Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 16th July 2021, 01:03   #301  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Perhaps of interest to some [found by trial and error on W10 1909 Home].

Code:
To manually disable Windows 10 Auto Updates, [with extreme care]

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\  [ !!! NOT NOT NOT !!! C:\Windows\SystemResources ]

As an Administrator,
With Internet disabled, Reboot, [reboot to avoid any files in SoftwareDistribution folder being currently in-use by AutoUpdate].
Take ownership of above directory, [Properties/Security/Advanced/   Owner: SYSTEM Change] (where SYSTEM is current owner, click "Change"),

Dialog box "Select User Or Group" will appear.
    Click "Advanced",
    Click "Find Now",
    Find and click your own admins user name in "Search Results", and click "OK", then "OK" again.
And tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects",
also tick "Replace All Child Object Permission entries and inheritable permission entries from this object".
Apply, and must Close Properties.

Reopen Properties of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\
and set all permissions [via Properties/Security/ EDIT button] for CREATOR/OWNER (AND/OR your own admins user name) to "Full Control", 
and all permissions for SYSTEM to "Deny", this blocks auto update check and the actual auto updates.
Now also delete all contents of the above folder, BUT NOT the folder itself, 
[without the initial reboot, it could fail to delete in-use Windows update files, so you might need to reboot now and retry delete if you forgot to reboot earlier].
Deleting the folder itself would permit system to recreate the folder, and carry on auto updates as per usual.

To allow auto updates, Delete folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and windows will re-create it, and so re-enable Windows Update.
The C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ will not be re-created until Windows again tries to Update [perhaps by user click "Check For Updates"
in Settings/Update & Security/Windows Update, OR by trying to update a driver via Device Manager, OR by using WSUS Offline Update]

When auto updates re-enabled as above, looks like you can again Pause updates for 7 days (on W10 1909 Home, Think it may be about 35 days on Pro)
[maybe you just wanna update a driver via Device Manager and not auto update].

When AutoUpdates disabled as above, updates for drivers in Device Manager, and WSUS Offline Updater will also both fail
[perhaps other type updates will fail too, eg Map or Store updates].

How to Take Ownership of a Folder in Windows 10 Using File Explorer:-
https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/article...-file-explorer
Updated a bit.

EDIT: With Windows Update as it currently is, and with all the stuff M$ has and will add to force updates, update blockers are constantly fighting a changing battle.
I think that above manual method [or some programmed version of it], might actually totally defeat M$ attempts to shove it down your throat, I guess that time will tell.
Intent of above is to be able to Freeze at a specific version of windows 10, and avoid all future FORCED Feature Updates, maybe using WSUS Offline Update to install
non feature updates. [good idea to have a system image of a good stable system, using eg free version Macrium Reflect live USB, to restore equilibrium if M$ does manage to screw you over].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th July 2021 at 18:39.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 05:54   #302  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

stainlesssssssssss might wanna take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UeSj2F-yc
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 16:04   #303  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

but woulda looked better with 95 RedTile tiled wallpaper, but having said that,
I don't know if it's art, but I like it.

Don't think it would work on Cinnamon Mint (intended for xcfe).
[I've tried quite a few 95/98/W2K/XP themes in the past, one or more were named on variations of "Redmond" I think].

still works OK in W10
Redtile [5 or 6 colors, 1.12KB]:- https://www.mediafire.com/file/sx5rg.../TILES.7z/file

EDIT:
The Heidoc W10 ISO download tool mentioned here:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27#post1883627
looks like the only way to get older W10 ISO images now, current versions of Media Creation Tool will only let you down 20H1 ISO.
(Maybe if you already have old eg 1909 MCT that may work, or maybe not).
NOTE, Heidoc W10 ISO download links are only valid for 24 hours, its an M$ limitation thing [it interrogates M$ servers to get the links].
[the obvious buttons are for download direct, on right of GUI are the copy link x64 / x86 buttons, so you can check that links are actually from M$ (or Dell where selected) servers]

EDIT: Oh yeh, if you want eg English UK/GB, then you need the English International edition ISO, NOT the misleading "English" ISO,
[which is actually the USA version (must be an M$ 'in joke' that I don't get, calling it 'English')].

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
for user on win 10 that want to directly DL an win 10 iso from microsoft.

just enter development mode on your browser and pretend to be a mobile device.
microsoft will gladly now give you a direct download to the iso.
That dont work any more either, gives download link for W10 20H1 [latest available ISO, not necessarily the one you wanted].

EDIT: What RedTile looks like

The above stuff running as bat file is the "Universal Media Creation Tool" bat script that lets you select for download, the Media Creation Tool for the ISO you want,
but that too dont work proper now, always downs the latest W10 ISO MCT downloader.
[or rather, all versions of the downloaded MCT down the latest ISO, M$ jiggery-pokery to try stop you crippling updates and builtin spyware]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th July 2021 at 02:07.
Old 25th July 2021, 20:25   #304  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

sigh, I want a vista skinpack
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 00:42   #305  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I can still see the damn £160.00 XP -> Vista upgrade box [a few yards away] that I felt conned by,
I hated that thing like you would not believe, totally had the wool pulled over my eyes to buy that thing.

