Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2021, 18:03   #21  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
... It seems a few decimal points can make quite a difference there too.
You should always use floating point values with Animate when animating a function which has float parameters.
Integer values (without decimal point) will be converted to float on entry to the animated function, but the interpolation itself will be done on an integer basis (hence potentially truncated).
Quote:
As a side note, there's no shortage of artefacts when I try the zoom example on the Avisynth wiki. If I use BiliearResize it's fine, but unfortunately my poor little monkey brain doesn't understand why.
This is because (as I think you discovered later), unlike all other resizers, BicubicResize has the additional parameters b and c before the cropping parameters. (Perhaps because they existed prior to the introduction of the cropping extension). So a 'gotcha' when animating resizers is that BicubicResize is a special case and has to be explicitly given these parameters too.

So the wiki example is wrong at present (although correct if a different resizer is used in place of BicibicResize).
Old 6th October 2021, 20:31   #22  |  Link
Richard1485

Ah, so it's just that pretty much any resizer other than BicubicResize would have done, and hello_hello just happened to choose BilinearResize. I thought that the question was why the latter, in particular, is fine in terms of artifacts. (Does the weighted average smooth them out somehow?) It's a soft resizer, so I figured that helps, but anyway I misunderstood. Thanks!
Old 10th October 2021, 17:10   #23  |  Link
hello_hello

Well... if nothing else, CropResize makes the Ken Burns effect easy. No need to do the math in advance because the script won't distort the picture.
And it's fun watching the cropping preview animated. At least the first few times......
(This is a test version, the current CropResize doesn't accept float for cropping)

Code:
CropResize(1280,720)

v = Last.Trim(18900,18900).Loop(190)
Animate(v, 10, 179, "iCropResize", 
\    960,720, 0.0, 40.0, -400.0, -40.0,
\  960,720, 745.0, 120.0, -250.0, -310.0)
Animate Test.mkv (2.9MB)

Animate Cropping Preview.mkv (996kB)

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th October 2021 at 14:13.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote