Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th November 2021, 14:35   #1481  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
How is this new beta?
I have some problems with OCR by binary image compare with this subtitle.

Regardless of the text position (I will fix later by ASS codes), some letters, such as C, O, S, U are wrongly recognized as capital letters but entering the Inspect matches for current image and scrolling the wrong ones, the Text associated with image is actually correct.

I have tried to manually update the characters, deleting Latin.db and starting from scratch but nothing seems to work.

Can you please check it?
Old 14th November 2021, 16:01   #1482  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
Just installed 3.6.3 and the issue I posted here is still present. I don't think it's the way SE is outputting the new .sup or png files, I think it's how SE is reading the original .sup.

Instead of importing the original .sup for edit, I imported the .sup for OCR and you can see the broken/rough edges in the preview window.
The OCR preview is a little rough... check the File -Import - Blu-ray sup for edit - to see a better preview (or save the image and open it in paint.net or photoshop).

I've fixed an issue regarding VLC recently - perhaps it is this issue you got? https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...it/issues/5352

Last edited by Nikse555; 14th November 2021 at 16:06.
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 16:04   #1483  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I have some problems with OCR by binary image compare with this subtitle.

Regardless of the text position (I will fix later by ASS codes), some letters, such as C, O, S, U are wrongly recognized as capital letters but entering the Inspect matches for current image and scrolling the wrong ones, the Text associated with image is actually correct.

I have tried to manually update the characters, deleting Latin.db and starting from scratch but nothing seems to work.

Can you please check it?
I turned off the "NOCR fallback" and OCR'ed the entire subtitle (minus the two/three last lines which are a bit weird).
No problems here...
Old 15th November 2021, 08:09   #1484  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
I turned off the "NOCR fallback" and OCR'ed the entire subtitle (minus the two/three last lines which are a bit weird).
No problems here...
I even started with a fresh install of SE but couldn't have as good result as yours. Please attach me your settings.xml file.
Old 15th November 2021, 16:36   #1485  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
I even started with a fresh install of SE but couldn't have as good result as yours. Please attach me your settings.xml file.
Yeah, actually also got some casing problems... I think it's just easier to start a new ocr db, like this: https://www.nikse.dk/BinOcrDbWolf.zip
Old 15th November 2021, 16:38   #1486  |  Link
Janusz

Quote:
If I can advise something?
In my opinion, the problem arises in the first three lines. SE does not find here the correct height for the strings, hence the later substitution of lowercase to uppercase or vice versa. It was like that for me too. If I do ocr (Binary image compare) from the fourth line, the phenomenon does not occur, and the text literally requires a few corrections in the character base so that the entire text looks flawless only with the use of the Italian dictionary. The italic text used also introduces some restrictions on spaces, hence a few errors of combined or separated words. (between „L” i „'”: 5 times, there should be no space - it's just like that quickly).

Quote:
No problems here...
In the sup file I replaced the contents of 2, 3 and the penultimate line, deleted the last empty one and got it.

Edit:
A few notes on ocr with my character base created for this file:
1. Settings / Tools / Fix common OCR errors - enabled - fixes OCR errors:
- fix double apostrophes to a single quote (")(5), but also
- turns double apostrophes + . (''.) to ellipsis (...) (2).
Application. It is better to leave the option off because the double apostrophes is easy to find and repair during ocr and after.
2. In the default file ita_OCRFixReplaceList.xml, the "<Word from ="l"to ="I"/>" line is problematic and generates OCR errors that need to be manually corrected (1). I did not use this file at all.

Last edited by Janusz; 16th November 2021 at 10:40.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 13:54   #1487  |  Link
Master Yoda

Quote:
The OCR preview is a little rough... check the File -Import - Blu-ray sup for edit - to see a better preview (or save the image and open it in paint.net or photoshop).

I've fixed an issue regarding VLC recently - perhaps it is this issue you got? https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...it/issues/5352
Opened the sup by going File - Blu-ray sup for edit, selected one of the lines giving issues and export to png. This is what the exported png looks like in photoshop
Master Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 19:44   #1488  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Opened the sup by going File - Blu-ray sup for edit, selected one of the lines giving issues and export to png. This is what the exported png looks like in photoshop
OK, what bd export settings do you use?
Here is my test - the result is with nice alpha blending:
Old 18th November 2021, 13:49   #1489  |  Link
Master Yoda

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to create/export a .sup from srt or another format. I have a .sup which I open by going file-import-Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle file for edit.

Unless I missed something, I didn't see any BD export settings under options.

On this screen, after adjusting times I select save as and it just asks where to save to, no options. If I click on export image, again just asks where to save to, no options.

You can also see in the preview window the edges aren't smooth.
Old 18th November 2021, 17:57   #1490  |  Link
Janusz

Quote:
... I have a .sup which I open by going file-import-Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle file for edit.
Or maybe they are animated subtitles and what we see is the first or the last step of this animation?
I suspect that during the export, SE does not transfer the animation, hence the differences in the perception of subtitles when watching the movie and during editing, when we see only one step from the animation.

@Niksee
Is my reasoning correct?
Old 18th November 2021, 20:25   #1491  |  Link
Nikse555

@Janusz: Ah, yes. SE is not showing all images when detecting fade in/out - only the "middle image" which is normally preferred.

@Master Yoda: Could you possible upload/email the sup somewhere?
Old 19th November 2021, 17:12   #1492  |  Link
Master Yoda

@Nikse555 Uploaded to mediafire. Here is the sup file.

Not every line has an issue, some are ok, some have that rough broken edge.
Old 19th November 2021, 21:37   #1493  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
@Nikse555 Uploaded to mediafire. Here is the sup file.

Not every line has an issue, some are ok, some have that rough broken edge.
thx for the file

Seems to be some palette issue - how is this?
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

I don't really have the bdsup specs, only some old java code from BdSub2Sup - the fix in above beta is always use last palette which seems to work for sub #88... might be correct, or it might not. If anybody knows feel free to join in
Old 20th November 2021, 14:28   #1494  |  Link
Master Yoda

Quote:
thx for the file

Seems to be some palette issue - how is this?
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

I don't really have the bdsup specs, only some old java code from BdSub2Sup - the fix in above beta is always use last palette which seems to work for sub #88... might be correct, or it might not. If anybody knows feel free to join in
Done a quick checked of the first 5 minutes and it looks like what you have done has fixed the issue.

I'll do a more thorough check and then reply back once I have.
Old 20th November 2021, 16:53   #1495  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Done a quick checked of the first 5 minutes and it looks like what you have done has fixed the issue.

I'll do a more thorough check and then reply back once I have.
Cool, thx for sharp eyes/testing
Old 21st November 2021, 14:46   #1496  |  Link
Master Yoda

@Nikse555
The change you made in the beta seems to have fixed the problem.

Looked through this .sup and all the lines I checked that had the problem now look ok.

Checked another .sup from a different show, which has the same colour and font and also had the same issue in 3.6.3, but it was ok in the beta.
Old 24th November 2021, 02:14   #1497  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I have 23.976 movie, but without my native subtitles. I have found ones, but for movie 29.97. Are there any possibility to change .srt 29.97 to .srt 23.976? Will it match my movie?

PS. There is a way to use English subtitles and translate it to my language, but this the last in queue.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 07:33   #1498  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
@Nikse555
The change you made in the beta seems to have fixed the problem.

Looked through this .sup and all the lines I checked that had the problem now look ok.

Checked another .sup from a different show, which has the same colour and font and also had the same issue in 3.6.3, but it was ok in the beta.
Thx again
I've also checked a few difficult sups and they are still fine. New version soon...
Old 24th November 2021, 07:40   #1499  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Dear Friends

I have 23.976 movie, but without my native subtitles. I have found ones, but for movie 29.97. Are there any possibility to change .srt 29.97 to .srt 23.976? Will it match my movie?

PS. There is a way to use English subtitles and translate it to my language, but this the last in queue.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

You can try the "Sync" menu item "Change frame rate", but "Sync" - "Visual sync" might be better as it handles all frame rate issues + start offset.
Still, the video might have different scene cuts and extra/deleted scenes, so it's not always easy.

To translate you can use the "Auto-translate - Auto-translate (Ctrl+shift+G)" menu item. The results will not be perfect and the amount of text you can translate per day is limited.
Old 24th November 2021, 10:43   #1500  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Nikse555

Quote:
You can try the "Sync" menu item "Change frame rate", but "Sync" - "Visual sync" might be better as it handles all frame rate issues + start offset.
Still, the video might have different scene cuts and extra/deleted scenes, so it's not always easy.

To translate you can use the "Auto-translate - Auto-translate (Ctrl+shift+G)" menu item. The results will not be perfect and the amount of text you can translate per day is limited.
Thank you for your reply.

I tried Point Sync via other subtitle and I have set point of sync for every 100 lines of subtitles and end effect is "wow", I have already checked some different parts of the movie and it looks OK.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote