Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 30th June 2018, 07:52   #2961  |  Link
DaMacFunkin

Hi where do we download the latest developed versions? Are these still on the front page are are they somewhere else now the project has forked?

Thank you.
DaMacFunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 08:06   #2962  |  Link
Yanak

Hello, last "stable" release is here 1.7.0.0 :
https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/releases

Latest "test" version released by Stax76 is here 1.7.0.6 :
https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/bl...r/changelog.md

1.7.0.6 have no issues for me and is my main version.

@dvd_maniac :
hard to say what this error is, seems like MP4box have troubles , try to do a manual demuxing using FFMPEG :
Go to Tools > Advanced > Demux,
pick your video file and select an output folder, press OK, in the next dialog select FFmpeg as demuxer to see if it can extract audio and video tracks.

If it works then you just need to import audio and video tracks separately in your project.

PS : sometimes Staxrip have issues with input files and paths being too long, renaming the input video for a shorter name does the trick, not sure if it's the problem encountered here tho.

Last edited by Yanak; 30th June 2018 at 08:23.
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 11:18   #2963  |  Link
Zetti

#DaMacFunkin

Revan654 have created a fork.

GitHub Page:
https://github.com/Revan654/staxrip/

GitHub Release Page:
https://github.com/Revan654/staxrip/releases
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 15:42   #2964  |  Link
dvd_maniac

@Yanak

Manual Demuxing works.
Going to be time consuming rather than simple batch mode since I have about 130 of these files to do...
But at least I can now do it...

Thanks.
dvd_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:29   #2965  |  Link
Yanak

Do all your MP4 files fail when trying to be demuxed by MP4Box ? I mean did you done a few more tests on some other of those 130 files and all resulted in the same type of error ?

Maybe you should try to replace MP4Box.exe by a more recent version, maybe you have an old one and it have some issues, hard to say but it won't be the first time it happens.

Edit : this is the one i use, self compiled not long ago, MP4Box version 0.7.2-DEV-rev563-g3096514bb-master : https://www99.zippyshare.com/v/L1YIQVvP/file.html
Try to replace it by the version you have inside staxrip, located here "\StaxRip\Apps\MP4Box" to see if it makes any difference.

Also did you tried to rename the mp4 file for something with a much shorter name like "video.mp4", just for testing purpose.

If still wrong you can try this if you use staxrip in automatic mode :

- Go to Settings > Preprocessing
- Select the MP4Box line and click the edit button, remove the mp4 extension from the " mp4 m4v mov" list
- Then go to the "FFmpeg: Demux", edit button, and this time you add mp4 there, list will look like this "avi flv mp4"

After this in automatic mode all .mp4 files should be directly demuxed by ffmpeg instead of MP4box that gives the error.

This is for the automatic mode, you can also select manual mode as source (and save it as startup template too), there you will be prompted when opening a file and you will just have a single click to do on FFmpeg in the list.

Any of those 2 will be way easier and quicker than demuxing and importing all tracks manually.

@Zetti,

thanks for the info, i think i will have to take a look at this version, i had started to modify the sources too to add a few custom stuff and things i was missing but i'm not a coder so it takes time, too much time, lot of trial and errors , this will probably be easier ( and take a bit before importing all my changes and settings made in the program itself ) Thx.

Last edited by Yanak; 30th June 2018 at 21:51.
Old 30th June 2018, 23:35   #2966  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

Adding new switches and such is easy enough for me. Maybe list what switches you want added and I'll look into it.

There is no B-Pyramid Off option in the GUI. I can enable it, a unchecked checkbox means it is auto by the driver. I have to use the --no-b-pyramid command.

And you should update QSVEnc to 3.06 because with 3.05 I get some errors.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 01:53   #2967  |  Link
dvd_maniac

@Yanak
I tried renaming and placing file in a root drive folder (T:\test\test.mp4) and got the same issue.
I tried a dozen of the files and got the same error as well...
All the files were ripped the same way from the same streaming service so I expected the issue to be with all files.
I did however manage to figure out how to use a different demuxer and it is chugging away at the 130 videos nicely.
The only real problem now is that it is tipping me over the edge to build a new PC equipped with a nice threadripper.
5820K 6-core @4.4Ghz is nice but this is still going to take days to encode X265 @720p with decent quality settings...
Old 1st July 2018, 09:42   #2968  |  Link
Yanak

All good then
did you tried to upgrade the MP4Box.exe, either by the one i linked or any other one available on the net, to see if a newer version cause less issues with your videos ?

As for the upgrade i feel you, I'm still on a 3770k... But pockets broken for a proper upgrade so I'll have to wait and hope for better days...

Last edited by Yanak; 1st July 2018 at 10:41.
Old 1st July 2018, 14:05   #2969  |  Link
dvd_maniac

I did not try to upgrade and I'm fine with the current fix.
I'll switch back to mp4box as soon as I am done with these videos.
About 90 videos still left...

Another question I had that someone can hopefully answer:
On previous versions of StaxRip, the encoded video created a temp folder that was not shared by other encoded video and the folder name was the complete name of the video file without the extension.
I do a lot of automated stuff through batch files using the filename as a variable and I used to be able to check the temp folders for subtitles, save them off and then delete them using this variable but now I can't. The temp folder is only a truncated version of the filename now.
Is there a way to go back to using the full filename as the temp folder name?
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:51   #2970  |  Link
Yanak

No worries, i think it is something that was fixed in MP4box 3 or so months ago with some files being .mp4's but having some .mov tags inside them causing MP4box to loose it's mind and crash, was just by curiosity

For the question :
With an empty project ( Staxrip started, no videos added ) :

Go to Options > Paths

in the last field "Temp Files Folder" click the little arrow on the right side, select "Source File Directory" , it will add this in the field:
%source_dir%%source_name%_temp

Then you need to save this as template, it's part of the project options, not the general options, if you don't save it as part of the template settings it won't stick with the next video/project you will add in Staxrip.

Go to: Project > Save as Template
either override existing one, in your case i think it is "Automatic Workflow" that will be already filled, or create a new one and set it as startup template ticking the little box in the popup dialog.

But one thing to keep in mind when using this :

if the result path is too long, i think it's a problem happening when there is more 256 or 260 characters in the ending path, you will see errors reported by tools not able to access the files, keep in mind that the path will be like "path-to-the-input-video/name-of-the-inputvideo_temp/" and can be very very long when files are located in a lot of sub-folders and to make it worse the videos often have very long names...

Myself i use the videos full name for the temp folders but inside a static "Temp" folder at the root of one of my drives to reduce the length of the paths and limit the risks of errors due to long paths, this way i can already shorten it a bit, my temp folder path is :
H:\TEMP\%source_name%_temp\

All my staxrip temp folders will be "NameOfTheInputVideo_temp" and all will always be located inside the "H:\TEMP" main folder instead of being inside the source video folder ( i prefer it this way , easier than looking in the videos folders )

And even like this with videos having a very long name i manage to have errors when adding a video to the project, It's rare but happens sometimes, for those i have to rename them for a shorter name to fix it, but i know it and when Staxrip throws me and error directly when input a video file having a long name i know i have to rename it

Last edited by Yanak; 3rd July 2018 at 09:59.
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:51   #2971  |  Link
dvd_maniac

I think the lengths will be fine in my case as I drop my automated encodes directly to D:\Videos\Encode
I never used to have an issue with crashes due to path lengths before so I should be fine.
Thank You very much...

After spending so much time automating my process and then having to do manual work again was getting tedious...
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:17   #2972  |  Link
Yanak

My encoded files go the root of another drive but this ain't the problem, in my case using H:\TEMP\ for all videos temp folders the limit of characters a video input name can have is around 114, ( i don't recall exactly but it's more or less 114 ), without the file extension just the tittle itself, 114_Characters_long_tittle.mp4 for example, because in the end the paths will be :

"H:\TEMP\114_Characters_long_tittle_temp\114_Characters_long_tittle_new_source.avs" for the avs script of Staxrip,

path length should be around 256 characters in this example, ( and funny enough the entire above line is 114 characters long, to put this in perspective )

if my video name was longer it will end up in errors and I'll have to rename it for something a bit shorter to make it work

Anyways, glad to have helped a bit and to see this sorted

Last edited by Yanak; 3rd July 2018 at 17:00.
Old 4th July 2018, 00:51   #2973  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
snip
I would try a different demuxing program for pre-process. It seems like Mp4Box isn't getting along with your video file.
Revan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 02:03   #2974  |  Link
Yups

There is an GUI issue in Staxrip with the CQP bitrate mode for Quicksync with main10 profile. Staxrip goes up to CQP 51. The problem is that for main10 Intel allows up to CQP 63. Staxrip GUI doesn't allow higher than 51.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 20:57   #2975  |  Link
paauw

demux / index with staxrip

Can anyone explain why i have to demux and index before i encode x264 to HEVC ?

Can i skip one step ?

Why is de mkvextract so much faster than the dgindexnv or dgindexIM ?

I have i5 6400, MSI GTX960 and Intel HD530...

the encoding is fast with hardware accelaration but not the index/remux with dgindexnv/im
paauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 15:59   #2976  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Those have already been added. The new version has introduced some issues as well. Mainly with QSVEnc, The documentation is either faulty or code is buggy. It's having problems processing certain colorspace.
New versions for QSVEnc v3.07 and NVEnc v4.08

QSVEnc:

- Fixed --audio-file not working properly.
· Added missing options for --colorprim and --transfer etc.
· Improved --input-analyze effect.
- Improvement that - vpp - deinterlace does not work on raw output.

NVEnc:

Fixed --audio-file not working properly.
· Improved stability when specifying SAR.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 07:28   #2977  |  Link
frenchfries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
New versions for QSVEnc v3.07 and NVEnc v4.08

QSVEnc:

- Fixed --audio-file not working properly.
· Added missing options for --colorprim and --transfer etc.
- Improvement that - vpp - deinterlace does not work on raw output.

NVEnc:

Fixed --audio-file not working properly.
· Improved stability when specifying SAR.
Hey

First, I just wanted to say that I've been using Staxrip since the beginning so I'm glad someone took it on after Stax76 left.

Awesomely, the new version of QSVEnc seems to add the missing pieces for full HDR support.

Command line is annoying though, so can you add the missing bits to the GUI? Specifically, Max CLL and FALL, min/max luma, updated color matrixes, display primaries? Might be something I've forgotten.

As I'm sure you're aware the updated switches are detailed in an empty run of QSVEnc.exe but see below for an excerpt

--colormatrix <string> undef, auto, bt709, smpte170m, bt470bg
smpte240m, YCgCo, fcc, GBR, bt2020nc
bt2020c
default: undef
--colorprim <string> undef, auto, bt709, smpte170m, bt470m
bt470bg, smpte240m, film, bt2020
--transfer <string> undef, auto, bt709, smpte170m, bt470m
bt470bg, smpte240m, linear, log100, log316
iec61966-2-4, bt1361e, iec61966-2-1
bt2020-10, bt2020-12, smpte2084, smpte428
arib-srd-b67
--aud insert aud nal unit to ouput stream.
--pic-struct insert pic-timing SEI with pic_struct.
--chromaloc <int> set chroma location flag [ 0 ... 5 ]
default: 0 = unspecified
--fullrange set stream as fullrange yuv
--max-cll <int>,<int> set MaxCLL and MaxFall in nits. e.g. "1000,300"
--master-display <string> set Mastering display data.
e.g. "G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)"

Thanks again for taking this one on.
frenchfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 23:09   #2978  |  Link
Zetti

FFmpeg v4.0.1 is released.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:15   #2979  |  Link
Zetti

MKVToolNix v25.0.0 is released.
Old 14th July 2018, 15:52   #2980  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
No, Since it tries to read the data from mediainfo, since the data isn't there so it fails everytime…...
The resulted dgi file contains all the HDR info required by the encoder. If StaxRip read out the infos from this file, that would be great! Right now, one should manually read out and insert them.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote