Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 10th July 2024, 10:05   #101  |  Link
coopervid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
If coopervid says the reason is not for public use, then it is that way. He's been a mod way longer than me.
But I'd really like to stay in touch with the guys because IMO it was a fine community.
Good to see you here! I'm not sharing details to the public and it wouldn't help in any way. I just wanted to state that Redfox didn't shut down intentionally but they needed to. Nobody wants to spend years of his life behind bars.
coopervid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2024, 11:07   #102  |  Link
LazLong
We look for things....

@coopervid and @cartman0208

I've seen speculation on VideoHelp and Reddit that the RedFox team sold their AnyStream IP to the StreamFab folks. Any inside info with regards to that?
LazLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2024, 12:22   #103  |  Link
SamuriHL

That rumor is nonsense. Started by people on Reddit who have no clue what they're talking about.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th July 2024, 13:24   #104  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazLong View Post
I've seen speculation on VideoHelp and Reddit that the RedFox team sold their AnyStream IP to the StreamFab folks. Any inside info with regards to that?
Nope, no info ... I don't even know what would be achieved by that.

And the hint of coopervid should clarify that nobody from Redfox "took the money and ran" as many on reddit assumed.
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2024, 15:16   #105  |  Link
Treaties Of Warp

Don't people have a right to keep a downloaded backup of titles that they purchased? A digital purchase that stays on remote servers is no guarantee that people will always be able to access their content. For example, the Funimation incident that just recently happened.

I also recently was watching a series that had a subtitle issue (which is VERY common on Amazon content). Every other line of dialog was missing, due to overlapping timestamps, on EVERY episode. Downloading the content allows the user to use a tool like Subtitle Edit to automatically fix the issue locally.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to "blackmail" people into compliance in most countries by threatening to sue unless demands are met. They have to either file a lawsuit, or not. (If that's what happened.)

I thought some of the AnyDVD developers were actually located in China (like James).

When a public resource is taken away due to the actions of some institution or entity, it does serve the public to have the information as to who the entity is, and what they did to cause the loss of the resource. Their actions may not have been legal, and such actions should be reported (even if the actions were legal). This information is important for other developers to know about, so they can take measures to protect themselves and their products.

Again, just my thoughts and opinions.
Treaties Of Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2024, 16:07   #106  |  Link
cartman0208

Well, actually ... you don't buy the content or title ... you buy a license to access that content.
The same (or similar) way a streaming provider pays a license fee to the content owner to distribute that content to their customers.
That license can be revoked so you lose access to that content.
Old 10th July 2024, 18:48   #107  |  Link
SamuriHL

^^^

First off, this. You buy a digital "license" and that's only valid as long as the entity you bought it from maintains a license to the content themselves. So no, you don't have any rights. I'm not saying I AGREE with this, just that this is how the law is interpreted. My personal feelings mirror yours for the most part. If you buy a license for something, you should be able to access it either remotely where you bought it or locally. For things you don't own like subscription services, I personally feel that's more "DVR" like. E.G. if I ever used such a product, I would only download things I maintain a subscription to. More convenience than anything else. What other people do is their business. That's just my personal take on those types of products.

Second, and this is the important part, at least in the US with how the DMCA is written, you can possess technology to defeat DRM but you are not allowed to create such technology. Now that law should only apply to the US but the US likes to use its immense economic power to shove those laws down the throats of other countries. I'll save the political discussion for elsewhere on that. So while you aren't likely to get sued for using AnyDVD to back up your legally purchased discs, the maker of said product is most definitely a target. See SlySoft. See the pending case against DVDFab. Etc. Is it right? No, of course not. But the way the laws are written, this cry you have of victimhood of "being threatened" or whatever is simply not true. If an organization targeted them, it's for breaking the percieved laws. Again, I don't think it's ok, either but that's simply the fact. They are enforcing BS laws.
Old 10th July 2024, 23:14   #108  |  Link
coopervid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
^^^

First off, this. You buy a digital "license" and that's only valid as long as the entity you bought it from maintains a license to the content themselves. So no, you don't have any rights. I'm not saying I AGREE with this, just that this is how the law is interpreted. My personal feelings mirror yours for the most part. If you buy a license for something, you should be able to access it either remotely where you bought it or locally. For things you don't own like subscription services, I personally feel that's more "DVR" like. E.G. if I ever used such a product, I would only download things I maintain a subscription to. More convenience than anything else. What other people do is their business. That's just my personal take on those types of products.

