Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 23rd January 2022, 12:46   #1  |  Link
stranno

Is there any way to make OBS NVENC recordings more resource friendly with NLE?

I have a few standalone recorders, like the ElGato 4K60 S+, and their AVC/HEVC recordings are pretty lightweight on NLE, seeking is perfectly smooth no matter the framerate or bitrate.

But OBS recordings using NVENC, no matter if AVC or HEVC, are really sluggish on NLE (Avspmod or Vegas). Unlike FFMPEG non-NVENC recordings, NVENC barely has any configuration, so I guess there's no way to improve them.

I don't care about the quality, since I would record video in a very high bitrate using SSD, so it could be a profile as simple as possible. I have tried the lookahead thing, the pycho stunning visuals, b-frames, cbr/vbr, keyframes.. and there is barely any difference between them when seeking from an NLE, still sluggish.

I would use FFMPEG Prores, since I have used before on my ATOMOS Ninja Inferno or BlackMagic Video Assist 4K, but the FFMPEG implementation has some issues, I'd say, and it tends to drop frames, even on SSD, unlike simple SD cards on these devices.

Thank you guys.
stranno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:32   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Post a link to such a sample file that seeks slowly (preferably AVC as it is easier to analyze). It may be that the GOP length is too long.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote