Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 26th October 2010, 12:58   #1  |  Link
cacho

How to rip HDTV to Xvid?

Hi

I am experienced capturing and ripping from DVB_T to Xvid.

I am using DVBViewer to capture a TS, then ProjectX to demux, then DGIndex->GordianKnot->VirtualDubMod.

We have some new HD channels in my country (Spain) so I wonder how can I do the same for HD captures.

Seems to me that the first issue is how to demux .ts file as long as ProjectX seems not be able to work with HD.

I have been googling for a while without success....

Thanks in advance
J
cacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 13:21   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

While I can understand that compressing DVB-T into xvid would save some space at negligible quality losses, compressing H.264 into xvid is almost nonsense: no space gain, lots of work and spent time, quality losses.

Better create an AVCHD disk, it can be played on PC, PS3 and selected BD players. And it's only COPY/PASTE (no reencoding, unless the HDTV in Spain is completely different).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 22:14   #3  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Where I am HD DBV-T uses mpeg-2, so I can't say for certain what's the best method for converting h.264, although I do understand creating a AVCHD disc could very well be pointless if you're wanting a standard definition version that'll play on something like a standalone DivX DVD player.
I regularly compress h264 into standard definition AVIs as I'm a really nice guy and I'm the only one in this house using a device capable of HD playback Everyone else still uses AVIs. I'm not converting h264 TS files though.

HDConvertToX should convert TS to XviD, although I've never used it for that. I do like the program. I think StaxRip will too.
AutoGK should convert TS files directly but I don't know if that includes h264 content. For the standard definition stuff though it might be easier than your current method.

Programs such as Format Factory or Super Video Converter will take almost any input format and re-mux the contents into another container, so for example you could probably re-mux TS into AVI or MKV, which then opens up your choice of conversion program.

As long as you have an appropriate DirectShow codec for decoding, AutoGK will convert AVIs containing h264 to XviD and AutoGK is still my first choice for doing so. It is limited as to the type of audio it will convert though, and I guess you'd be using GordianKnot anyway.

At least there's some ideas for you until someone with more h264 TS experience comes along.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 19:54   #4  |  Link
cacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
While I can understand that compressing DVB-T into xvid would save some space at negligible quality losses, compressing H.264 into xvid is almost nonsense: no space gain, lots of work and spent time, quality losses.

Better create an AVCHD disk, it can be played on PC, PS3 and selected BD players. And it's only COPY/PASTE (no reencoding, unless the HDTV in Spain is completely different).
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am actually downloading many TV shows that I could not get in my country (Fringe, Modern family, etc) ripped from HD to XviD and they look great.

I have been wondering how to do that.

However, some people told me about another way: create a mkv file from my capture.

Any "how to"?

Thanks
C
cacho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capture, dvb-t, htdv, rip