Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 7th August 2021, 01:18   #1  |  Link
rik1138

Converting a 2054 sector-size DVD .iso to 2048

This might be an odd request, but is there a tool out there that can take a 2054 sector size ISO created by Scenarist and just convert it to a 2048 sector size ISO without changing anything else? I need to keep the ISO intact so things like the disc name and file order on the disc aren't changed (which extracting the ISO to a VIDEO_TS folder and re-creating it would do).

ImgBurn will do this when burning a disc from a 2054 ISO, it 'converts it on the fly' to 2048 so the resulting disc is playable in DVD players. I just need something that will do exactly that but output to another ISO. (I can't seem to make ImgBurn create an ISO from an ISO... )

Not sure if there's ever been a need for this or not (so someone would have the desire to make a tool to do it), but thought I'd ask...

-Rik
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 09:00   #2  |  Link
jmartinr

Can't you mount the iso and create an new iso with imageburn from that?
Old 7th August 2021, 10:57   #3  |  Link
rik1138

I don't have an image mounter other than what is built into Windows, and it won't recognize an ISO with a 2054 sector size. Says it's invalid.
I was thinking of seeing if IT would install Virtual CloneDrive and I'd try something like that (work machine, I don't have admin access), but I was hoping there was a simpler solution..

I actually just wrote a little Python script to do it though (well, modified someone's code that did something similar, only just barely learning Python...), so I can just copy that to my machine and do it. And no chance of changing anything since it's modifying the ISO directly...

I compared the modified ISO with a 2048 one created by Scenarist and they matched almost exactly (just things like the file write-times of the .VOBs and IFOs were different, which is to be expected)..
Old 7th August 2021, 20:11   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Unless it's a DVD9 you may use a -RW disc (up to 1000 times )
Old 7th August 2021, 21:57   #5  |  Link
rik1138

Haha, yeah, I actually thought of that too. Unfortunately, we pretty much only do dual-layer DVDs... And I still need an ISO file, so I'd have to recreate the ISO from the DVD-RW.
While do-able, just seems to introduce too many chances for error. And I like the idea of something other people in the company can easily use.

The main reason for doing all of this is to burn a checkdisc directly from the DDP discimage Scenarist creates for a final check before going to replication. But the best way we have for burning discs is network-connected burn towers that burn and print labels and just eject them in the QC department. The tool used on the burn tower can't remove the extra bytes like ImgBurn can, so we have to burn them locally at our computer and take the discs to QC. Which is hard to do when working remotely (I have to tell someone in the office to put a disc in my drive, then come get it, label it, and take it to QC). I'm trying to find a way to get an ISO I can burn over the network, while doing as little manipulation of it as possible.

Basically, the tool I wrote does exactly what ImgBurn does, just outputs an ISO. It's simple (command line, only like 8 lines of code and no GUI), but it works.