Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 11th August 2011, 03:19   #1  |  Link
rlu

Tinker Tailor (TV mini-series): episodes present twice on DVD

hello,

I own the set of 3 DVDs which contain all 6 episodes of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with Alec Guinness. The DVDs are region 1 encoded, and I would like to re-burn them with no region to be able to play them in my german DVD player.

Each DVD has two episodes on it. When I list the contents with "lsdvd" or dvdrip, I see that each episode is apparently present twice (output of lsdvd below). If I use mplayer to play particular titles, i.e., "mplayer dvd://2" I get the same episide for two of the titles, and the other episode for the other two long titles.

Why are they doubled?

cheers,

Rob

$ lsdvd
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
Disc Title: TTSS_D1
Title: 01, Length: 00:00:18.153 Chapters: 01, Cells: 01, Audio streams: 08, Subpictures: 32

Title: 02, Length: 00:51:24.253 Chapters: 08, Cells: 08, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Title: 03, Length: 00:51:24.253 Chapters: 08, Cells: 08, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Title: 04, Length: 00:54:21.286 Chapters: 08, Cells: 08, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Title: 05, Length: 00:54:21.286 Chapters: 08, Cells: 08, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Title: 06, Length: 00:27:28.020 Chapters: 01, Cells: 01, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Longest track: 04
rlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 10:30   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I don't have the series so I don't know why.
Reasons therefore are however a lot, pick one of them:
- different languages/subtitles
- alternate credits (for ES, IT, DE etc.) - the easiest solution not to do a multiangle
- alternate sequences (various signs or newspapers or letters appearing on screen that are in several languages)
etc. etc.

It is not always needed to double the space for duplicated episodes.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:27   #3  |  Link
manono

Ordinarily they wouldn't actually be on the DVD twice but once with menu commands saying what's to be played. For example, in your menu you most likely have the choice to 'Play All'. And another choice to play them one at a time. For only one of those commands will the episodes be on the DVD. You can confirm (or disprove) this by opening the DVD in VobBlanker and highlighting the VTS that contains the episodes. You'll then see them in the lower window, but only once will the episode have any size.

And welcome to the forum.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote