Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 8th October 2008, 15:09   #621  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ah yes, I was thinking about repeated audio packets. That would have been stupid. Overlapping timecodes are fine, though.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 12th October 2008, 00:13   #622  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 2.4.0 released

Hey Matroska users,

here's another release of mkvtoolnix, 2.4.0. New features include support for VC1 video read from elementary streams and MPEG program streams, Dirac video elementary streams, support for 7.1 channel EAC3 tracks and the extraction of Theora video tracks into Ogg files. Bug that were fixed include the handling of unknown tracks in Ogg files, the automatic garbage detection for AC3/MP3 tracks, the handling of DTS in MPEG program streams, (E)AC3 files bigger than 2 GB and many more.

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-2.4.0.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....4.0-setup.exe

The Linux binaries that I provide myself (Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE and Fedora Core) have already been uploaded and are available from the home page.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 2.3.0:

------------------------------------------------------------
2008-10-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* Released v2.4.0.

* mmg: bug fix: The chapter editor's function "save to Matroska file" was corrupting the target file in some cases. Fix for bug 307.

2008-10-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: mkvmerge was only writing one reference block for real B frames. Patch by Daniel Glckner. Fix for bug 306.

* all: bug fix: The Windows uninstaller was not removing all start menu entries during uninstallation on Windows Vista. The installer now creates the start menu entries for all users instead of the current user only. Fix for bug 305.

2008-10-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mmg: bug fix: The "language" drop down box contained some entries twice or more. Fix for bug 304.

2008-10-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Incorrect usage of the iconv library caused some conversions to omit the last character of each converted entry (e.g. for the conversion from Hebrew to UTF-8). Fix for bug 302.

2008-09-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge will use the timecodes provided by the MPEG program stream source file for VC1 video tracks.

2008-09-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Reading EVOBs with multiple VC1 video tracks was broken (all packets where put into a single video track).

2008-09-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for handling SimpleBlocks for timecode extraction.

2008-09-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Reading raw (E)AC3 files bigger than 2 GB was broken.

* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for Dirac video tracks.

2008-09-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Improved the detection of MPEG-1/-2 and AVC/h.264 video tracks in MPEG program streams (VOBs/EVOBs).

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed reading DTS audio tracks from MPEG program streams (VOBs/EVOBs).

2008-09-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mmg: enhancement: Added the extensions "evo", "evob" and "vob" to mmg's "add file" dialog.

2008-09-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for muxing VC1 video tracks read from MPEG program streams (EVOBs) or raw VC1 elementary streams (e.g. as produced by EVODemux).

2008-09-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for 7.1 channel EAC3 files. Fix for bug 301.

2008-09-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Revision 3831 (the change to the "--delay" and "--sync" options) caused mkvmerge to no longer respect the delay caused by garbage at the beginning of MP3 and AC3 audio tracks in AVI files. The timecodes of such tracks are now delayed appropriately again. Fix for bug 300.

2008-09-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Unknown stream types in Ogg files (e.g. skeleton tracks) don't cause mkvmerge to abort anymore. They're simply ignored. Fix for bug 299.

* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for extracting Theora video tracks into Ogg files. Fix for bug 298.

* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the frame type (key or non-key frame) detection for Theora tracks.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun

Regards,
Mosu

Old 12th October 2008, 11:01   #623  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Thanks

PS. can you update title of this topic and first post?
Old 12th October 2008, 11:08   #624  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Done.

Old 12th October 2008, 17:38   #625  |  Link
excentro

Thank you.
Old 12th October 2008, 17:39   #626  |  Link
video_magic

Hello Mosu and thankyou very much!
Old 12th October 2008, 17:54   #627  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@ Mosu

much !

It's all good !

Pascal
Old 13th October 2008, 18:45   #628  |  Link
KoD

I noticed that mkvextract extracts chapters to utf-8 files with a signature, which is great.

