Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 9th December 2005, 18:37   #61  |  Link
bluefear

I tried that AVI test disc on my Yakumo player which is an MT1389 and it played all the qpel and GMC tests fine - only the hi-definition and .mp4 stuff didn't play.
bluefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 07:12   #62  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Matroska Support on any hardware players yet?

Anyone know if there are any available hardware players that support matroska yet?
Old 4th March 2006, 11:44   #63  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow
Anyone know if there are any available hardware players that support matroska yet?
For dedicated stand-alone players, sadly not yet!
Old 23rd March 2006, 05:47   #64  |  Link
Mtz

Another thing to keep in mind when buying a DivX player is if it support:
- text subtitles. Some of them cannot play MicroDVD Subtitles.
- check your language code page in text subtitles. In east european countries, many of the players on the market are with western code page support.
- in the last time in Mediatek players I saw DTS analog output is removed. From my experience players with DSP: 08.xx.xx.xx. Them are using a new smaller MTT1389... E chipset.
I think this is the most bad thing made by Mediatek. I have a 1389GE player at home which support DTS, and I hope soon with a modified firmware, DVD-Audio.

Discussing about ESS vs. MTK, one great thing for ESS was the capability to load any subtitles. Now in some new unofficial firmwares for MTK you can play any subtitle regardless filename.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 21:16   #65  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Sticky?

Hello mods, Bond?

Just quicly re-read the thread, it seems to me the guide is up-to-date and accurate.

Beside that it is user friendly and, as reported, may save a lot of time or problems to potential buyers. Exemple of discussion about SAP: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...299#post809299

If so can it be made sticky?
Y.T. any objections?
In advance, thanks.

Did

Last edited by BigDid; 6th April 2006 at 21:19.
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 22:10   #66  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDid
Beside that it is user friendly and, as reported, may save a lot of time or problems to potential buyers. Exemple of discussion about SAP: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...299#post809299

If so can it be made sticky?
I guess it would not hurt

Until that time arrives, there is a link to it in my sticky - I've just increased the text size too!

Cheers
Old 5th April 2006, 22:38   #67  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
... there is a link to it in my sticky - I've just increased the text size too!..
Great job, thanks for your support.

Did
Old 10th April 2006, 04:59   #68  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

This thread has been made sticky by Doom9.

On behalf of actual, potential and future standalone players(SAP) owners, I send him my full thanks and I extend them to the mods that have supported this demand.

Did
Old 10th April 2006, 09:39   #69  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hey that's great... thanks Doom9
Old 12th April 2006, 20:06   #70  |  Link
Y.T.

Yeah thanks a lot Doom9!
Y.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 22:01   #71  |  Link
siddharthagandhi
Go Nero Digital

why in the first page when you talk about Nero Digital you limit the conversation to the ASP codec?
What about the AVC codec (which in my opinion is the better benefit of Nero Digital)?
siddharthagandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 22:13   #72  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthagandhi
why in the first page when you talk about Nero Digital you limit the conversation to the ASP codec?
What about the AVC codec (which in my opinion is the better benefit of Nero Digital)?
Probably because MPEG-4 AVC can't be played in stand-alones yet!

Also, lets not forget this thread was started in Aug 2005
Old 12th April 2006, 23:03   #73  |  Link
siddharthagandhi
Go Nero Digital

whoa it cant??? i thought all along those Nero Digital players that i saw were for the AVC and ASP but its only for ASP

thanks for the enlightenment :P
siddharthagandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 07:37   #74  |  Link
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.T.
For the US market, the Oppo Digital looks like an excellent choice. From all the information I have gathered so far, all three of the above can be highly recommended.
So it's now almost a year later, I'm looking to buy, so I was just wondering if this unit is still recommended, or has something better come along (which is available in the U.S.)?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 00:07   #75  |  Link
rectangular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
So it's now almost a year later, I'm looking to buy, so I was just wondering if this unit is still recommended, or has something better come along (which is available in the U.S.)?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=18

Buffalo’s High-Definition Wireless Media Player is one of the best looking new solutions for those of us laking the funds for a full blown Media Center PC. I do not own one, but I am seriously considering making a purchase. Who knows if there will be something coming out with more options than this in the near future, but that would be nice!
rectangular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 20:29   #76  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

doesn't even say what chipset there is in that player...
masken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 20:33   #77  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by masken View Post
doesn't even say what chipset there is in that player...
It's an Sigma EM8620L chip-set... And as far as I'm aware, it's the weakest player in its class!

Cheers
Old 11th October 2006, 23:02   #78  |  Link
CColtManM

I'm in the same boat, and would like to know what the best player is currently on the market. Something new has to have been developed and knocked that OPPO off the top spot.
CColtManM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 11:47   #79  |  Link
thorz

Thanks for this very useful thread. I have had a KISS DP-500 for 3 years and now it is busted. I am on the search for its replacement.

I have found the Sigmatek XM-400 Pro and a Pioneer DV-393-S (easiest to get) very cheap, almost for the same price. What I need is XVID with packed bitstream and idx/sub subs support as this is the common rule on the internet scene releases. Component out is a good thing for me too, but RGB is just fine. Both of these players support these features after what I have read but what I would really like is to go wireless and access shared files from my PC.

I was exited about the last KISS (DP600) but have read bad reports about it I don't need PVR as I am only looking for a playing solution.

Moded Xbox sounds cool but it is not the nicest thing to have on your living room and I have heard reports about the noise. I could consider it if there was possible to buy one already moded and ready to roll here in Europe, but all the info that I have found is outdated (most from 2004). There is also the question on how to make it go wireless.

I have heard that the Sony PS3 is supposed to be a Media Center too but have not read anything concrete.

Are these 2 players (the Sigmatek and the Pioneer) still top notch? I have found a Sigmatek XS-700 on the net too but have not found info about it.

Do you think it is better for me to get one of these stand alones and get a separate solution to stream content via wireless to my TV from my PC? I need support for AC3 sound, idx/sub subs and XVID packet bitstream too on this separate product if I am going to go this route.

I really appreciate your help here. Thank you very much.

Last edited by thorz; 5th November 2006 at 11:54.
thorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 17:04   #80  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorz View Post
I was exited about the last KISS (DP600) but have read bad reports about it I don't need PVR as I am only looking for a playing solution.
Personally speaking I've been very happy with my high-definition network capable Zensonic Z500...

In-fact Zensonic are due to release a couple of new devices (the CS505 and the CS510) under the brand name Ziova....

Here's what the Ziova Clearstream CS505 (with DVD/CD drive) looks like: -

And here's what the Ziova Clearstream CS510 (without DVD/CD drive) looks like: -

Here's a link to Ziova's web site. And here's a link to where you can pre-order a player... should you feel the urge!

Cheers