Quote:
Oh yeh, if you want eg English UK/GB, then you need the English International edition ISO, NOT the misleading "English" ISO,
[which is actually the USA version (must be an M$ 'in joke' that I don't get, calling it 'English')].
Maybe this 'in joke' thing is something to do with the US mormons calling the non-mormons "the english".
(at least I think they did that in "The Witness", Harrison Ford, Kelly McGillis)
EDIT: Actually Amish, not Mormons.

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th July 2021 at 03:29.
Old 26th July 2021, 19:42   #306  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

It might surprise you all, but I don't wanna go through the hassle of keeping some plugins in one place and some plugins in another (i.e work and home), therefore I'm ready to switch permanently to Windows 10 whenever I have to encode something.
This way, I can keep x64 plugins only synced between work and home as they're gonna be literally the same.
About my personal daily life I'm not gonna use Windows 10 Enterprise (that would be wrong as it's the one I use for work and work-related stuff only), so I'm gonna use Fedora Linux (which is the one I've been using since 2016 when I moved XP to a VM).
Of course, I'm not gonna ditch XP entirely.
Just like Windows 98SE (which was my first OS), Windows XP is gonna have a place in my hearth forever and I'm gonna keep the VM on my SSD and turn it on every now and then; I've also made an SMB Share across Windows 98SE, Windows XP and Windows 10 so that I can exchange files between them.
Anyway, XP won't be my main OS anymore...

Last edited by FranceBB; 26th July 2021 at 19:44.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2021, 10:15   #307  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I guess that it will do no harm to bung this here, I'll also be able to find it again.

Been playing a bit with Linux Cinnamon Mint v20.2 [Uma] Themes thingies, and a little disturbed by the available dark themes,
they tend to have light grey text on dark grey background, not exactly vibrant to the eye.
There are some High contrast controls, but tend to be black text on blinding white background, [I hate being snow blind].

I've chosen in Preferences/System Settings/Themes/,
Windows Borders:- "Mint-Y"
Icons:- "Mint-Y Dark Purple"
Controls: - "High Contrast Inverse"
Mouse Pointer:- "DMZ-White"
DeskTop:- "Windows 10 Basic" [looks kinda like Windows 10 Dark theme, with Classic Shell installed].

The Important and default missing one is Controls [controls + background and text colors for general windows].

Anyways, found this file "High Contrast Inverse Kali Linux 1.0/2.0, GTK3/4 Themes":- https://www.cinnamon-look.org/p/1013225/
Click on Files Tab, and down this file, "174962-HighContrastInverse.zip".

Extract the folder contained in zip,
File manager, In your home folder, right click "Show Hidden Files",
Enter .themes folder and copy the extracted HighContrastInverse folder there.
Hide files again.
Go back to Preferences/System Settings/Themes/Controls/ and select "High Contrast Inverse".

The background is not as black as I might like, but text is WHITE and stands out nicely now,
I'm now a happy bunny.

EDIT: No, "DeskTop:- 'Windows 10 Basic'" that was another one, it does look like windows 10 start menu,
the one I wanted to use was perhaps Eleganser-Dark, which looks a bit like Classic Shell.

Anyways, the important one is the Controls HighContrastInverse thingy, I may choose something else for the other options,
but that Controls one is for keeps, unless I find one with total black background.

EDIT: And pure black for my wallpaper, gettin' to really like that on all my machines.
[Feisty would hate that, not 'girly' enough for him, go on, give it a try F, less is more ].

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st August 2021 at 12:30.
Old 28th August 2021, 21:35   #308  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Looks like the NHS is still very much based on Windows XP. This was spotted at St George's Hospital in London: https://i.imgur.com/QV5swTq.png - https://i.imgur.com/nwbXyRW.png

p.s not my CT Scan, it's the one of an old woman I think

Last edited by FranceBB; 28th August 2021 at 22:08.
Old 1st September 2021, 16:42   #309  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Looks like the NHS is still very much based on Windows XP.
Yep, UK Gov seems to have a lot of [custom probably] XP based systems, many thin client.
I imagine that NHS machines dont have internet access except for other NHS sites.
Thin client:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

Windows supported CPUs [W11 link near bottom of list]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-requirements

Below posted just a few days ago
W11 supported Intel processors:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
W11 supported AMD processors:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors
W11 supported Qualcomm processors [ARM]:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...omm-processors

EDIT: Thin client box something like the teeny weeny thing on the right [network connection to mini/mainframe computer]

