Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th March 2024, 05:32   #1001  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
As I see, QTGMC also has a denoising option, and shouldn't ff3dfilter be called already during executing QTGMC?
Well, if remove libfftw3f-3.dll from c:\windows\System32 then QTGMC will still work for me but QTGMC(EZDenoise>0) will NOT work unless that dll is present. But wiki says "MVTools2 need the FFTW3 library" and MVTools2 is required for default QTGMC processing, so I have no idea why QTGMC still works without it maybe someone could explain that

On a separate note I deleted my previous comment about SLRad because after more testing the info I wrote was wrong. The way QTGMC sharpens the image is still somewhat dynamic and unpredictable depending on duplicate frames in the clip and InputType. In the end I settle on 0.2 for InputType=1 and 0.4 for InputType=2&0 but I'm still testing with lots of content. Note: static test patterns should not be used because it's temporal sharpening. What you want is a scene with a little bit of camera movement with an actors face at a distance, then look how sharp their facial features are compared to no QTGMC at all. I think that might be the optimal sharpness setting, maybe.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 19th March 2024 at 05:34.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 06:58   #1002  |  Link
kedautinh12

MVTool2 just need the fftw3 libraries in some functions. Did you try fftw3 3.3.10 version?
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...ftw-3-3-7-DLLs
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 07:17   #1003  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedautinh12 View Post
Did you try fftw3 3.3.10 version?
It looks like that one is from 2018, and mine is from 2016. It's working fine so I won't muck with it for now.

Did some more sharpness tests and came to the conclusion it's not worth messing with the advanced sharpening settings as they can make an improvement on one scene and then do the opposite on another scene. Probably because it's a temporal filter so it all depends on what's moving, whether previous frame was a duplicate, etc. etc.
Old 19th March 2024, 10:03   #1004  |  Link
kedautinh12

3.3.10 from 2021 not 3.3.7 from 2018. You need check comment below
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 12:20   #1005  |  Link
DTL

" why QTGMC still works without it "

MAnalyse only uses fftw if dct>0. So for spatial-only search modes it does not require external fftw.dll and does not try to load it. So someone may try to look into QTGMC script (which modes uses MAnalyse with dct=0) and add to documentation the description of modes not required fftw.dll as dependency.

In current documentation at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC

DCT (0...10) Modes to use DCT (frequency analysis) or SATD as part of the block matching process - see MVTools2 documentation for choices. Default: 0

As I see in that version https://raw.githubusercontent.com/re...0up/QTGMC.avsi DCT is not enabled in any internal preset - so only user can set DCT>0 as QTCMC() params and cause loading of fftw.dll.

Last edited by DTL; 19th March 2024 at 12:28.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2024, 14:58   #1006  |  Link
flossy_cake

Thanks for clarifying.

Today I was playing around with LimitedSharpen which uses MaskTools2 and RGTools, which if I'm not mistaken are the same libraries QTGMC uses to apply sharpening.

Anyway I find the sharpening quality of LimitedSharpen is better as it produces less artefacts. I wonder if it's possible to mod QTGMC to use LimitedSharpen instead.

I had considered just doing QTGMC(Sharpness=0).LimitedSharpen() but I don't think it's the same because QTGMC sharpening is temporally limited (SLMode=2) so it would need to be modded into QTGMC itself but I don't have the expertise.