Second, and this is the important part, at least in the US with how the DMCA is written, you can possess technology to defeat DRM but you are not allowed to create such technology. Now that law should only apply to the US but the US likes to use its immense economic power to shove those laws down the throats of other countries. I'll save the political discussion for elsewhere on that. So while you aren't likely to get sued for using AnyDVD to back up your legally purchased discs, the maker of said product is most definitely a target. See SlySoft. See the pending case against DVDFab. Etc. Is it right? No, of course not. But the way the laws are written, this cry you have of victimhood of "being threatened" or whatever is simply not true. If an organization targeted them, it's for breaking the percieved laws. Again, I don't think it's ok, either but that's simply the fact. They are enforcing BS laws.
Very good statement. And others that only want copies of their legal or not so legal copies should think twice and read it over and over. But most don't care or comprehend. Just let me make that copy....
Old 11th July 2024, 09:51   #109  |  Link
Wenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
So, 4 pages of text and literally zero information about where Redfox went?
Indeed. They've been looking for AnyDVD alternatives for a long time.
Old 11th July 2024, 13:20   #110  |  Link
Treaties Of Warp

Quote:
And the hint of coopervid should clarify that nobody from Redfox "took the money and ran" as many on reddit assumed.
I would say that there still isn't really any "proof" of anything. The whole situation is very bizarre. If somebody gets taken down by some institution, that institution is typically named. I've been on the Internet since 1995 (yes unfortunately I am old which I don't like!) and in that time I've seen several sites and products "end" due to legal pressure and whoever is applying pressure is always named at some point. Why not name it? If I was "taking the money and running," if I felt compelled enough to say anything to anyone asking what was happening, I might say something like "we have to shut down so we don't get sued!", but if I named who was threatening me, then they would know I was lying.

So, respectfully, we have no information "from the horses mouth", we have hearsay from a former moderator who was "told something" but strangely we don't know what was told, who told it, or anything about who was involved.

What we do know is 1) Lifetime licenses for the main product people were buying (AnyStream) were removed in January 2024 suggesting a revenue problem, and 2) within about 1-2 days of Redfox's disappearance, StreamFab is fixed. That is a notable coincidence, to say the least. Also, even though it isn't known fact, I think it's reasonable to believe that for the 4-5 months that AnyStream worked and StreamFab didn't, that sales for AnyStream probably increased, thus giving a boost of revenue.

In conclusion the fact remains we have no verifiable information as to what happened. It's still possible that someone threatened them, and it's still possible of an "exit scam" type of situation. We just don't know, and probably never will if the RedFox team remains anonymous.

These are just my thoughts, if I offended anyone with my remarks, please know that I didn't intend any.
Treaties Of Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2024, 13:42   #111  |  Link
SamuriHL

And you need to come to terms with what I've already said multiple times in this thread. You will never have the information you seem to think you're entitled to. You're not going to get "proof". You're not going to be told what the organization was. You can choose to believe whatever you want. Knowing won't change the simple fact that they aren't coming back.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11th July 2024, 14:45   #112  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Me thinks it's time to close this topic...
Old 11th July 2024, 16:43   #113  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
And you need to come to terms with what I've already said multiple times in this thread. You will never have the information you seem to think you're entitled to. You're not going to get "proof". You're not going to be told what the organization was.
Fine, then it's fair to assume your claims are all hearsay and it was an exit scam.

Quote:
You can choose to believe whatever you want.
Read the post above yours as to why I choose to believe it was an exit scam.

Quote:
Knowing won't change the simple fact that they aren't coming back.
And even if RedFox came back under another name, we'd likely still have to buy lifetime licenses again (much like the SlySoft licenses weren't accepted by RedFox). But what I won't do is excuse what is a total disappearance from the web intentionally performed by the website owners themselves by assigning blame to some mythical unnamed organization that can magically get them now in 2024 but couldn't in 2016 or the years in between.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 11th July 2024 at 16:55.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2024, 17:25   #114  |  Link
cartman0208

The comments of coopervid #85 and #101 do not leave much room for speculation, at least for me.
Here's an example what I figured from it:
- you do something that is against the law
- you get cought (whatever that means)
- you are given the choice to 1) go to jail or 2) remove everything "unlawful" from the web and never lose a word about it
What would you do?

