Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st December 2008, 15:57   #1  |  Link
shmendrapolk

Lossless video compression for archiving?

Hi,

Sorry if this should be in a sub-forum but it didn't seem to fit the categories.
I have tons of home movies, some in DV avi (from a mini-dv camcorder) and some in Mpeg shot with my canon elph. I use a fairly small percentage in making my "produced" home movies, but I want to archive the rest for possible future use.

But I'm running out of external hard drive space. Windows NTFS native compression option doesn't actually save space with video files.

Is there any way to compress DV and/or mpeg files for archiving to save hard drive space in a lossless manner? I don't care if they are unplayable while archived, but it's important that they can be uncompressed and returned to their original state at a later time.

Thanks!
shmendrapolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 16:15   #2  |  Link

Buy more external storage. It's very cheap these days.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 17:57   #3  |  Link
shmendrapolk

So does that mean there is no way to compress it to save space?
I'm surrounded by way too many hard drives. Moreover, due to my lack of trust of technology, I need two copies of everything, so 200gb (and counting) of archived video footage means two separate high capacity drives.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:04   #4  |  Link
Irakli

@shmendrapolk

DV avi files are already compressed, so I don't think it is possible to reduce their size further in a lossless manner. However, you could try is running some really strong archiver like 7-zip to compress your DV's, but even in this case the size reduction will most likely be very small (probably 3 - 5 %, but that's just my guess).
Irakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 18:13   #5  |  Link
shmendrapolk

What about the Mpeg files shot my digital cameras and those hard drive/dvd based camcorders?
Old 1st December 2008, 18:22   #6  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmendrapolk View Post
What about the Mpeg files shot my digital cameras and those hard drive/dvd based camcorders?
Same thing. If it was possible to compress them better losslessly the MPEG2 standard would have included that.

200GB is nothing these days. You can get reasonably priced 1000 GB drives quite easily now.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 18:45   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

@shmendrapolk

Hi!
Quote:
I need two copies of everything, so 200gb (and counting) of archived video footage means two separate high capacity drives.
Or two sets of 45 DVD5s each at approximately 25 cents (US) each, for a total combined cost of approximately $23US - with the ability to make unlimited low cost additions as your needs increase ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 21:40   #8  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@shmendrapolk

Hi!Or two sets of 45 DVD5s each at approximately 25 cents (US) each, for a total combined cost of approximately $23US - with the ability to make unlimited low cost additions as your needs increase ;>}
Heh, I always wondered why someone would buy blank dvds, when harddrives were cheaper and definitely more convenient (just plug & go with eSata and immediate 500GB available)...

I guess it matters where you are located and how much levies you pay for blank media (here 50 dvdr5 is about the same price as 500GB HD - actually just checked one store and the price was exactly the same)...
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 21:45   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

@Maccara

Hi!

In addition to the (in the U.S.) low cost per blank DVD5, I prefer to use them for backup storage because of the difference in the "loss risk factor" - If the hard drive fails, you risk losing everything, whereas, if a DVD fails, you've only lost the contents of that individual DVD...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 21:50   #10  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
@Maccara

Hi!

In addition to the (in the U.S.) low cost per blank DVD5, I prefer to use them for backup storage because of the difference in the "loss risk factor" - If the hard drive fails, you risk losing everything, whereas, if a DVD fails, you've only lost the contents of that individual DVD...
Yes, that's true, but with these prices I can easily duplicate all data and have plenty to spare for even ECC data with the same cost as the dvdrs. Secure enough for me. (I "might" think differently, if dvdrs' would be even remotely cost effective solution here - I only need a few for emergency media)
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 22:51   #11  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
@Maccara

Hi!

harddrive just don't fail often though, they usually give you warning(SMART anyone?)
plus 4 1TB drives + Raid5 = 3TB of storage thats got 99.999% reliability...

or you could got 5 drives and raidz-2
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 00:11   #12  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

AFAIK, x264 has a "lossless" mode, although i don't know if it is truly lossless. It can only be decoded by CoreAVC currently, though. The advantage would be superior compression. My calculations show about a 45% increase in compression over lagarith.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 00:41   #13  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyx View Post
AFAIK, x264 has a "lossless" mode, although i don't know if it is truly lossless. It can only be decoded by CoreAVC currently, though. The advantage would be superior compression. My calculations show about a 45% increase in compression over lagarith.
His files are already lossily compressed. A lossless compressor will not gain any compression (in fact, it'll lose a whole ton).
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 01:28   #14  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Missed that ^, never mind my suggestion.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 05:43   #15  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

Yuvsoft lossless in yv12 mode (all posssible destination formats are yv12, so I don't consider this a loss) can usually outcompress dv video. Of course, it isn't a sure thing, since dv is cbr, and lossless compression by nature is completely vbr, noise, and picture stability also play a role. Its very slow, and will offer no improvement on your mpeg files, but its probably your best option.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, lossless, video