Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 26th August 2015, 23:53   #1  |  Link
ZenMystic

Help Playing mp4s on a panasonic blu ray player DMP-BDT105

I am trying to get a panasonic blu ray player DMP-BDT105 to play AVC MP4 video files. But I must be doing something wrong as every time I have tried to get it to play a burned DVD it says incompatible disc. The player was bought in 2012.

The manual says this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/247...page=38#manual

AVCHD
File format
AVCHD format (V1.0) used on High
Definition Video Camera
(Panasonic and some others)
Codec
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

Discs must conform to UDF 2.5

With certain recording states and folder structures, the play order may
differ or playback may not be possible.

CD-R, CD-RW : ISO9660 level 1 or 2 (except for extended formats),
Joliet
This unit is compatible with multi-session.
This unit is not compatible with packet writing.

DVD-R, DVD-R DL (except for AVCHD) : ISO9660 level 1 or 2 (except
for extended formats), Joliet, UDF bridge (UDF 1.02/ISO9660)
This unit is not compatible with multi-session.
This unit is not compatible with packet writing.

The player isn't mine but belongs to a relative. It is the only thing he has in his house the will play mp4, as he doesn't own a computer or anything like that.

The videos is old wedding stuff burned to DVD in DVD format. Our thinking was that we could squash the 2 separate wedding DVDs on to 1 DVD if we converted to mp4.

Which I did with MeGUI. It plays fine on all I have. My computer, Xbox, and tablet. As is the same with other relatives who wanted a copy. He is the exception. But this is the first time I've ever needed to make an mp4 work on an actual blu ray/DVD player and am stuck on what to do. I have tried several times now and no go.

The video is 720x480@25fps. I used MeGUI to make the mp4 using the AVCHD profile. I'm using ImgBurn to burn the DVDs.

The specs said for AVCHD 1.0 it had to be 1280x720 or a few other ones so I packed that one. The sound is AC3 192 bitrate.

I was hoping I could have something like this on the disc:

Video 1.mp4
Video 2.mp4

What am I doing wrong?
ZenMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 12:41   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

MP4 is not MPEG-4.

MP4 is a container like AVI or MKV or VOB.

You try to create an AVCHD disc that is not an AVCHD one. That means you MUST author one, eg with MultiAVCHD, not simply COPY/PASTE MP4-files into an UDF2.5 structure.

You may try to put those MP4 files on an USB stick and see whether the player can do them.
Old 29th August 2015, 15:20   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

The info in your link doesn't mention MP4 support.

I've never burned a AVCHD disc myself, but I'd imagine you could open your MP4s with TSMuxer and remux them after selecting "AVCHD folder" as the output type. I assume from there you can burn the AVCHD folder to DVD, probably just as you'd burn data files, except specifying the UDF 2.5 file system in your burning program. I'm not sure if there's any other special requirement for creating an AVCHD disc (I've never burned one myself).

I "think" (I've never burned one) you can only burn one AVCHD folder to a disc. That could be complete bullocks (I've never burned one), but if it's not you might need to join the MP4s first so you've got a single MP4 you can open with TSMuxer and remux it as an AVCHD folder. Or try multiAVCHD instead. TSMuxer is quick and easy, but multiAVCHD is probably more versatile. I've not used it myself, but if the video's already AVCHD complaint (which you said it is), hopefully multiAVCHD won't need to re-encode it..... assuming multiAVCHD can re-encode. I don't know. I've never used it.

Last edited by hello_hello; 29th August 2015 at 15:22.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 18:24   #4  |  Link
ZenMystic

The Venting Of Player Woes

Ghitulescu: Thanks for pointing that out I should have known... brain fart...

so I tried uncrop with multavchd. I was able to view thumbnails but not play any video. All this trouble for one relative who has nothing to play mp4's on... lol I'm getting tired going back and forth to the house I can tell you.

The other thing I tried was avi's.... I downloaded some for testing purposes some of them worked and that was promising but some did not. So again the same problem I don't know enough about what settings it needs to work.. The Panasonic player seems to be very strict.

The only other thing he has is a wii. But again I've never owned or even touched one myself. So am thinking avi for the player or mp4 for the wii.

I'm trying to see if he will buy a WDTV box as I don't feel they are not very expensive. And I know the do play a lot of stuff because I have one and can encode for it.

Anyone here ever encoded for a wii? Or is it going to be the same issue all over again in dealing with a strict system?

I use MeGUI fir all of my encoding.

Well thanks for listening to my player's tale of woe.

I'm going to see what I can find out on my own and post back.
ZenMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 15:41   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I don't know wherefrom you got the files, yet, with some luck you need only to run them through multiavchd (no need for uncrop and stuff UNLESS absolutely necessary).

Nevertheless, there is a strange combination of 480 with 25.

A DVD-RW is not that expensive. Not even a BD-RE.

PS: next time advise your relative to pay attention to what he buys.
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:51   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
The other thing I tried was avi's.... I downloaded some for testing purposes some of them worked and that was promising but some did not. So again the same problem I don't know enough about what settings it needs to work. The Panasonic player seems to be very strict.
Creating compatible AVIs shouldn't be hard. The player is Divx certified up to 1080p.
To encode them with MeGUI open the Xvid encoder configuration, load the defaults, select "automated 2 pass" as the encoding method, and in the Profile dropdown box select either "Home Theatre" (designed for standard definition and DVD player compatibility), "Hi-Def 720p" or "Hi-Def 1080p". You should be able to just select the "Hi-Def 1080p" profile and encode at any resolution (up to 1080p).
From there you'll probably have to take a guess at the bitrate (the default is 700 but that's not extravagant even for standard definition), and that's it. AC3 audio should be fine.

You can, if you like, choose the CQ, single pass encoding method. A quantizer of 2 is maximum quality (higher values equal lower quality) however there's no bitrate/buffer limiting when encoding in single pass mode (hence Profile selection being disabled), which is technically required for 100% compatibility. Most likely that won't matter and single pass encoding will be fine, especially if you're not encoding at 1080p.

As long as you follow the above there's not too much that can go wrong. Don't enable QPel or GMC (when a profile is selected they're greyed out anyway). There's a slim change the player won't be happy with the codec identifier used or the type of bitstream, but both can be changed after you've encoded with MPEG4Modifier if need be. It doesn't take long and you won't need to re-encode.

You could probably use MPEG4Modifier to check the AVIs you currently have. If you report the differences, someone will be able to tell you the likely culprit for the ones that won't play. The "View Info" button will give you all the required info.

Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd September 2015 at 01:58.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 12:09   #7  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
The Panasonic player seems to be very strict.
My Panny was too with AVI files. But with mkv it was less unforgiving.
You can mux the 2 dvd´s in a mkv file and try if it will play. Maybe you want to put it on a sd card or a rewritable disc first for trying purposes.
Not the way to go maybe, but there definitely is something jiffy with 720x480 at 25fps.

cheers
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote