Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 7th September 2016, 13:31   #1  |  Link
jriker1

White frame in transitions?

I have some video footage I am trying to burn in subtitles to and also clean up the footage (denoise). I usually use Premier Pro except when I want to burn in subtitles. I think use AVISynth to inject the subtitles automatically from an a_s_s (in case it filters on swears) file. Using NeatVideo for the cleanup. Normally works flawlessly however recently I noticed these weird pixelated white frames showing when playing back to resulting AVI file. It's not all the time but usually comes up during quick scene transition frames or fast action movement. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: Note using Windows 7 64-bit, 32-bit version of VirtualDub, and Lagarith codec to encode with. Didn't even know there was a 64-bit version of VDub but imagine that's not the issue.

Last edited by jriker1; 7th September 2016 at 13:40.
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 15:52   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

No real idea, but have fairly recently seen some bad reports on Lagarith getting it wrong sometimes (Arithmetic coding not being 100% reliable).
Maybe try another lossless codec, UT_Video/MagicYUV are suggested.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 15:30   #3  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
No real idea, but have fairly recently seen some bad reports on Lagarith getting it wrong sometimes (Arithmetic coding not being 100% reliable).
Maybe try another lossless codec, UT_Video/MagicYUV are suggested.
So the spot this is happening for this particular example has the screen flash quickly to two different scenes for a second almost like a mistake in the footage but isn't. Playing the source it's fine otherwise. I tried MagicYUV and also removing NeatVideo. In all scenarios the below:

Still happened. Any chance it's VirtualDub? Hate to think so as using AVISynth a VDub is the fastest way for me to burn in subtitles. With tools like Premiere I have to add layers one at a time for each forced subtitle.

Note in AVISynth doing the following to load the M2TS file:

ffmpegsource2("STUFF_PT2.M2TS", vtrack = -1)
TextSub("Stuff.ass")

Note this is HD content.

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: If I run the file thru Premiere Pro frame by frame it's fine. If I run it frame by frame thru VDub I get the above. Also shows decoding frame the first time it hits that segment in VDub and scrolls thru some frame numbers on the bottom. VDub, AVISynth, ffmpegsource2? Why this started happening suddenly is beyond me but it is.

EDIT2: I just ran that segment thru a conversion with MagicYUV on Premiere and it plays back fine. Hoping I'm not going to have to run it thru Premiere, clean it with NeatVideo, then run it again thru VDub to burn in the subtitles and hope it comes out. I know when I put the Premiere AVI into VDub straight without AVISynth it's fine. Also if I use AVISynth with the resulting AVI using AVISource in VDub it's then fine.

Last edited by jriker1; 8th September 2016 at 15:59.
Old 8th September 2016, 15:59   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Does it still happen if remove TexSub() ?
If not OK, then maybe ffmpegsource problematic. (maybe try LSmash or directshowsource [dont know of alternative source for M2TS]).
Lastly, try VDub alternative, eg AvsPMod or the new AVSEdit or some other.

(assuming that "ffmpegsource2("STUFF_PT2.M2TS", vtrack = -1) TextSub("Stuff.ass")" is your entire script).

EDIT: I recently posted of problem in current versions of VSFilter.dll [textsub dll], here:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...07#post1779907
(could produce strange exception).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th September 2016 at 16:02.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:19   #5  |  Link
jriker1

Yep, still happens with TextSub commented out and yes that is my entire script.

In theory if I did the neatvideo process thru Premiere to clean the video, then ran that video thru VDub using my AVS script, couldn't I run that thru to a secondary AVI with direct stream copy and it would be fast? Hate to add another half day of encoding to do a second pass for the subs.

Will also look at your other tool suggestions and see. Hopefully they run without installs. I don't want to start installing and uninstalling tools on this system. It's been VERY clean for years.

Thanks.

JR
Old 8th September 2016, 18:18   #6  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
Any chance it's VirtualDub? Hate to think so...
Try shekh's VirtualDub mod, it's been modernized in several areas.
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 19:36   #7  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
Nope. Same deal. Funny other than I bought both NeatVideo for VDub and Premiere so like to use it, if I could find a way to create subtitles faster in Premiere than manually creating title after title after title, wouldn't need VDub for the most part. Couple tools out there, but one is $99 which isn't the issue, but is only for mac. The other is several thousand dollars. Like WHAT?!?!?!

JR
Old 8th September 2016, 19:42   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Have you exhonourated ffmpegsource ?

I understand that recent version ffmpegsource are a lot less problematic that older ones.

Old 8th September 2016, 20:10   #9  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Have you exhonourated ffmpegsource ?

I understand that recent version ffmpegsource are a lot less problematic that older ones.
We talking ffmpegsource or ffmegsource2. latest version of 2 is almost a year ago however think I'm one rev behind because it requires AVISynth 2.6 and some of the plugins I use are not compatible.

Since there is no version info in the binaries can say my:

FFMS2.avsi file is 6/24/2014
FFMS2.dll file is 6/20/2014
FFMS2.lib file is 6/20/2014

Thanks.

JR
Old 8th September 2016, 20:13   #10  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
To me the picture looks like some uninitialized memory, which unfortunately can mean anything.
Old 8th September 2016, 20:48   #11  |  Link
jriker1

No this seems easy after my last test. I tried DirectShowSource and it didn't do this. Though because of a lot of the conversions I do go beyond adding subtitles, I needed the frame accuracy that FFMpegSource gave me so why I'm using it. That said, apparently ffmpegsource, the one I'm using if nothing else, is no longer supporting some of my current media for whatever reason.
Old 8th September 2016, 22:15   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Older versions of ffmpegsource were not good, seems you are using such, shit happens.

Edit: try lsmash or later ffmpegsource. read that you don't like changing things, but in this case would seem prudent.

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th September 2016 at 22:19.
Old 9th September 2016, 00:59   #13  |  Link
jriker1

What is the last version of ffmpegsource2 that you could use with 2.5 of AVISynth? Can try that first. If I go to 2.6 a lot of my plugins for cleaning up VHS content will break but may just opt for alternatives or go for it.

Thanks.

JR
Old 9th September 2016, 02:20   #14  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Groucho2004's Avisynth version switcher sounds like something you could use; haven't tried it myself though, so can't say for sure.
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:50   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
If I go to 2.6 a lot of my plugins for cleaning up VHS content will break but may just opt for alternatives or go for it.
What are the scripts that will break, are they well known scripts?

v2.6 is quite a bit better than previous versions, quite a lot of fixes.

Old 14th September 2016, 13:55   #16  |  Link
jriker1

Yeah, don't have them in front of me but was related to cleanup of VHS tapes I dubbed to digital format. They are sitting there waiting for me to process them and just remember a lot of the scripts and plugins I used were not compatible with 2.6. Plus remember playing with the multi-threading stuff and it crashing all the time so overall wasn't a positive experience. I'll have to fire up the system I used for transferring the videos and see if I can see what I was using.

JR

Tags
virtualdub