Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 27th May 2021, 08:33   #61  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Just curious as to what the "framepacking = ..." argument actually does in terms of encoding?
Probably nothing special. It's just an information for the player. However, perhaps the encoder uses the information to ensure a sharp transition between the two views, but honestly, I don't think so.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 18:47   #62  |  Link
zaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post

zaudio, can you post a link to the Plex bug report ? If I can, I will add my voice to the concert of complains ! ;-)
https://forums.plex.tv/t/3d-hsbs-mov...by-plex/717536
zaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 11:36   #63  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks. I've added a comment. Let's hope they will fix the bug.
Old 10th September 2021, 17:26   #64  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.23 is finally here. It should fix all issues reported so far.
Quote:
v1.23 (September 10, 2021)
- Updated the mkvtoolnix tools to the latest version (v56.1.0 'My Friend')
- Bug fix: Crash when checking if Avisynth+ is properly installed when the VC++ redistributable package is not installed.
- Bug fix: Clone subtitle positions did not work correctly when Process only the subs in the upper half of the screen was selected and the last subtitle in the guide was in the upper part of the screen.
- Bug fix: Clone subtitle positions: The warning (if any) was added to the XML even if it was already present.
Old 25th July 2022, 12:17   #65  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.24 released !

Quote:
v1.24 (July 25, 2022)
- Added the animation tuning parameter for x264. (Strangely, it is not mentionned in the help of x265.exe - Thx tOXicSilence!)
- Replaced MVCPlanes2OFS.exe with the more robust OFSExtractor32.exe (v1.1-beta2-1) to extract the 3D-Planes from the MVC video stream. Thanks to TheGreatMcPain/Sixsupersonic and t19922006 !
- Updated x264 to the latest version (v0.164.3095)
- Updated x265 to the latest version (v3.5+37)
- Updated avs2yuv to the latest version (v0.24bm6)
- Updated the mkvtoolnix tools to the latest version (v69.0.0 'Day And Age')
- Replaced the dead link for Info->CinDe Version with a search on DuckDuckGo
- Java version: Replaced the obsolete link to the AdoptOpenJDK web site to the current Adoptium site containing the latest free Eclipse Temurin JDK version.
Please note that MVCPlanes2OFS.exe is no longer used, and can freely be deleted from the toolset folder.

Also, I have updated almost all external exe, but I haven't had much time to test the new version, so use this update with care. In case of bug, please describe the problem here. Thanks !

Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 5th August 2022 at 09:54. Reason: added download link
Old 29th July 2022, 17:02   #66  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.25 released

Just a little fix for the problem of BD3D2MK3D not running correctly under Windows 8 or less due to a change in MkvToolnix v69.

Quote:
v1.25 (July 29, 2022)
- Added a warning if BD3D2MK3D is running under Windows 8 or lower and the incompatible MkvToolnix v69 or greater is installed in the toolset folder. The warning offers to open the download site for MkvToolnix v68.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 5th August 2022 at 09:52. Reason: fixed download link
Old 5th August 2022, 09:53   #67  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sorry, the download link was not working. It has been fixed in the previous post, and in the first post of this thread. The other download links will probably not work.
Old 8th August 2022, 00:03   #68  |  Link
Mister

Heavy artifacting

I've been running into an issue with heavy artifacting on my video outputs that are not present in the original 3D Blu-rays. This is a recurring issue.

I convert straight from Blu-ray, choose all English streams, and use the following settings (leaving everything else at default):
  • Stereoscopy: Full Side-by-Side (FSBS)
  • Mode: CRF 12
  • Preset: veryslow
  • Tune: film

This is an example from GOTG. This is definitely one of the worst cases, but in general this sort of thing happens throughout the entire video file and is unignorable:

Any solution to this issue?
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 11:07   #69  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I convert straight from Blu-ray
Are you sure the Blu-ray is correctly decrypted ? BD3D2MK3D does the conversion to SBS, but it doesn't decrypt the BD or remove any protection. Maybe you should try to use another decrypter, or use the MakeMKV method ?

Also, the problem might be caused by the Intel drivers (if you have an Intel CPU). When it's the case, it is usually sufficient to select Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration -> Disabled. This will force BD3D2MK3D to use the software MVC decoder included in its toolset folder, and that should work fine on all system, rather than the driver installed by Windows, and that might be outdated. Of course, you can also try to update your Intel drivers. Anyway, using the software version is only a little bit slower, so IMO it's the best solution. Try it !

Good luck !
Old 8th August 2022, 15:23   #70  |  Link
Mister

Hi r0lZ, thanks for the quick response.

I will give the MakeMKV method a try. I have an AMD CPU, so I do not believe this is the source of the problem.
Old 11th August 2022, 02:24   #71  |  Link
Mister

Following up on the above. I used MakeMKV to convert my Blu-ray to an MKV, and then converted the MKV using the same settings in BD3D2MK3D.

Unfortunately, the same result happened. Any ideas?
Old 12th August 2022, 11:25   #72  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, this is really strange. A long time ago, a bug in the Intel libraries (used to decode the AVC/MVC video streams) caused similar artifacts problems, but it has been fixed, and currently, as far as I know, everything works fine, for everybody... except you ! I'm puzzled. BTW, I did Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 without problem.

Perhaps you should try to modify your encoding settings (for example, select Tune none, and a faster preset). It might be a good idea to check also if the same problem happens if you encode with x265. Even if your hardware doesn't support it, that will confirm if it's an encoder problem or not.

Sorry, but I can't help much more.

Last edited by r0lZ; 12th August 2022 at 11:28.
Old 12th August 2022, 12:59   #73  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I've been running into an issue with heavy artifacting on my video outputs that are not present in the original 3D Blu-rays. This is a recurring issue.
You can run the same movie again and check if the artifacts show at the same time/position. If not, maybe one of your RAM modules has a defect. Which you can test.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 18:48   #74  |  Link
Moonbase

In VirtualBox (Version 6.1.38 r153438 (Qt5.15.3)) on Linux Mint 21, I used to have good success in converting 3D BluRays using BD3D2MK3D v1.23 on Windows 7 in the past.

I’m currently trying to streamline my collection into 3D.mvc.mkv and 3D.htab.mkv (MVC for a Vero 4k+ box, and half top-and-bottom for my KODI on a Samsung TV).

So I tried to convert my old Gravity 3D ISO using BD3D2MK3D 1.23 on Win7 and failed at the planes/subtitle extration. I then tried 1.25, also on Win7, and didn’t succeed "backporting" the toolset to be compatible with Win7.

So I remembered you saying "I won’t support people using old OSes", and did a fresh Win11 Pro install (also on Linux Mint 21, VirtualBox as above), installed AviSynth+ 64-bit (aviSynthPlus_3.7.2_20220317_vcredist), 7-Zip, MKVtoolnix, Oracle Java 8 update 341, and BD3D2MK3D 1.25 in "C:\BD3D2MK3D", as recommended. (No .NET Framework installed, since Windows 11 already comes with .NET 4.8.) In VirtualBox, I gave the machine 150 GB disk, 8 GB RAM, 4 CPUs, 3D acceleration and 256 MB graphics memory. The hardware CPU is an Intel i7.

BD3D2MK3D seems to demux the tracks ok, but when starting to check 3D planes in the MVC it gives this error:

Code:
child killed: illegal instruction
child killed: illegal instruction
    while executing
"exec -- [GetAppPath OFSExtractor32.exe false]"
    (procedure "Extract3DPlanesMain" line 13)
    invoked from within
"Extract3DPlanesMain "[file rootname $mpls].track_4114.mvc" . true"
    (procedure "GenerateAvs" line 1598)
    invoked from within
"GenerateAvs"
    invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen invoke "
    invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen instate !disabled { .nbf5.gf.gen invoke } "
    invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen instate pressed { .nbf5.gf.gen state !pressed; .nbf5.gf.gen instate !disabled { .nbf5.gf.gen invoke } } "
    (command bound to event)
I mounted the ISO using Windows’ tool (Right-click and "Bereitstellen" on a German Windows) and selected that drive ("F:") as source. Other settings I left at their default settings, except:
  • Tab 2: Selected all streams and marked the last 4 subtitle streams as "forced"
  • Deselected the "[ ] Use 5.1 core of DTS-HD, …"
  • Selected subtitle types "3D only" and stream format "BluRay SUP"
  • Tab 5: Stereoskopy [x] Half Top & Bottom
  • x264 encoder options [x] BD compatible

Since I don’t have the original BluRay anymore, I unfortunately can’t re-rip. A 3D.mvc.mkv made from the ISO using MakeMKV plays ok on several players, but of course shows only the left-eye (2D) view on my KODI and Samsung TV (MVC tracks contained in MKV, as well as all mentioned subtitle tracks).

Trying to use this 3D.mvc.mkv as an input for BD3D2MK3D also fails.

Help much appreciated! Is it possible that "OFSExtractor32.exe" from the toolset doesn’t work on a 64-bit Win11? Or still has a bug?

The log is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BD3D2MK3D.log.txt (4.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Moonbase; 6th September 2022 at 19:21. Reason: More info about configuration & further tries.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 12:01   #75  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, since v1.24, the old MVCPlanes2OFS.exe has been replaced with OFSExtractor.exe, after the discussion at VideoHelp starting here and continued here.

As far as I know, OFSExtractor works well under all versions of Windows, including Win 10 x64 (that I am still using), but I have not checked it in VirtualBox. Ironically, OFSExtractor has been developed because MVCPlanes2OFS did not work correctly under Linux, and its author wanted to use it independently of BD3D2MK3D under Linux. I don't know what could be the problem with VirtualBox, but IMO, it is not directly related to Windows.

Unfortunately, I don't have a suggestion right now, but I will try to re-introduce MVCPlanes2OFS, with an option to select the extractor that is best suited for your hardware. In the meantime, could you try to extract the OFS filess in VirtualBox directly from the command line ? The syntax is very simple:
Code:
OFSExtractor32.exe "video_stream.mvc" "output directory"
And let me know if it works.

[EDIT] If you prefer, you can also try v1.23, the latest version using MVCPlanes2OFS. Download it here.

Last edited by r0lZ; 7th September 2022 at 13:05.
Old 8th September 2022, 18:30   #76  |  Link
Moonbase

Yup, it’d be really great to (eventually) have something that works on pure Linux, without having to use a Windows VM (and license) just for the purpose of running BD3D2MK3D… ;-)

I’ll have to redo the unmuxing (deleted all files except the logs after it failed) in order to try your suggestion. Will let you know!

EDIT: Here are the results: I opened a CMD prompt, changed into the target directory, and started OFSExtractor32.exe. After a few seconds, it returns to the prompt, without generating any kind of directory, files, or error messages:

Code:
C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity (2013)\00098>\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe "00098.track_4114.mvc" "test-ofs"

C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity (2013)\00098>
It doesn’t make any difference if the target directory already exists or not (tried both). OFSExtractor32.exe also doesn’t produce any output on these commands:

Code:
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe /?
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe -h
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe --help
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe --version
In case it’s needed, here are the installed .NET Framework versions (Win11 default):

Code:
C:\>dir %WINDIR%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v* /O:-N /B
v4.0.30319
v2.0.50727
v1.1.4322
v1.0.3705

C:\>dir %WINDIR%\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v* /O:-N /B
v4.0.30319
According to RegEdit, it’s actually Version 4.8.04161.

Last edited by Moonbase; 8th September 2022 at 19:04. Reason: Add results of extraction test.
Old 9th September 2022, 08:21   #77  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase View Post
Yup, it’d be really great to (eventually) have something that works on pure Linux, without having to use a Windows VM (and license) just for the purpose of running BD3D2MK3D… ;-)
Unfortunately, BD3D2MK3D relies on many M$-only utilities, so that's impossible. Perhaps you could try to run it under Wine HQ? Honestly, I don't know if it works.
Quote:
I’ll have to redo the unmuxing (deleted all files except the logs after it failed) in order to try your suggestion. Will let you know!

EDIT: Here are the results: I opened a CMD prompt, changed into the target directory, and started OFSExtractor32.exe. After a few seconds, it returns to the prompt, without generating any kind of directory, files, or error messages:

Code:
C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity (2013)\00098>\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe "00098.track_4114.mvc" "test-ofs"

C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity (2013)\00098>
It doesn’t make any difference if the target directory already exists or not (tried both). OFSExtractor32.exe also doesn’t produce any output on these commands:
Code:
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe /?
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe -h
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe --help
\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\OFSExtractor32.exe --version
Without any argument, OFSExtractor should output this:
Code:
OFSExtractor 1.1-beta2-1-g1d345fb 32bit by TheGreatMcPain (aka Sixsupersonic on doom9)
Last git commit was on Jul 23 2022 21:43:44 UTC.

Usage: OFSExtractor32.exe [-license] <input file> <output folder> [-fps # -dropframe]

-license : Print license (MIT).

<input file> : Can be a raw MVC stream, a H264+MVC combined stream (like those from MakeMKV),
                 or a M2TS file. (M2TS is not fully supported.)
                 Using '-' will read from stdin.

<output folder> : The output folder which will contain the ofs files.
                    If undefined the current directory will be used.

Advanced Options: Use with care!

-fps # : Must be value between 1 and 4, 6, or 7. See Table.
           This will override the fps value that would normally come from the MVC stream.

FPS Conversion Table:
           1 : 23.976 fps
           2 : 24 fps
           3 : 25 fps
           4 : 29.97 fps
           6 : 50 fps
           7 : 59.94 fps

-dropframe : Set drop_frame_flag within the resulting OFS files.
               Can only be used with FPS value 4.
And with /?, this:
Code:
fopen(): Invalid argument
Failed to open '/?'
Obviously, it doesn't work under your VM.
Quote:

In case it’s needed, here are the installed .NET Framework versions
BD3D2MK3D should not need .NET at all.

Have you tried to run v1.23 ?
Old 9th September 2022, 12:54   #78  |  Link
Moonbase

I forgot to mention: Without any params, OFSExtractor32.exe also returns nothing but silently falls back to the prompt.

I used BD3D2MK3D 1.23 before, on a Win7 VM (installed from the one 7z file you link to), as stated above. Where would I officially download v1.23? Your "homepage" (at VideoHelp) doesn’t give any hints, and the first post in here also shows 1.22 being the current.

Re .NET: Hm. Your homepage says:

Quote:
BD3D2MK3D can "burn" (hardcode) the 3D subtitles on the video. It's useful if your 3D TV cannot display the 3D subtitles correctly. For the best result, it is recommended to burn the subtitles in BD SUP format. For this, you need to install the Microsoft .NET Framework v4. If it is not installed, the subtitles in the old VobSub (DVD IDX/SUB) format will be used, and the result will be less good.
(although I do not intend to "burn" the subtitles into the video)

N.B.: I don’t believe the VM being the cause—Win11 is rather nitpicky when installing, and it runs other Win11 software just fine. Besides, it is a legal and activated Win 11 Pro version, I actually used a real licensed Product Key for it. (VM settings: i7 CPU, 4 CPUs, 8GB RAM)

Maybe someone could try OFSExtractor32.exe on a hardware-based Win 11 Pro install to see if it gives the same symptoms?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
[EDIT] If you prefer, you can also try v1.23, the latest version using MVCPlanes2OFS. Download it here.
177 errors when trying to unpack using 7-Zip?! (Using 7-Zip 22.01 (x64))

Last edited by Moonbase; 9th September 2022 at 14:04.
Old 9th September 2022, 13:27   #79  |  Link
Moonbase

Guess I found the culprit—you might want to talk to TheGreatMcPain again:

From TheGreatMcPain’s GitLab releases page, I downloaded:
  • v1.0 of OFSExtractor32.exe and OFSExtractor64.exe. Both show the help text when invoked without params.
  • v1.1-beta2
    • OFSExtractor32.exe shows nothing when invoked without params! So maybe some build error?
    • OFSExtractor64.exe shows the help when invoked without params.

Trying to use the downloaded OFSExtractor64.exe, I get an empty "test-ofs" directory and the program seems to abort (without any error message):

Code:
C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity_(2013)\00098>\Users\Anyone\Downloads\OFSExtractor64.exe "00098.track_4114.mvc" "test-ofs"
OFSExtractor 1.1-beta2-1-g1d345fb 64bit by TheGreatMcPain (aka Sixsupersonic on doom9)
Last git commit was on Jul 23 2022 21:43:44 UTC.