However, when extracting chapters with mkvextract, the contents of a <ChapterSegmentUID format="hex"> element is made of illegal UTF8 characters. Is that the expected behavior ? I think the file is not a legal xml file in this case. And it can't be opened in a text editor either, it has to be opened in a Hex editor who doesn't care about the contents of the file. Even mkvmerge crashes when trying to load that xml chapters file.

Code:
<ChapterAtom>
      <ChapterTimeStart>00:00:00.000000000</ChapterTimeStart>
      <ChapterTimeEnd>00:01:00.000000000</ChapterTimeEnd>
      <ChapterFlagEnabled>1</ChapterFlagEnabled>
      <ChapterFlagHidden>0</ChapterFlagHidden>
      <ChapterSegmentUID format="hex">_illegal_utf8_characters_happen_here</ChapterSegmentUID>
      <ChapterUID>2647081373</ChapterUID>
      <ChapterDisplay>
        <ChapterString>Chapter Title Goes Here</ChapterString>
        <ChapterLanguage>eng</ChapterLanguage>
      </ChapterDisplay>
</ChapterAtom>
Btw, MKVExtractGUI was a collateral victim of the latest mkvtoolnix. Seems to not like the output of the cli utilities/libraries' calls anymore. Is the original author around ? If not, I'll have a look at the source code as there was another issue I did not like, it was replacing the utf-8 bom of extracted chapter files with a "?".

Last edited by KoD; 13th October 2008 at 18:56.
Old 13th October 2008, 18:57   #629  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
I noticed that mkvextract extracts chapters to utf-8 files with a signature, which is great.

However, when extracting chapters with mkvextract, the contents of a <ChapterSegmentUID format="hex"> element is made of illegal UTF8 characters. Is that the expected behavior ? I think the file is not a legal xml file in this case. And it can't be opened in a text editor either, it has to be opened in a Hex editor who doesn't care about the contents of the file.
You're mixing things here. The XML file itself is encoded in UTF-8, that's correct. From the point of view of the XML layer the content of the ChapterSegmentUID element contains only 17 different characters: 0-9, A-F and spaces. All those are perfectly valid UTF-8 characters.

The fact that mkvmerge translates this into binary data is entirely another matter. This happens after the data has been removed from the XML container, and therefore XML doesn't care anymore what happens to it.

Old 13th October 2008, 19:09   #630  |  Link
KoD

I see what you're saying. I'm not an expert in xml, so I'll take your word on that.

I've made an edit later on to that post. In this case, I'd only like to report that mkvmerge crashes when loading said chapters xml file that it has itself exported previously.
Old 13th October 2008, 19:14   #631  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Can you upload that chapter file somewhere, please?

Old 13th October 2008, 19:26   #632  |  Link
KoD

I've sent you a PM with lots of details. Let me know if there's anything else needed.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:14   #633  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thanks. Fixed the bug in mkvextract. Here's a new build: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...0081013-24.rar

Old 13th October 2008, 20:24   #634  |  Link
KoD

Thank you. I confirm it works here too. And now MKVMergeGUI works again, as well.
Old 13th October 2008, 21:14   #635  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi Mosu, hi everybody,

yesterday I began to create some mka files ( only audio ), which should contain one ore more DTS tracks. This worked fine in most cases, but some dts files where rejected by mkvmerge with the following error messages:

Code:
mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 13 2008 21:05:53
'G:\DTS\test.dts': Using the DTS demultiplexer.
'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Using the DTS output module.
The file 'H:\test.mka' has been opened for writing.
Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
Progress: 0%Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
and lots more of that.

eac3to also complains that is it not able to identify the source file format. I am able to playback those DTS files with MPC_HC together with AC3Filter, both through spdif or analog, but the internal DTS dekoder of MPC_HC is playing them back with wrong speed and pitch ( same as a mka muxxed with Haali, see below ). Mediainfo reports about those files:

Audio
Format : DTS-HD
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Bitraten-Modus : Variable
Kanäle : 6 Kanäle
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Samplingrate : 44,1 KHz
Auflösung : 20 bits

