Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 25th April 2011, 05:57   #1  |  Link
avz10

Cassette damaged-jerky recording

I have a Canon Legria HV40 which takes excellent video. I use Pinnacle for editing.

My father-in-law got married again, I took the photos and a family member the video. I use TDK MiniDV 60 and record on SP. There was no problem with the first video cassette- as expected. Fifteen minutes before the end of the function, he asked for another cassette. I gave him a brand new TDK cassette. To our disappointment, the video came out all jerky- even playing on the camera.

I fast forwarded and rewinded with no success.

Is there any way of trying to fix this? If not, what programme is the best to edit this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=29SeygAffYg
avz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 12:09   #2  |  Link
2Bdecided

I've never seen that before. HDV tape faults usually cause a one second freeze in the video, not a jump. I'm not sure how a tape fault could cause this - the camera wouldn't be able to re-sync instantly from a fault. Looks like, for whatever reason, the camera decided to record it like that

You'll have to be creative with editing to hide this - maybe change to a photo-montage or multi-screen effect with each separate clip in a mini screen. If it looks like this on-camera even after fast winding, then I don't think it can be fixed.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 14:20   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It looks like not all frames were saved on the tape, or recovered therefrom. I've seen that, but only on analog captures, when the HDD or the CPU couldn't cope. Unless you find another camcorder/player, it's not possible to recover the tape. When the tape is defective or the head dirty, there is first a mosaic to be seen (the image is first scrambled, so small defects be visually masqued). I have no idea how HDV records on regular DV tapes (HDV was a no go for me), it requires generally better tapes ...
Old 27th April 2011, 15:10   #4  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
It looks like not all frames were saved on the tape, or recovered therefrom. I've seen that, but only on analog captures, when the HDD or the CPU couldn't cope. Unless you find another camcorder/player, it's not possible to recover the tape. When the tape is defective or the head dirty, there is first a mosaic to be seen (the image is first scrambled, so small defects be visually masqued). I have no idea how HDV records on regular DV tapes (HDV was a no go for me), it requires generally better tapes ...
Not really. DV and HDV both record the same datarate to tape.

Drop outs on DV cause blockiness where the error correction repeats the previous frame for that section (usually small blocks). Dropouts on HDV cause a 1/2 second freeze where the camcorder drops the entire MPEG-2 GOP (for some reason - I'm sure there must be something there, but the camcorder chooses not to show it IME).

Both of these are unnaceptable IMO, but thankfully rare (one per tape on average for me) with £1.50 / $2 standard Sony DV tapes on my machines. I think Panasonic DV tapes may be even more reliable, but I don't like switching brands. some people report no drop outs at all with Sony or Panasonic DV tapes in HDV camcorders.

Paying $10 or whatever for special "HDV" tapes to hopefully avoid that one possible drop-out per tape just isn't worth it. If you're a wedding videographer, it may be worth it to avoid a drop out hitting the "I do" moment.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 15:24   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
Not really. DV and HDV both record the same datarate to tape.

Drop outs on DV cause blockiness where the error correction repeats the previous frame for that section (usually small blocks). Dropouts on HDV cause a 1/2 second freeze where the camcorder drops the entire MPEG-2 GOP (for some reason - I'm sure there must be something there, but the camcorder chooses not to show it IME).

Both of these are unnaceptable IMO, but thankfully rare (one per tape on average for me) with £1.50 / $2 standard Sony DV tapes on my machines. I think Panasonic DV tapes may be even more reliable, but I don't like switching brands. some people report no drop outs at all with Sony or Panasonic DV tapes in HDV camcorders.

Paying $10 or whatever for special "HDV" tapes to hopefully avoid that one possible drop-out per tape just isn't worth it. If you're a wedding videographer, it may be worth it to avoid a drop out hitting the "I do" moment.

Cheers,
David.
Thanks for the explanation, as I said I skipped HDV despite being [still] DV user. I find it rather strange that the camcorder chooses to drop a full GOP (is it 15 frames, too?) instead of displaying the faulty frame. I wonder how long/wide must be the drop-out on the band - on DV it takes 12 tracks to record a frame (180microns). Everyone has at least once seen a drop-out on a DVDR ...