Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd May 2016, 11:43   #2661  |  Link
rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Where can it be found?
Option->Playback->Fullscreen
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:13   #2662  |  Link
GCRaistlin

rock, thanks. Though I don't understand why it is there:
  • Isn't the audio delay needed in non-fullscreen mode?
  • Why is the audio delay bound to the display mode? I use madVR/ReClock combination to change display refresh rate depending on the source FPS, so I don't need/want to change it by MPC-HC.
  • MPC-HC doesn't really recognize display device names and shows them all as "Plug and Play Monitor" (madVR shows them correctly). I have 3 display devices connected to my video card, only 2 of them can be active simultaneously ('cause my video card is AMD and all display devices are connected legacy), 2 devices that are being swapped require different audio delays - I have no idea how to set up this configuration properly by the current means.
I believe this feature was partially inspired by my ticket, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be really usable now.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 00:50   #2663  |  Link
Megalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
Searching for "MPC-HC" in Regedit brings one to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-HC.
Thanks. I should have thought to check there, aside from the AppData and Program Files folder.

So, I'm currently using MPC-HC in conjunction with MKVToolNix to make clips out of MKV files, which can only cut on keyframes. Is there any way to ensure that you land on a keyframe in MPC-HC aside from clicking on the seek bar? I feel like using the mouse is inaccurate and existing keyframes that are close to one another are missed. If only there was an option to change frame step (Shift+Left/Right Arrow) to keyframe step...
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 01:55   #2664  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Thanks. I should have thought to check there, aside from the AppData and Program Files folder.

So, I'm currently using MPC-HC in conjunction with MKVToolNix to make clips out of MKV files, which can only cut on keyframes. Is there any way to ensure that you land on a keyframe in MPC-HC aside from clicking on the seek bar? I feel like using the mouse is inaccurate and existing keyframes that are close to one another are missed. If only there was an option to change frame step (Shift+Left/Right Arrow) to keyframe step...
Options -> Tweaks, enable Fast seek.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 02:31   #2665  |  Link
Megalith

Never mind, I'm an idiot. For some reason, I thought you could only frame step using the arrow keys. I even mentioned Shift+Left/Right Arrow in my last post, which *is* keyframe step...
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 00:10   #2666  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
  • Why is the audio delay bound to the display mode? I use madVR/ReClock combination to change display refresh rate depending on the source FPS, so I don't need/want to change it by MPC-HC.
  • MPC-HC doesn't really recognize display device names and shows them all as "Plug and Play Monitor" (madVR shows them correctly). I have 3 display devices connected to my video card, only 2 of them can be active simultaneously ('cause my video card is AMD and all display devices are connected legacy), 2 devices that are being swapped require different audio delays - I have no idea how to set up this configuration properly by the current means.
I believe this feature was partially inspired by my ticket, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be really usable now.
I also support this feature as it's also needed in my setup. But I would prefer it if it could be used in conjunction with madVR's display mode switching. I don't want MPC-HC to handle display modes.

Edit: This is better a feature request for madVR.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th May 2016 at 03:03.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 20:20   #2667  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Where are the settings for MPC-HC stored? I accidentally installed the x64 version and chose to get rid of the configuration file during the uninstall process, thinking it was linked to that specific version, but it wiped out the settings for the x86 version as well.
Settings are stored in registry (in already mentioned key) and are shared all MPC-HC instances you might run. You can however enable storing settings in .ini file, this way each instance will have own file with settings.

Quote:
Audio delay can be set globally in audio switcher and has always been. It is completely independent from display modes. New feature lets everyone to override default audio delay per display mode. We have received requests for this feature because some TVs have different input lag depending of post processing and refresh rate. About display modes switcher in MPC-HC it could use some changes which may come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I also support this feature as it's also needed in my setup. But I would prefer it if it could be used in conjunction with madVR's display mode switching. I don't want MPC-HC to handle display modes.

Edit: This is better a feature request for madVR.
Unfortunately if MPC-HC doesn't handle mode switching it can't really base audio delay on the mode. While this could be done by some monitoring on current mode, it would be confusing what's going on. Now audio delay is set when mode is changed and I think this is easy to understand for users. If madVR is used to control display mode it might also ask player/filters for appropriate audio delay. But this is little bit not sure if video renderer should do that.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 21:13   #2668  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
New feature lets everyone to override default audio delay per display mode. We have received requests for this feature because some TVs have different input lag depending of post processing and refresh rate.
As I wrote in my ticket, some devices (projectors) have permanent input lag regardless of refresh rate. That's why I asked for the possibility to set not overriding but additional audio delay (that should be summarized with the current global audio delay) that is being set simply per device.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 5th May 2016, 23:16   #2669  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
As I wrote in my ticket, some devices (projectors) have permanent input lag regardless of refresh rate. That's why I asked for the possibility to set not overriding but additional audio delay (that should be summarized with the current global audio delay) that is being set simply per device.
Can't you do that with LAV Audio (set a global audio delay)?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 23:45   #2670  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Can't you do that with LAV Audio (set a global audio delay)?
What do I need setting global audio delay with LAV Audio for? I suppose you don't get what I'm talking about.
I have 3 display devices connected to my video card: 2 "general" displays and 1 projector. General displays don't introduce the input lag; the projector does. I watch movies sometimes on the projector, sometimes on the main monitor, sometimes on the second monitor. Now I'm forced to manually change the global audio delay depending on what device I'm watching the video currently on. Of course sometimes I forget doing that; then I'm forced to stop the playback, go to the console (if I'm watching a movie on the projector), exit fullscreen, change the audio delay... or at least to change the audio delay using my IR remote control... anyway it's not good while you're watching a serious movie!
What is more is that sometimes a movie's audio track requires the specific audio delay itself. So I need to sum up the delays and set the required delay. It's not a big deal - but not to forget to clear this delay after watching IS.
In short all this is a real PITA right now.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 8th May 2016, 19:52   #2671  |  Link
mbordas

Is there any way to toggle on/off the use of ac3filter? I'd like to enable it for stereo sources, but leave it off for surround sound. The only way I've found it to check prefer/block under external filters, but then I have to restart mpc-hc. Is there a better solution?
mbordas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 22:25   #2672  |  Link
Piyoko

Hello, is it possible to somehow load an image and overlay that on the video as part of a pixel shader?

The uniformity of my TV is not perfect; the left side is tinted very slightly red, in the middle there's a band that's tinted very slightly green, plus the usual faint clouding etc. and it's kind of distracting when watching black and white movies.

So I had this idea of taking a photo of the TV displaying a solid grey image in order to create a sort of difference map from perfect, uniform grey, then load this image in a shader and use it to modify the corresponding pixel values to offset the variations of the panel. Similar idea to the LCD angle correction shader but more complex than a simple ramp.

Just wanted to check if anyone knew off-hand if this would at all be possible or not. Thanks.

Last edited by Piyoko; 8th May 2016 at 22:45.
Piyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 05:24   #2673  |  Link
fvisagie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyoko View Post
Hello, is it possible to somehow load an image and overlay that on the video as part of a pixel shader?
The overlay can be done in Avisynth, and I understand Avisynth can be invoked from MPC-HC (I haven't done that myself).
fvisagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 08:53   #2674  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

AviSynth may be able to overlay an image in different modes, but not as fast pixel shader.

MPC-HC supports pixel shaders as rendering effects, but I can't tell you how to write one which applies a texture over a video. But it sounds possible to me, a kind of RGB offset texture, maybe in lower resolution and scaled up to the video resolution.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 08:58   #2675  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
The overlay can be done in Avisynth, and I understand Avisynth can be invoked from MPC-HC (I haven't done that myself).
You can use ffdshow for that.
Old 9th May 2016, 09:04   #2676  |  Link
jmartinr

Come to think of it, you can also overlay a png directly with ffdshow. That's probably the most simple solution.
Old 10th May 2016, 00:33   #2677  |  Link
Piyoko

I was really hoping to avoid adding more stuff to the playback chain but I might try ffdshow, thanks for the tip.

Had a look at some HLSL tutorials and from what I gather it doesn't seem like it's possible to load another texture in the shader code, rather it has to be passed as an input (like the video texture).
Piyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 04:37   #2678  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Hey, I'm having trouble getting MPC-HC to work with a single mkv file with multiple video streams within it. For example, I have many movies with deleted scenes or alternate endings in a separate video stream.

When I change the video track in MPC-HC it does successfully change the video stream. However, the problem is the track duration and seekbar do not change accordingly. This is a huge problem that ends up crashing MPC-HC, as I'll explain below.

So, for example, let's say Video Track 1 (default video track) is 02:00:00 and Video Track 2 is 00:06:00. When I change the video track in MPC-HC to Video Track 2, the track duration (seen at the bottom of MPC-HC) remains at 02:00:00. So when I click in the middle of the seekbar, it tries to seek to an hour within Video Track 2 (which is only 6 minutes long). MPC-HC then immediately crashes. It ought to seek to 3 minutes (since that's half the duration of Video Track 2) but it doesn't because it still thinks the video track is two hours long.

This is true for every multi-video-track mkv file I've ever attempted to play in MPC-HC, and that's a lot of them.

I'd really hate to have to demux them all into separate mkv files because of this...
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 08:38   #2679  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Multiple streams in containers like MKV are expected to have the same (or at least a similar) duration. What you are trying to do is not what having multiple streams in one container is supposed to be used for.
If you want them all in one file, there are other ways with MKV, using ordered chapters and editions, which would allow MPC-HC to play these properly and allow you to switch from the GUI what to play.

I would not expect your current files to improve, and I would honestly be surprised if any player handles that situation any different. The file duration is largely independent of which track you currently selected.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:46   #2680  |  Link
GCRaistlin

nevcairiel
I suppose crashing is something that has to be fixed anyway, isn't it?

Magically yours
Raistlin

Tags
dxva, media player classic, mpc, mpc-hc