Searching file for 3D-Planes.

Progress: 1%
Progress: 2%
Progress: 3%
Progress: 4%
Progress: 5%
Progress: 6%
Progress: 7%
Progress: 8%
Progress: 9%
Progress: 10%
Progress: 11%
Progress: 12%
Progress: 13%
Progress: 14%
Progress: 15%
Progress: 16%
Progress: 17%
Progress: 18%
Progress: 19%
Progress: 20%
Progress: 21%
Progress: 22%
Progress: 23%
Progress: 24%
Progress: 25%
Progress: 26%
Progress: 27%
Progress: 28%
Progress: 29%
Progress: 30%
Progress: 31%
Progress: 32%
Progress: 33%
Progress: 34%
Progress: 35%
Progress: 36%
Progress: 37%
Progress: 38%
Progress: 39%
Progress: 40%
Progress: 41%
Progress: 42%
Progress: 43%
Progress: 44%
Progress: 45%
Progress: 46%
Progress: 47%
Progress: 48%
Progress: 49%
Progress: 50%
Progress: 51%
Progress: 52%
Progress: 53%
Progress: 54%
Progress: 55%
Progress: 56%
Progress: 57%
Progress: 58%
Progress: 59%
Progress: 60%
Progress: 61%
Progress: 62%
Progress: 63%
Progress: 64%
Progress: 65%
Progress: 66%
Progress: 67%
Progress: 68%
Progress: 69%
Progress: 70%
Progress: 71%
Progress: 72%
Progress: 73%
Progress: 74%
Progress: 75%
Progress: 76%
Progress: 77%
Progress: 78%
Progress: 79%
Progress: 80%
Progress: 81%
Progress: 82%
Progress: 83%
Progress: 84%
Progress: 85%
Progress: 86%
Progress: 87%
Progress: 88%
Progress: 89%
Progress: 90%
Progress: 91%
Progress: 92%
Progress: 93%
Progress: 94%
Progress: 95%
Progress: 96%
Progress: 97%
Progress: 98%
Progress: 99%
Progress: 100%

Checking 3D-Planes for valid depth values.

3D-Plane #00
NumFrames: 130873
Minimum depth: -2
Maximum depth: 36
Average depth:
C:\Users\Anyone\Documents\Gravity_(2013)\00098>
The MVC track is shown as having 8,19 GB (8.801.036.008 Bytes). Just in case.

---

EDIT: Instead of using my ~31 GB ISO rip, you can also reproduce the error using a small sample file from the official KODI wiki: From the "3D Test Clips", download #2 "3D MVC ISO Sample #2 with 3D Subtitles", mount the downloaded ISO and try to convert it using BD3D2MK3D:
Attached Images

Last edited by Moonbase; 9th September 2022 at 15:52. Reason: Add links to small test file & screenshot to reproduce error.
Old 10th September 2022, 13:23   #80  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
I forgot to mention: Without any params, OFSExtractor32.exe also returns nothing but silently falls back to the prompt.

I used BD3D2MK3D 1.23 before, on a Win7 VM (installed from the one 7z file you link to), as stated above. Where would I officially download v1.23?
I gave you the link for v1.23 here. But I suppose you have not noticed my edit.
Quote:
Your "homepage" (at VideoHelp) doesn’t give any hints, and the first post in here also shows 1.22 being the current.
Right. I forgot to change the version number in the first post.
v1.24 has been announced here, and v1.25 in the next post.

Quote:
Re .NET: Hm. Your homepage says:
(although I do not intend to "burn" the subtitles into the video)
Right again. I forgot also the Avisynth filter that displays the BD SUP stream over the video. Anyway, if you have not used that option, .NET should not be involved.

Quote:
EDIT:

177 errors when trying to unpack using 7-Zip?! (Using 7-Zip 22.01 (x64))
Right again ! Sorry, I have moved in the mountains, and here, internet works very strangely ! I have uploaded it again, and this time, it should be good.