Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2021, 08:56   #18921  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hi GZZ,

I would classify a long 4K encode anything approaching 3 hours, and over, more that 180 + chunks !!!

I was doing The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, extended version, using MDegrain1.(3 hours 4 minutes, I believe)

I had it setup on my Ryzen 3950X (as the client), and had a couple of servers helping along, a 3930K, Xeon E5-2697 v2, and dual Xeon E5-2690.

Now I have to say that I was NEVER intending on doing this in one "session", so I was going to have to rely on the resume function, that is sort of the DE process.

So I got thru approx 80 - 90 chunks the first day, Ripbot shutdown OK, next time, it resumed, so I did another 40 +/- chunks, using different "servers", but when it was time to shutdown for the day, I waited until the processing chunks were done, and then close them individually, then when I went to close down RipBot, it just froze, "not responding", and stayed that way for quite some time, until eventually I just had to kill it....I just knew that next time, there will be a resuming problem...

So next time, sure enough, it had "forgotten" where is was up to (approx 120 chunks had been done), and it started from chunk #1 !!!

Because it had started processing I thought there was no real course of action to be taken, so I just stopped it in disgust, and deleted the job.

Some would say that this might be my fault by not doing it in "one hit", but I refuse to do that due to electricity costs.

So for reliability of the resumption of DE, it needs to be some how backed up, or error checked during the process, so this doesn't happen.

Now I can't tell you what files I have problems with, as it's random !!

I would like to ask you about the ETA counter....do you find that it's "slow" when doing 4K encodes ??? I find that what ever it display's, you need to multiply that by about 3, (eg: a 6 hours displayed ETA, is closer to about 18), by the time the encode if done.

OK, so how long do your looooong encodes take, with your hardware setup ??

Do you do your encode in one hit ??

See, if no one else has to stop their encodes, they have no idea what I'm on about, and I am made out to be the "bad guy" !!!

I havent had an issue with stopping after a specfic chunk. I just disable the servers in Encoding Client and when all chunk is stopped I click the Abort button the Ripbot264 window, DONT close the Encoding Client by clicking the X. If I then restart the job (dont do any editing or change any settings as it will restart all the chunks), then it have worked just fine for me. But normally I do one movie encoding at a time.

I think we have talked about a function to pause DE or abort it when all currently encoding chunk finish, so you can press abort and it will ask you to abort after currently encoding chunk or just abort now and lose currently encoding chunks. That would be a nice feature. Also a big fat Pause button in the Encoding Client to just pause/unpause current encoding, when you need processing power for something else.

I have done all these with MD1
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (Extended Cut).mkv 27.212.789.907
The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (Extended Cut).mkv 25.732.263.184
The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies (Extended Cut).mkv 21.143.328.869
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Extended Cut).mkv 30.316.006.034
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Cut).mkv 24.249.621.328
The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Extended Cut).mkv 22.888.413.941

its the final size and I didnt have any issues at all. CRF 18, x265, HDR, copping, no resize and MD1. Chunk size is 2 min. So that gave me around 130 chunks for Return of the king extended edition. My encoding speed in DE with 2 machines and this kind of movie is around 4-5 fps. So it took well over 20 hours and close to a full day. I believe return of the king extended edition is the longest movie you will properly encounter.

X265 settings from MKV:
x265 3.4+22-ga988fbbac:[Windows][GCC 10.2.0][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=4 / numa-pools=+ / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=2869 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=20 / lookahead-slices=8 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=1 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / selective-sao=4 / early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(40000000,50) / cll=636,103 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.03 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qpconformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0

About the ETA counter I find it estimate is ok, you have to do a few chunks for the ETA to settle, specially because the first chunk is sometimes fast because of black frames, logos without any noise and when the movies starts in chunk 2-3 and then it settles correctly. The ETA is based on Avg time of each chunk, thats why its off with just a few chuncks. On 4K movies it can take time, as one chunk might take 10-20 min to encode. So getting 3-4 chunks encoded will take 1 hour. I cant see you can do any better, except for collecting avg. time from other encodings with simular settings, but that will be to overdo it.

Last edited by GZZ; 7th February 2021 at 09:08.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 10:16   #18922  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
I havent had an issue with stopping after a specfic chunk. I just disable the servers in Encoding Client and when all chunk is stopped I click the Abort button the Ripbot264 window, DONT close the Encoding Client by clicking the X. If I then restart the job (dont do any editing or change any settings as it will restart all the chunks), then it have worked just fine for me. But normally I do one movie encoding at a time.
Thanks for the great reply

I generally try and stop the chunks, as they finish, before I shut down, just in case, or you'd lose that part of the chunk, if you just quit.

Thing is, when you Abort you get a pop up warning, which is a bit misleading, but you've gotta do, what ya gotta do.

Quote:
I think we have talked about a function to pause DE or abort it when all currently encoding chunk finish, so you can press abort and it will ask you to abort after currently encoding chunk or just abort now and lose currently encoding chunks. That would be a nice feature. Also a big fat Pause button in the Encoding Client to just pause/unpause current encoding, when you need processing power for something else.
Yes, that would be a great new feature, I'm sure several builds / years ago, there was a couple of different ways to shut down, but that was reduced to one

Quote:
I have done all these with MD1
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (Extended Cut).mkv 27.212.789.907
The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (Extended Cut).mkv 25.732.263.184
The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies (Extended Cut).mkv 21.143.328.869
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Extended Cut).mkv 30.316.006.034
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Cut).mkv 24.249.621.328
The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Extended Cut).mkv 22.888.413.941

its the final size and I didnt have any issues at all. CRF 18, x265, HDR, copping, no resize and MD1. Chunk size is 2 min. So that gave me around 130 chunks for Return of the king extended edition. My encoding speed in DE with 2 machines and this kind of movie is around 4-5 fps. So it took well over 20 hours and close to a full day. I believe return of the king extended edition is the longest movie you will properly encounter.
So those numbers I hi lighted in red is the finished size, in mb or something, so just over 30Gb, correct ??

And you use 2 minute chunks...

Not sure why I use 1 minute chunks, probably the impression that it's doing them faster, I guess.

I'll let you know what my fps is, when I'm game to try a 4K encode again.

I did a couple 1080p movies today, x264 to x265, mdg2, took about 1 1/2 hours @ about 50 fps. No DE issues...

Quote:
About the ETA counter I find it estimate is ok, you have to do a few chunks for the ETA to settle, specially because the first chunk is sometimes fast because of black frames, logos without any noise and when the movies starts in chunk 2-3 and then it settles correctly. The ETA is based on Avg time of each chunk, thats why its off with just a few chunks. On 4K movies it can take time, as one chunk might take 10-20 min to encode. So getting 3-4 chunks encoded will take 1 hour. I cant see you can do any better, except for collecting avg. time from other encodings with similar settings, but that will be to overdo it.
Yeah, schools out on that one, I have had issues with it, ever since I started doing 4K encodes, I just don't think it catches up properly, at all
Old 7th February 2021, 17:57   #18923  |  Link
Ryushin

I use CQ18 for all my encodes. The real issue in quality and size is removing the grain.

For example, I just re-did the Harry Potter series as that was one of my first 4K encodes back when they first came out and I was never happy with its size. I did do CQ18 with that as well, but no degraining.

Here is the comparison on just the video size, without the soundtrack.
Before (CQ18 no degraining)
19G Harry_Potter_1_The_Sorcerers_Stone_2001_4K.mkv
18G Harry_Potter_2_The_Chamber_of_Secrets_2002_4K.mkv
23G Harry_Potter_3_The_Prisoner_of_Azkaban_2004_4K.mkv
20G Harry_Potter_4_The_Goblet_of_Fire_2005_4K.mkv
18G Harry_Potter_5_The_Order_of_The_Phoenix_2007_4K.mkv
17G Harry_Potter_6_The_Half-Blood_Prince_2009_4K.mkv
17G Harry_Potter_7_The_Deathly_Hallows_Part1_2010_4K.mkv
18G Harry_Potter_7_The_Deathly_Hallows_Part2_2011_4K.mkv

After (CQ18 MDegrain2 (thSAD 100-150))
5.98G (MD2-150) Harry_Potter_1_The_Sorcerers_Stone_2001_4K.mkv
5.30G (MD2-150) Harry_Potter_2_The_Chamber_of_Secrets_2002_4K.mkv
8.31G (MD2-150) Harry_Potter_3_The_Prisoner_of_Azkaban_2004_4K.mkv
5.49G (MD2-150) Harry_Potter_4_The_Goblet_of_Fire_2005_4K.mkv
5.20G (MD2-100) Harry_Potter_5_The_Order_of_The_Phoenix_2007_4K.mkv
5.57G (MD2-100) Harry_Potter_6_The_Half-Blood_Prince_2009_4K.mkv
6.54G (MD2-100) Harry_Potter_7_The_Deathly_Hallows_Part1_2010_4K.mkv
7.65G (MD2-150) Harry_Potter_7_The_Deathly_Hallows_Part2_2011_4K.mkv

My wife commented that the new encodes looked a lot better. Just removing that smidgen of grain transforms the video. CQ18 should give you the same picture quality as the original source while the video is playing. If you want to err on the side of more quality, use CQ16.

If I remember correctly, I think I did MDegrain2 with a thSAD of 150 on each Lord of the Rings. Some of these I ran through 2-3 times with different thSAD settings ranging from 100-200 to see what the size turns out to be. My final size (using MKVToolNix to stitch (append) them together into one file)

Lord_of_the_Rings_1_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_2001_EE_4K.mkv 12.9GB
Lord_of_the_Rings_2_Two_Towers_2002_EE_4K.mkv 12.5GB
Lord_of_the_Rings_3_Return_of_the_King_2003_EE_4K.mkv 16.8GB

Just tuning the MDegrain thSAD values can result in a huge decrease in size.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 18:41   #18924  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
It is exactly the same
Thanx, that asnwer helped a lot.
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 23:51   #18925  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
So those numbers I hi lighted in red is the finished size, in mb or something, so just over 30Gb, correct ??

Not sure why I use 1 minute chunks, probably the impression that it's doing them faster, I guess.
Yes, the size is in Byte, so divide it by 30.316.006.034 / 1024 (kb) / 1024 (mb) / 1024 (gb) = Size in GB: ~28GB

If your computers in your DE cluster has the same speed, then using larger chunks will save a little bit of time starting new chunks. But if the slow machine has the last chunk (which is always bigger), then it might take longer then using smaller size chunks. I use 2 min as its a fine ratio for me and limits the number of chunks by half compared to 1 min.

For 1080p encoding, I use 2 DE Servers on each machine (4 encoding in total), I start the DE server with low priority, it satuates the CPU and gives med around 65 FPS on a 1080p encoding without filter, CRF18, X265.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 15:35   #18926  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
Well, GPU encoding uses the available GPU's in your system, generally slower, but it allows for the use of different filters...

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks, it did. So I just want to make sure I got it correctly: if I switch to an equivalent CPU without integrated graphics, my GPU encoding time will increase since it usually uses both integrated and dedicated cards at the same time? I didn't know that. I always assumed it was using the discrete card only.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 23:31   #18927  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Thanks, it did. So I just want to make sure I got it correctly: if I switch to an equivalent CPU without integrated graphics, my GPU encoding time will increase since it usually uses both integrated and dedicated cards at the same time? I didn't know that. I always assumed it was using the discrete card only.
TBH, I don't use GPU for anything...

What you'll need to do is check what devices are shown under the "OpenCL" tab, and edit your switches to enable what you've got.

At the bottom of the "OpenCL" screen, it will show what device is available for certain functions, if you have the left device displayed, then that will assist during normal encoding (I think), but if you choose GPU decoding or filtering, then that device will be used to process.

I think that's when the switches come into play, when you have multiple GPU's, or you want to be specific in it's use.

Might be a bit of trial & error for you at first.
Old 9th February 2021, 08:14   #18928  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Using a GPGPU may accelerate the calculation when the algorithm gains a lot from massive parallelism, much more than uploading the video frames from main RAM to video RAM and downloading the results cost overhead.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2021, 10:25   #18929  |  Link
slalom

@Atak

Download poster doesn't work again
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2021, 14:23   #18930  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
6c966b28-e0dd-48f6-b1c7-a56e8a275ec0
What does this ini file do and where should I put it?
Old 13th February 2021, 14:45   #18931  |  Link
Ryushin

Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)