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st September 2021 at 17:01.
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:21   #310  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at Microsoft 'cause I have an i7 6700 at home, so a Skylake and Windows 11 won't run on it, not for any particular reason other than Microsoft artificially blocking it, given that I have everything 'till AVX2 and it's a 4c/8th 2.60GHz which can go up to 3.50GHz, so it's not so crappy and it shouldn't really be regarded as "too old" to run a modern OS... -.-
I'll stick with Win10 I guess...
Still, this is planned obsolescence at its best...
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:47   #311  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes, a curious decision.
Maybe they just want guys with latest tech, and everybody else can go Linux.
One wonders if stated processors have some hidden secret functionality that adds to the likes of the Intel Management Engine AMT (Active Management Technology) type "spyware"
[I hate that stuff, by the way, AMT can only operate through the motherboard 'builtin' network device, if you want to disable it, disable motherboard network, and use plugin card].
It is not without reason that the NSA refuse to use machines with AMT, and have those with disabled AMT [some kind of electronic fuse on main board, since then all US government
have AMT disabled m/c's]. Some other countries also refuse to use AMT m/c's [not sure, think Israel might be one of them]. My Win7 Dell OptiPlex 780 has AMT disabled, think all 780's have it disabled,
there is a sticker on inside of removable case side cover with a single number on it, which reveals whether AMT or not [think mines a '3']:-
https://www.dell.com/community/Deskt...T/td-p/4593739
EDIT: Above link a bit broken, when at that link, put What does "ME disabled" really mean in search box and you should find it.

Intel Active Management Technology:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...ent_Technology
In above link there are people working on finding a reliable means of disabling AMT [I think the Purism link @ above link page is one group invloved in such],
also note the Remote Elevation of Privilege bug in IME/AMT, if hackers ever do gain full control of AMT, then its gotta be like every Christmas since year zero, all rolled into one, for them.

EDIT: The guys involved in searching for means of disabling AMT [Purism @ AMT link above, I think] say its not just an electronic fuse to disable, there is also some kind of IME/AMT ROM
hack required as IME chip is required to cause PC machine to boot. [from memory, read the Purism link].

EDIT: Purism link does not reveal their attempts to disable IME/AMT, but I think it is the same company that I'm thinking of, gotta search for it I guess.

Last edited by StainlessS; 7th December 2021 at 12:02.
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:43   #312  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Ah, I didn't know about Intel Active Management...
Makes sense, thanks for the tip...
Old 14th September 2021, 22:23   #313  |  Link
gonca

Re Win11 and requirements
Quote:
hps://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement-3806413/
hps://www.mpnrc.org/windows-11-tpm-2-0-error-fix-bypass-method/
hps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbc636GnxgA
hps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqimYJ-VakI
hps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWouHwVdUdU
hps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4cUii411E
might offer a way around
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 15:54   #314  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Re Win11 and requirements

might offer a way around
Yep...

Just to make everyone aware, Windows 11 is going to be released in October and they're now enforcing TPM 2.0 even on Virtual Machines, and of course, Virtual Box doesn't have a way to emulate nor pass through TPM 2.0, so installation will fail.
If you're on Windows 10, you won't be able to upgrade to Windows 11 and if you're on Windows 11 preview channel 'cause you have a Windows Insider account, you won't be able to update your installation and you will be left in an unsupported state in which the preview version won't be updated anymore.

this is the screenshot from one of the users on the Virtualbox forum:

https://i.imgur.com/DDXIOu8.png

as you can see, this user already had Windows 11 in Virtualbox but now that they're enforcing the TPM 2.0 check, he can no longer update.
As to what I will be doing myself, I'll stick to Windows 10 until Virtualbox will manage to get TPM 2.0 emulation in place...
Old 19th September 2021, 15:42   #315  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Win11 has worse UI even than win10. Check how different states of buttons look like now in win11 (pressed/normal/disabled). I'm just speechless...

Win7

Win10

Win11

They all look the same now?! Amazing design!
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 18:53   #316  |  Link
huhn

to be fair is that even a part of win 11?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 20:45   #317  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Yes! Those are standard buttons.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 03:09   #318  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Win11 has worse UI even than win10. Check how different states of buttons look like now in win11 (pressed/normal/disabled). I'm just speechless...

Win7

Win10

Win11

They all look the same now?! Amazing design!
I was trying to explain this to you ages ago, not sure if you can do something with custom buttons, but it's next to useless

The last paragraph of this post :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...93#post1949093

and your reply :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...00#post1949100

And I have to admit, I don't like W11 much at all, it's actually harder to find & use the basic's....W10 for me.
Old 20th September 2021, 06:10   #319  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I cannot imagine how much better a place the world would be if more indie developers had the fortitude to write drivers that would allow WinXP to work on new hardware. And better XP-compatible browsers, too. Forking Pale Moon to create Mypal and New Moon was a mistake; people should have just forked Firefox directly and made XP-compatible versions of that.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:12   #320  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
I cannot imagine how much better a place the world would be if more indie developers had the fortitude to write drivers that would allow WinXP to work on new hardware. And better XP-compatible browsers, too. Forking Pale Moon to create Mypal and New Moon was a mistake; people should have just forked Firefox directly and made XP-compatible versions of that.
There's also a Chinese guy who created a fork of Chromium 87 and it works, however it has some Chinese crap in it.
We've tried to reach out to him and we asked him for the source code and he said: "No!".

Any attempt on our side to backport chromium has failed, though...

By the way, a new version of one core api has been released: https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-API-Binaries/