Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 19th October 2009, 07:03   #1  |  Link
Dare's User Name

WTV converter needed

I need a simple freeware demuxer or remuxer for WTV files. Freeware, because we shouldn't have to pay somebody to solve a file conversion problem that Microsoft created.

It should convert it to MPEG or TS without transcoding. That means it should preserve the original high definition resolution.

Cyberlink PowerDirector does this exact conversion, but it often freezes during the conversion if it encounters an error in the stream, and does not produce a usable file.

WTVtoMPEG also does this conversion, but it costs 30 bucks. I just don't have money to throw around right now. A freeware solution is needed, like every other video tool I use.
Dare's User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 16:04   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

The first item that appears as the result of a simple Googlesearch for "WTV":

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/18/converting-wtv-files/

Quote:
WTV is the default recording format in Windows Media Center if the TV Pack has been installed and it is also the default recording format in Windows 7 Beta. Microsoft has announced plans to switch from the previously used dvr-ms format to the new wtv format. A few commercial applications can convert wtv files to common video formats like avi or mpeg. There are unfortunately not many free video converters that can convert wtv files.

The only working way at the moment is to convert the wtv video to dvr-ms and from there to another format. That’s not really practicable but it probably is only a matter of time until additional video converters add support for the wtv format. The command line tool ToDvrms can convert wtv files to the dvr-ms format.

The easiest way to convert the wtv files is by placing the todvrms.exe converter in the same folder as the wtv file to be converted. The command is the following:

todvrms.exe c:\test.wtv c:\test.dvr-ms

This will convert the test.wtv file to the dvr-ms format. The developer provides access to another tool that can be used to convert dvr-ms videos to another video format. The software
DVRMSToolbox comes with a graphical user interface and can be used to convert the dvr-ms videos.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 07:06   #3  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

just a little problem

the wtv to dvr-ms conversion fails for stream with h264 codec
it works only for mpeg2 video stream

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 07:52   #4  |  Link
Dare's User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

The first item that appears as the result of a simple Googlesearch for "WTV":

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/18/converting-wtv-files/

Thanks setarip_old, but your suggestion violates the only requirement I mentioned. Thou shalt not transcode.

PowerDirector simply extracts the MPEG stream without altering it. It can process a 1 hour recording in 5 minutes or less.

Quote:
The only working way at the moment is to convert the wtv video to dvr-ms and from there to another format. That’s not really practicable but it probably is only a matter of time until additional video converters add support for the wtv format. The command line tool ToDvrms can convert wtv files to the dvr-ms format.
Hence, the asking for such.

So, how about it?
Dare's User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 02:50   #5  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Win7 has a built in utility, wtv->dvr-ms for mpeg-2 streams. Right click on the .wtv file and select convert.

I'm waiting for this also, as I want mkv files, and I want to get rid of commercials. Right now, I record but for archival still have to scene the episode.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:04   #6  |  Link
rojo0422

wtv converter needed

I am running win7 home premium the utliity is not on my os,any idea what program to use to convert these wtv files,i used wtv to avi it converted but the end result was bad, very jittery video...feedback would b much appreciated..cheers rojo
rojo0422 is offline   Reply With Quote