Based on what I've been reading, FFMPEG should be able to encode 5.1 E-AC3. Can this be add as an option to RB? Based on what I've been reading compression is similar to AAC and E-AC3 can be decoded by modern AVRs which makes it a good replacement for me instead of using for AC3 and AAC.
Old 13th February 2021, 15:46   #18932  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Based on what I've been reading, FFMPEG should be able to encode 5.1 E-AC3. Can this be add as an option to RB? Based on what I've been reading compression is similar to AAC and E-AC3 can be decoded by modern AVRs which makes it a good replacement for me instead of using for AC3 and AAC.
Yup, I jumped from THD/DTSHD -> AC3 to EAC3 format but I kept the 640kbps that I used in AC3.
Old 13th February 2021, 16:06   #18933  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Yup, I jumped from THD/DTSHD -> AC3 to EAC3 format but I kept the 640kbps that I used in AC3.
That sounds like a good idea. Though I want to keep 3D audio, so I have to keep the full THD+Atmos and DTS:X tracks. But for those shows that have DTS-HD in 5.1, it would be better to use E-AC3 at 640K, and for the streaming versions I create I'll use E-AC3 at 320K instead of AAC.

I looked and I could find no free tools that could do 7.1 channel E-AC3.
Old 14th February 2021, 00:51   #18934  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
What does this ini file do and where should I put it?
Hi tormento, you're fairly new here....

OK, the .ini file stores all the start up & running settings for RipBot, you don't generally edit it directly (but you can), as the majority of the settings are in the GUI, and saved to the .ini.

I'm pretty sure it has to be in the main Ripbot folder !!!

The file & folder structure as extracted from the downloaded .7z file.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:16   #18935  |  Link
SKPN

I'm having an issue on one of my two PCs. I had everything working perfectly, but recently reformatted both PCs. I've got Ripbot working on one (PC1), but I cannot get it to work on the other (PC2). When launching a job from PC1, it is not able to connect to PC2 for distributed encoding. When launching from PC2, it connects to PC1 for distributed encoding, but PC2 never does any work. I can't figure out what the issue is, as all the settings appear to be correct.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but when I launch Ripbot on PC1, the encoding server also launches automatically and appears in my taskbar. When I launch on PC2, the encoding server does not appear in the taskbar, but it does appear in Task Manager.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. PC2 is my more powerful PC, so I really want to get this resolved quickly.
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 05:56   #18936  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPN View Post
I'm having an issue on one of my two PCs. I had everything working perfectly, but recently reformatted both PCs. I've got Ripbot working on one (PC1), but I cannot get it to work on the other (PC2). When launching a job from PC1, it is not able to connect to PC2 for distributed encoding. When launching from PC2, it connects to PC1 for distributed encoding, but PC2 never does any work. I can't figure out what the issue is, as all the settings appear to be correct.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but when I launch Ripbot on PC1, the encoding server also launches automatically and appears in my taskbar. When I launch on PC2, the encoding server does not appear in the taskbar, but it does appear in Task Manager.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. PC2 is my more powerful PC, so I really want to get this resolved quickly.
I recently had a similar problem, and what I did was a fresh setup on ALL the offending PC's, clean copy of RipBot, updated all it could find using Auto update, checked that the IP settings were correct, etc, etc, and it's all "happy" again

Network settings are the most important for DE, so just go thru and double check EVERYTHING !!!!

Also, I do have a similar problem with the server icon not showing in the taskbar...you might need to manually open it, then add more as needed...

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 14th February 2021 at 06:20.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 09:54   #18937  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Hi tormento, you're fairly new here....
Well, my first post in this thread is 12th June 2009, 17:51
Quote:
OK, the .ini file stores all the start up & running settings for RipBot
I asked as in the release there is a "updater.ini" while the extracted file is "update.ini", therefore my question.
Old 14th February 2021, 10:05   #18938  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Well, my first post in this thread is 12th June 2009, 17:51

I asked as in the release there is a "updater.ini" while the extracted file is "update.ini", therefore my question.
OK, fair enough

Yep, EVERYTHING needs to be kept / left in the main Ripbot folder.
Old 14th February 2021, 10:16   #18939  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPN View Post

Go to Settings, DE Tab, DE mode should be ON
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 10:21   #18940  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Go to Settings, DE Tab, DE mode should be ON
Hey...

Yep, I thought of that too, but he mentions that Encoding Server is running, just no taskbar icon, and I guess no connection.....

And I get that on one PC quite regularly....just need to start it manually.

Probably something simple

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360