Of course that is also an assumption... but what would you accept as proof and not say it's scam?
Old 11th July 2024, 19:00   #115  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Quote:
The comments of coopervid #85 and #101 do not leave much room for speculation, at least for me.
Here's an example what I figured from it:
- you do something that is against the law
- you get cought (whatever that means)
- you are given the choice to 1) go to jail or 2) remove everything "unlawful" from the web and never lose a word about it
What would you do?

Of course that is also an assumption... but what would you accept as proof and not say it's scam?
The "proof" would be something from the former company itself or official documentation. But then again, this may not be possible with NDAs and all. This is interesting, because one would think who/whomever "caught" them would want to let everyone know they are watching. Then again, operating in the shadows may be the best for who/whomever this entity is, especially if they have access to Redfox customer information. Sometimes the cat and mouse game goes both ways.

Regardless, there is no "proof", just posts on this forum.
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2024, 20:18   #116  |  Link
coopervid

Are you guys nuts or just a bunch who just follow everey conspiracy theory? "Proof", "official documentation", "access to Redfox customer information", "mythical unnamed organization". Hey - they just took everything - everything - down before being caught. Keep on smoking weed and come up with more BS.
Old 11th July 2024, 20:23   #117  |  Link
DrinkLyeAndDie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treaties Of Warp View Post
What we do know is 1) Lifetime licenses for the main product people were buying (AnyStream) were removed in January 2024 suggesting a revenue problem, and 2) within about 1-2 days of Redfox's disappearance, StreamFab is fixed. That is a notable coincidence, to say the least.
Some people conflate things. People in general. Events simply MUST be related because... they simply MUST. No, they simply mustn't. What we do know is that some people like to create/dream up/invent explanations so that they feel that they have an answer to something rather than not actually knowing. An answer makes some people feel better even if it accomplishes nothing.

With the above said, there was a discussion somewhere on Reddit either in the Anystream or StreamFab areas about Redfox shutting down and how quickly StreamFab worked again on Netflix, etc. Mentioned was the absurdity of the claim that Redfox sold their "decryption keys" to DVDFab. An individual went on further to explain how the approaches both companies took to do what they did were not the same. It wasn't just like Redfox could just give DVDFab a key and, voila, StreamFab works now. It would have involved completely rewriting things and there is zero indication that any such event occurred. I don't have a link to share because I read it, found it interesting, and moved on. I honestly don't care enough to spend time looking.

To end this post...

Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 12th July 2024 at 23:49.
DrinkLyeAndDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2024, 22:41   #118  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Fine, then it's fair to assume your claims are all hearsay and it was an exit scam.
Kuel. You feel better? You can sleep now? It has TOTALLY and 100% changed your life believing something that is total BS, right?

Quote:
Read the post above yours as to why I choose to believe it was an exit scam.
Believe whatever you want. Simply believing something doesn't make it true no matter how hard you try. It's still BS.

Quote:
And even if RedFox came back under another name
They won't.
Old 12th July 2024, 01:38   #119  |  Link
Perenista

Not saying this is related to anything, but one thing I noticed a while (not long time ago) before this event was that RedFox discontinued lifetime licenses for ALL products, like AnyDVD. Users that got them in the past were able to keep.

Last edited by Perenista; 12th July 2024 at 01:40.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2024, 04:25   #120  |  Link
WSC4

https://forum.doom9.net/showthread.php?t=173234

24th of February 2016. This is Déjà vu and it brought back memories when I was using SlySoft. Both that thread and this are almost carbon copies. But the SlySoft thread has a happy ending. On page 3 post #47, RedFox is born when old staff members were willing to continue the development. That was a long time ago now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post

To end this post, I do actually know what happened.
I see you are another moderator at Redfox. Is that 5 in this thread? I've lost count. You also don't have to disclose what actually happened, and I respect your decision on that. But I think it will all come out in the wash eventually. I now don't care if it was the AACS LA, DMCA, BREIN or some other anti-circumvention body that seized the RedFox domain name. What I would like to know, if there is any hint of old staff members willing to continue the development in the future?

Last edited by WSC4; 13th July 2024 at 00:39.
WSC4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
redfox