Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2015, 11:26   #641  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have bad news. Unfortunately, due to limitations in the Windows command prompt (CMD), it is not possible to use a network share as the BD3D2MK3D project directory, unless you map a drive letter to the folder. It's because everything in BD3D2MK3D assumes that the project files are in the "current directory" when __ENCODE_3D.cmd is launched. And, if __ENCODE_3D.cmd is somewhere on a network share, when you launch it (by double clicking it), the current directory is "C:\Windows" instead of the directory containing the CMD file.

It is even not possible to launch manually the command prompt and CD to the project directory manually. CMD issues an error message and the current directory doesn't change, as you can see:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32>cd \\192.168.0.2\LaCie
'\\192.168.0.2\LaCie'
CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories.
Therefore, you MUST assign a drive letter to the network share to launch __ENCODE_3D.cmd (or any other CMD from the project directory), or it will fail immediately because it doesn't find the project files.

However, I have fixed the bug causing the crash when the project is created, and I did a quick test (without subtitle streams). It is now possible to generate the project without problem on a network share (without the drive letter). But you will need to assign a drive letter anyway to encode and mux it. I can't change everything just to be able to use a network share for the project directory, especially because IMO it's not a good idea, and because the solution of the drive letter exists.

I will add a warning if the user tries to use a network share to explain that he will have to map a drive letter to encode the movie. I need also to verify if it is possible to convert the subtitles to 3D correctly on a network share. So, please be patient. The new version will not be available immediately...

[EDIT] Just finished a short test. I have generated a project on my Lacie. It's a short film with some subtitles. The generation of the project took 32 minutes. Out of curiosity, I have generated exactly the same project on my slowest local HDD, and it took less than 7 minutes. About 4.5 times faster! Of course, you may have a faster network than mine, but obviously, a network drive will never be as fast as a local HDD. I have not tried to encode the project yet, but that will certainly also be slower.

I have also encountered another problem with the subtitles, and I have to fix it too. I will therefore have to do another test before releasing the new version, and that tests are damn slow! ;-)

Last edited by r0lZ; 20th October 2015 at 13:25.
Old 20th October 2015, 18:06   #642  |  Link
thahandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have bad news. Unfortunately, due to limitations in the Windows command prompt (CMD), it is not possible to use a network share as the BD3D2MK3D project directory, unless you map a drive letter to the folder. It's because everything in BD3D2MK3D assumes that the project files are in the "current directory" when __ENCODE_3D.cmd is launched. And, if __ENCODE_3D.cmd is somewhere on a network share, when you launch it (by double clicking it), the current directory is "C:\Windows" instead of the directory containing the CMD file.
[...]
U can't CMD/CD on a direct network share but u can point to a network share (like you pointed out already), but this require you to run from BD3D2MK3D or a temp / project folder, which is the other way you work
Quote:
[EDIT] Just finished a short test. I have generated a project on my Lacie. It's a short film with some subtitles. The generation of the project took 32 minutes. Out of curiosity, I have generated exactly the same project on my slowest local HDD, and it took less than 7 minutes. About 4.5 times faster! Of course, you may have a faster network than mine, but obviously, a network drive will never be as fast as a local HDD.
Assuming you have 40GB to demux, it's about 75MB/s for the HDD and 20MB/s over network.
Most likely your NAS is the bottleneck. Nice for small things not for bulk storage. A NAS with writing speed of +100MB/s cost a lot tbh .

Tsmuxer to //host/share (hitachi 1TB) 11m02s ~60MB/S (~550Mb/s)
Tsmuxer to HDD1 (WD raptor 300) 10m24s ~ 63MB/s
Tsmuxer to SSD (samsung 840 EVO) 10m07s ~ 66MB/S
Quote:
I have not tried to encode the project yet, but that will certainly also be slower.
[..]
As fast it can encode but I doubt its passing the 5MB/s
Old 20th October 2015, 18:40   #643  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have intentionally avoided the path in the CMD and MUX_OPTIONS files generated by BD3D2MK3D, because I know that paths are a source of problems when they contain accented or special characters (due to the absurd handling of the character encodings by M$, especially for everything related to the command prompt). Therefore, I prefer to CD to the directory containing the project files, as I can use the file names without the paths. That makes also the files easier to read and modify manually. And I really don't want to change that now.
The bug report should be sent to M$, not yo me! ;-)

I have finished all tests and as far as I know, creating the project files on a network share works now flawlessly. But you will still have to map the network drive letter to encode it.

I will release the new version (my) tomorrow...

For the speed comparison, I notice that some tools are much slower when they work on distant files, regardless of the speed of the network. Not sure why, but for example, when tsMuxeR has finished demuxing the streams, the progress bar stays blocked on 100% during a long moment, apparently without reason. I suppose it's because all files must be flushed and closed, and it's long. Also, the tool that extracts the 3D-Plannes from the MVC stream is terribly slow. Of course, if you have a very fast NAS, you can minimize that problems. It's up to you, but I persist to think that encoding locally is better.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:35   #644  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.75

Here is the update. It should fix all issues and implement some suggestions that have been discussed here.

Quote:
v0.75 (October 21, 2015)
- The x264 or x265 output is now saved in the file ENCODE_3D.log (or ENCODE_2D.log).
- Convert Subtitles to 3D: New option to search in other 3D-Planes when a subtitle has no defined depth in the specified 3D-Plane.
- Fix: The SAR (Sample Aspect Ratio) was not correct in the h264/h265 file when encoding in Full-SBS or Full-T&B.
- Fix: In some circumstances, the test for sufficient disc space was not made before beginning the demux operation.
- Fix: Chapter File Converter: Bug when retrieving the chapter names from another subtitle file.
- Fix: Crash when encoding with x265.
- Fix: Crash when generating the project files on a network share.
- Added a warning when trying to generate a project on a network share (without a mapped drive letter).
- Minor cosmetic changes.
- Updated MkvMerge and MkvPropEdit to the latest version (v8.5.0)
- Updated x264 to the latest build (v0.148.2638)
As usual, you can download it here: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 21st October 2015, 16:04   #645  |  Link
pharaoh

r0lZ, thanks. I'll try v0.75 soon.

Just to finish the discussion about doing all this over the network - I don't normally stare at my screen while these operations are happening, so speed is not my primary concern. But I try to minimize electric consumption of all my toys, mostly because I'm a dweeb and I like to optimize everything. I have an i5 desktop that used to be my server and encoding machine. That things burns 70 watts at idle and 140 when encoding. Always on and with a typical amount of monthly encoding, that amounts to about $18 (singapore dollars) in electricity, monthly. It's also big and a bit noisy. So a while back I bought a i3 intel NUC and parked the desktop out of site (still turn it on to backup the NAS and do experimental stuff). The NUC encodes about half as fast but consumes only 6 watts at idle and 18 watts when encoding. That saves me about $16 per month. The ROI on the NUC is about 3 years, but in addition, it's dead quiet, all but invisible and just plain cool. So anyway, that's the main workhorse now. Problem it only has a 120GB SSD. So I rip all my disk images to the NAS (8T, 14 watts, 40MB/sec write, 60MB/sec read). When I endode 2D, I store and post-process on the SSD. But these BD3D2MK3D projects are too big. Creating a typical project from and to the NAS takes 15 minutes or so. Encoding from and to the NAS has no bearing on encoding speed. Muxing from and to the NAS does take quite a bit longer that locally, but it's still just a few minutes. So I'm a happy camper and mapping a drive letter is vanishingly small inconvenience.
Old 21st October 2015, 16:42   #646  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You have good reasons, indeed. BTW, congrats for your wish to minimize electric consumption. My next PC will certainly be as economical as possible, but currently I still have an old Q8200, a small SSD and a lot of USB hard discs. (Most hard discs are disconnected when I don't need them.) And I have always a HDD around with at least 100GB free, so encoding locally is not a problem for me.

Let me know if the fix works as expected. I have only made 2 quick tests, and apparently everything is OK, but who knows?!
Old 26th October 2015, 22:05   #647  |  Link
sfatula

Error

I am trying to process a BluRay I own, backed up via MakeMKV to file structure, as input to this program. I select no subtitles, I enter a output directory of D:\Temp (an external drive hooked to the machine), which has 2TB of disc space free and has my entire library on it that I play via Kodi. Doing HSBS. I click do it, and, I get an error dialog box:

Error: can't read "discspace1": no such variable.

What is likely the issue?
Old 27th October 2015, 09:45   #648  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I see. It's a problem due to a discrepancy in the file structure created by MakeMKV. It doesn't create the SSIF files, and BD3D2MK3D need then to compute the required disc space. I have located the problem and fixed it. I will release a new version soon...

In the meantime, I don't know if MakeMKV can create an ISO, of if you can "burn" the file structure to an ISO with another program, but normally the SSIF files should be created during the creation of the 3D ISO. You should therefore be able to mount the ISO and process it without problem with BD3D2MK3D.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:15   #649  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.76

OK, problem fixed.

This version has also a new batch mode to encode several projects in a row. You still have to generate the projects one at a time, but when they are created on disc, you can use File -> Batch Encode to modify automatically the __POSTPROCESS_3D.cmd files (or _POSTPROCESS_2D.cmd files if you select 2D encodings) of the selected projects so that the next encoding will start automatically.
Note that you can define a batch list when the first project is already encoding. The second project will start automatically when the first project is finished.

Note that due to the bug reported by sfatula, I wanted to release this version as rapidly as possible. Therefore I haven't had much time to check the Batch Encode function (and the fix). Please let me know if you find some problems. Also, when I'll have some free time, I will perhaps rewrite the Batch Encode from scratch to present a real GUI with a window containing all projects. But that's for later, if the new function is really useful. So, if you want so, let me know that you like the Batch Encode! ;-)

Quote:
v0.76 (October 27, 2015)
- Added File -> Batch Encode (to chain several _ENCODE_*D.cmd files together and encode them all in a row)
- Fix: Error when processing a BD3D file structure created by MakeMKV on hard disc.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 27th October 2015, 19:36   #650  |  Link
sfatula

More Details on my error

So, MakeMKV can make an MKV, or, it can make a backup. A backup makes a file structure, "just like" the original BluRay, except, unprotected. The ssif files are basically empty as they are not actually needed by most players. I am wanting to use this program so I can keep my BluRays in their case, and, move my 3d collection to disk. So, I can't use your program against the original BluRay since it fails, I presume due to protection. But I want to be able to use it with the backup. I have downloaded your enhanced version. It is currently running the conversion. We'll see if that's the only issue, or, if it's even possible to use MakeMkv for this purpose along with this program.
Old 27th October 2015, 21:47   #651  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It should work without problem. The bug related to the "missing" SSIF files has been introduced relatively recently (with a change in the way the free disc space is checked), but before BD3D2MK3D did not require the SSIF files, and should still not require them.
The only difference with a "real ISO" (with the SSIF) is that BD3D2MK3D skips now the test for sufficient disc space. You must therefore ensure yourself that you have enough free space before launching the creation of the project and before launching the encoding itself. The rest should be OK.
Old 27th October 2015, 21:58   #652  |  Link
sfatula

It works

The first part ran, and I am now running the 3D encode script to create the file(s). So, it appears you are correct! Thanks.
Old 28th October 2015, 07:31   #653  |  Link
sfatula

Ok, I am assuming I did something wrong. The 3D movie does play, looks pretty good. But I lost the trueHD sound, it's DD 5.1. Since your very first page strongly implies I can keep the TrueHD audio, where did I miss that setting, or, option? What do I click or not click on which screen to keep it? I did select the TrueHD audio stream, but, it came out 5.1.
Old 28th October 2015, 09:23   #654  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Be sure to untick the two options below the area with the streams in tab 2, and especially the first one: "Use the 5.1 core of DTS-HD and E-AC3 audio streams". The second option converts the "heavy" audio tracks to AC3 or AAC (max 5.1), so you should untick it too.

Take care however. TrueHD has NO AC3 core! It's ONLY in the blu-ray discs that an AC3 stream is associated with the THD strream. So, if you untick the first option, you will end up with a MKV that will have no audio if you try to play it with a player without a THD decoder. Ideally, you should include the THD AND the AC3 streams in the final MKV, but currently it's something not handled by BD3D2MK3D. You can however do it manually if you edit the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file. Let me know if you need both streams.

Note that you don't need to start everything over, especially if the thd track is already in the target folder. In that case, you can simply edit __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt and change the filename (and optionally the title) of the current audio stream to use the thd track instead. Then launch __MUX_3D.cmd to recreate the MKV, this time with the thd track.

And if the thd track has not been demuxed, you can either demux it yourself with tsMuxeR or eac3to, then again edit __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt and launch __MUX_3D.cmd. Or if you prefer a long but simple operation, you can move the XXXXX_3D.264 file in another directory, restart the generation of the project with the correct options in tab 2 (it will replace the whole content of the target directory), and finally move back the .264 file in the project dir and launch __MUX_3D.cmd.

Sidenote: I have decided to split the 3 operations (encoding, muxing and optional computer shutdown) in 3 different CMD files for reasons like this. In fact, __ENCODE_3D.cmd calls __MUX_3D.cmd and __POSTPROCESS_3D.cmd, but you can launch __MUX_3D.cmd yourself (if the 264 file generated by __ENCODE_3D.cmd is already present in the directory) to just redo the muxing phase, without having to compute the h264 file again. It's specially handy if you want to add an external stream (such as subtitles downloaded from the internet). You can modify the MUX file when the encoding is in progress, and if you need to modify the final MKV (for example because the subtitles are not correctly synchronised), you can do it without having to restart the whole process. Similarly, you can edit (or delete) the POSTPROCESS file if you change your mind and you don't want to shut the computer down any more. (The new Batch Mode, introduced with the latest version modifies also the POSTPROSESS file to chain the encodings together.) In your case, it is also sufficient to modify the MUX file because you already have the 264 file. Just be sure to not overwrite it accidentally.

Last edited by r0lZ; 28th October 2015 at 09:25.
Old 28th October 2015, 15:05   #655  |  Link
sfatula

Well, "Use the 5.1 core" was my first guess so unticked that and reran over night along with other changes since first run was just a test anyway, still running with the encode since the machine isn't super fast, and, I am using slow. Looks like 11 hours totals will be the result, 64 bit x264. I know it can't be played on non TrueHD systems. Only play in the dedicated theater room though with TrueHD. I don't use subtitles, though, I should probably rethink that.

Question about 64 bit x264, is this referring to the app that does the encode, or what? Is the idea it may run a little faster?

BTW - this is an excellent tool you have created, as opposed to manually running all the various pieces. It makes experimenting super easy as you check or uncheck a few boxes. Good work!
Old 28th October 2015, 15:31   #656  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can already verify if the THD track has been demuxed. It should have the .thd or .ac3+thd extension. And it should be referenced in __MUX_3D_options.txt.

Yes, using 64-bit x264 is a bit faster (especially with slow presets). Note that avisynth is a 32-bit program, and therefore it cannot communicate directly with x264 64-bit. It's why its output is read by avs2yuv.exe (32-bit), and then piped to x264 (64-bit). There is a very little overhead due to avs2yuv, but anyway the speed gain is still interesting. Don't expect a major gain, though.

Thanks for your appreciation of BD3D2MK3D! :-)
Old 30th October 2015, 06:20   #657  |  Link
sfatula

Anyone know, since this uses java 32 bit, if it can be installed in addition to existing java 64 bit, which I need for other purposes?

It's too bad there is no good player for mkv mvc yet except steroscopic player. Maybe some day.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:36   #658  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, you can install the 64 and 32-bit versions alongside. Not sure what version will be used by default by your java programs, but they are compatible. Be sure to update both versions when an update is available. For whatever reason, I am notified only for a single version.

Also, with some luck, the 64-bit version will work with BD3D2MK3D. Try this: Verify if the java version is selected in Settings -> BDSup2Sub, and launch Tools -> Open Subtitle in BDSup2Sub and select any subtitle stream. If the BDSup2Sub window opens, that means that the 64-bit version should work without problem, including when a project is created.

I have written that the 32-bit version is necessary after a lot of problems I've had with java, and the only way I've found to have it working was to uninstall all versions, clean the registry manually, and re-install properly the 32-bit version. But the problems were probably due to the absurd way java is installed under Windows, and perhaps not to a 64-bit incompatibility. Anyway, try to use the 64-bit version before installing the 32-bit. It may work fine. In the meantime, I'll do some tests here...
Old 30th October 2015, 12:08   #659  |  Link
frank
Banned

wrong version no 0.75

Version v0.76 has not updated the number, shows old v0.75.
Old 30th October 2015, 12:23   #660  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oops, yes, sorry. Too late anyway. I have already added new things, and v0.77 is on the way. I'll try to release it as soon as possible...
Closed Thread