As a comparision, those DTS files which don't make problems look like that:

Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Bitraten-Modus : Constant
Bitrate : 1 411,2 Kbps
Kanäle : 6 Kanäle
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Samplingrate : 44,1 KHz
Auflösung : 24 bits

I also tried to mux such a file to mka using Haalis gsdmux, this works, but when the resulting mka file has a total wrong playtime, and the playback is strange, e.g. the pitch of the audio is absolute incorrect. Then I tried to "repair" those files with DTSParser, but this doesn't help at all.

So my question is what is wrong about those files ? Is it the 20bit depth, or is it the bitrate flagged as variable ?

If it is helpful I am able to provide a sample of such a DTS file.

C.U. NanoBot
Old 13th October 2008, 21:34   #636  |  Link
nautilus7

These are DTS-HD tracks, but if eac3to can't handle them, then they may be damaged. Can you post the eac3to log file?
Old 13th October 2008, 23:35   #637  |  Link
NanoBot

The only answer from eac3to is

"The format of the source file could not be detected."
Old 13th October 2008, 23:53   #638  |  Link
nautilus7

That among with the error log from mkvmerge tell me that your file is corrupted. Does it play as it is? Where did you find the dts track and how did you demux it? If it came from a disc, re-rip the disc and try again.
Old 14th October 2008, 00:05   #639  |  Link
NanoBot

Yeah, I think reripping is the only solution. What makes me wondering is that ac3filter is able to play those files without problems.

Anyway, thanks for your attempted help.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:41   #640  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi again,

as an exception, I will answer my own posting because I found the reason for my problems. If one of the moderators would be so kind, he might move all postings related to this subject to a new thread, perhaps in the audio encoding forum.

First of all, reripping the DTS audio CDs was not the solution, because the ripped dtswav files were okay. The problem was caused by the programs which are used to convert dtswav files to dts files. I tried three different programs, that's wav2dts, besplit and DTSParser, and for some reason, all of them set the frame size in newly produced dts files to 3585 byte instead of 3584 byte by mistake. I found that by comparing the DTS headers of one of the defective files to another DTS file, which are working fine. The informations on that website were helpful for me to point out the error:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DTS

Correct DTS file headers:

Code:
Frame Type		1		normal
NumOfSamples - 1	11111		31
CRCPresent		0		no
NumOfBlocks		0011111		31
FrameSize - 1		00110111111111	3583
ChannelConfig		001001		L,C,R,SL,SR,LFE
SampleRate		1000		44100Hz
BitRate			10110		1411,2 kBit/s
DownMix			0
DynamicRange		0
TimeStamp		0
AuxData			0
HDCD			0
External Descr		000
External coding		0
ASPF			1
LFE 			10
Predictor history	1
Header CRC		not present
Multirate inter		0
Version			0111
Copy history		01
Source PCM resolution	000		16 bit
Front sum		0
Surround sum		0
Dialog normalization	0000		none
Defective DTS file header:

Code:
Frame Type		1		normal
NumOfSamples - 1	11111		31
CRCPresent		0		no
NumOfBlocks		0011111		31
FrameSize - 1		00111000000000	3584
ChannelConfig		001001		L,C,R,SL,SR,LFE
SampleRate		1000		44100Hz
BitRate			10110		1411,2 kBit/s
DownMix			0
DynamicRange		0
TimeStamp		0
AuxData			0
HDCD			0
External Descr		000
External Coding		0
ASPF			1
LFE			10
Predictor History	1
Header CRC		not present
Multirate inter		0
Version			0111
Copy history		01
Source PCM resolution	010		20 bit
Front sum		0
Surround sum		0
Dialog normalization	0000		none
Is it possible that the authors of all three programs did not notice that the relevant header field must contain the frame size - 1 ?

C.U. NanoBot

Last edited by NanoBot; 14th October 2008 at 23:45. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread