration?

And why i should prefere the hw. to the sw. acceleration?
Old 8th November 2017, 18:24   #4828  |  Link
beter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
So, what's the setting to configure lav to use hw. acceleration?

And why i should prefere the hw. to the sw. acceleration?
To configure lav, launch LAV configuration panel, instead of keep looking up on MPC-BE

beter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 19:23   #4829  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beter View Post
To configure lav, launch LAV configuration panel, instead of keep looking up on MPC-BE

I use yet the dxva2 copy back. But mpc does not keep track of it.
Like Aleksoid said.
Old 8th November 2017, 19:55   #4830  |  Link
v0lt

steakhutzeee
Stop deinforming people!
1. I can configure LAV Video Decoder during playback from menu Play->Filters->LAV Video Decoder. In the same place, I can see the current mode of LAV Video Decoder.
2. I added LAV Video Decoder to external filters, and I can configure it by double-clicking.
3. If any hardware decoder is active (for LAV Video Decoder), then the GPU icon is always active for me.
4. The mode of the hardware decoder I can see in MPC-BE statistics.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 21:13   #4831  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
steakhutzeee
Stop deinforming people!
1. I can configure LAV Video Decoder during playback from menu Play->Filters->LAV Video Decoder. In the same place, I can see the current mode of LAV Video Decoder.
2. I added LAV Video Decoder to external filters, and I can configure it by double-clicking.
3. If any hardware decoder is active (for LAV Video Decoder), then the GPU icon is always active for me.
4. The mode of the hardware decoder I can see in MPC-BE statistics.
Ok, so i've a problem here.

I did exactly like you, but the GPU icon is not active. But:

- From Play->Filters->LAV Video Decoder i've your exact configuration. Completely the same.

-If i go in mpc-be settings and double click on lav video in external filters this is what i've: https://postimg.org/image/39izvfmn6j/

And this is my bar, i'm starting thinking that it's right this way... https://postimg.org/image/35zdxpufbv/

But so why that difference in the configuration of lav video when i open it from the list of the external filters?
Old 9th November 2017, 00:10   #4832  |  Link
beter

Quote:
Ok, so i've a problem here.

I did exactly like you, but the GPU icon is not active. But:

- From Play->Filters->LAV Video Decoder i've your exact configuration. Completely the same.

-If i go in mpc-be settings and double click on lav video in external filters this is what i've: https://postimg.org/image/39izvfmn6j/

And this is my bar, i'm starting thinking that it's right this way... https://postimg.org/image/35zdxpufbv/

But so why that difference in the configuration of lav video when i open it from the list of the external filters?
In my system, there is NO difference between switching HW mode in "External Filter"-tab and that in Start menu. And changes made by right-click->Filters->LAV Video Decoder need RELOAD of the playback to take effect.

MPC-BE shows the GPU icon when anyone of the DXVA, DXVA copyback, CUVID and Intel Quicksync is active. I didn't find any problems.
Old 9th November 2017, 00:16   #4833  |  Link
steakhutzeee

So if HW acceleration is not active that button is not present at all? EDIT: Tried to disable it and icon is not showed, so ok, i've hw. acceleration active.

But...

I've the exact screen from v0lt from 'right click' -> Filters -> Lav Video.

But if open it from the start menu or from the mpc-be external filters list by double clicking it, i've the screen i posted. This: https://postimg.org/image/39izvfmn6j/

So now i don't know why there is this difference...

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 9th November 2017 at 00:18.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 02:24   #4834  |  Link
beter

Quote:
So if HW acceleration is not active that button is not present at all? EDIT: Tried to disable it and icon is not showed, so ok, i've hw. acceleration active.

But...

I've the exact screen from v0lt from 'right click' -> Filters -> Lav Video.

But if open it from the start menu or from the mpc-be external filters list by double clicking it, i've the screen i posted. This: https://postimg.org/image/39izvfmn6j/

So now i don't know why there is this difference...
OK, I finally understand your question/problem.

When you launch the configuration panel from "External Filter"-tab or from start menu, the panel is launched independently from the playback, which means that it is NOT reflecting the playback status.

MPC-HC behaves the same, even it is using the LAV internally.

Just imagine, if you launched 2 players using LAV, one is playing H.264 and the other one is playing rmvb. The latter one isn't supported by DXVA. At this moment if you launch the panel from start menu, it is nonsense to show any active status in the panel because the status of the two players are different(One with DXVA one without DXVA). The panel would not show the current status unless you launch it from the playback options.("Right click" -> Filters -> LAV Video)

It is not possible and also not realistic for LAV to show the status from different players, which is not directly accessible.

Last edited by beter; 9th November 2017 at 02:35.
Old 9th November 2017, 02:43   #4835  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beter View Post
OK, I finally understand your question/problem.

When you launch the configuration panel from "External Filter"-tab or from start menu, the panel is launched independently from the playback, which means that it is NOT reflecting the playback status.

MPC-HC behaves the same, even it is using the LAV internally.

Just imagine, if you launched 2 players using LAV, one is playing H.264 and the other one is playing rmvb. The latter one isn't supported by DXVA. At this moment if you launch the panel from start menu, it is nonsense to show any active status in the panel because the status of the two players are different(One with DXVA one without DXVA). The panel would not show the current status unless you launch it from the playback options.("Right click" -> Filters -> LAV Video)

It is not possible and also not realistic for LAV to show the status from different players, which is not directly accessible.
Thank! This clarify my doubts! So if I'm not in playback, lav can't show me the Active Decoder/Hardware Accelerator. Right?

Old 9th November 2017, 04:18   #4836  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
This picture does not mean anything, because LAV Video Decoder is inactive. And generally it is not clear what kind of active decoder you have.
Old 10th November 2017, 15:21   #4837  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhihua View Post
it's easy,the GUI framework is MFC,you can modify the OnXXX method in mainfrm.cpp
Hi Ezhihua, I tried but unfortunately I have to admit that I am not experienced/knowledgeable enough to do all this.
Can you maybe send me a PM with more detailed instructions or even better - could you compile a test build and upload it somewhere ? Thx.
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 00:50   #4838  |  Link
beter

Some corrections for the Dutch translation:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hakjbg
Old 14th November 2017, 16:02   #4839  |  Link
v0lt

@beter
Update in r3117.
Old 15th November 2017, 22:47   #4840  |  Link
canbonbon

Severe lag with certain AAC files

Long time MPC-BE user. I am seeing a severe lag in certain mkv movies with when I try to play them. However, if I extract the AAC and recode it again as AAC and use MKV merge to put it back into the file, then the movie plays fine.

Is this a codec issue? Has something changed the codec on my machine that could be causing this? BTW all those files play fine in VLC. So clearly something is different about MPC-BE that does not like that AAC format.

Please let me know if there is a fix for this. Thank you.
canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote