Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th September 2010, 14:47   #1  |  Link
twipley

Snow-like, white-lines noise (results in huge Xvid file)

Hello, hello.

I have this short SLP clip I've just captured. Other (SP) clip captured/played well on the VHS deck, however, probably partially because the tape is over 20 years old, SLP-section recordings playback with lots of horizontal white lines inter-spaced throughout the whole screen. In other words: no image three-fourths of the time, but audio is still there and well enjoyable.

Sweet family memories. However, when encoding that 10-minutes capture to (Q3) Xvid, the file size gets quite huge, more so compared to that of my other (SP) captures: we here are talking of multiple GB.

The question is, would there be an easy way to diminish the file size of the Xvid encoding? I still have the source file (7.8 GB; Huffyuv).

I have tried both of those noise-reduction plugins (for use with virtualdub), to no significant effect on file-size reduction:
http://www.risingresearch.com/en/denoise/
http://compression.ru/video/denoising/index_en.html

There must be some Xvid setting I'm not aware of, which would be useful to me. I am assuming the static snow to be the source of the weight of the video stream, though it is also to be noted that its frame rate is unconventional, say 30.xx, which was the result of having selected audio as the master stream in my capturing program.

The VHS deck seems not to have been the problem here, as the only recordings which display snow, white-lines static are the SLP ones. It thus seems to indicate that the video heads are in no special need to be cleared, here. SP playback is as clean as it should be. SLP playback on those old tapes have snow-snow issues.

EDIT: a Q8 encoding has been tried, which diminished the 10-minutes-long video stream size to an acceptable 600 MB or so, but the problem here is that anything lower than Q3 (e.g., Q4) in terms of encoding quality puts the parts of the video where static is less present at a significant decrease in quality. I would want something like Q99 to automatically be applied to the snowy-screen areas, while Q3 to be at any pat where the original-recording picture is actually visible.

Last edited by twipley; 17th September 2010 at 14:52.
twipley is offline   Reply With Quote