Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2007, 05:50   #1201  |  Link
pcdthebum

does anyone know how to update the program so that we can incorporate the new drmdbg? or is it just a waiting game?
Old 7th June 2007, 12:30   #1202  |  Link
SalSimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysekurity View Post
MilOtis: do you know how to disable the "upgrade now" dialog? I've tried setting wmp to never check for updates, but that doesn't work. I've also tried hacking with the dlls, but nothing really came of that. Do you have any ideas? Or is it just a minor annoyance that I'll have to put up with every now and then?
Look at the quote below from my prior post.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneill5491
I don't know if there was a post about this earlier, but is there a way to stop WMP from asking you if you would like to install the available update (from beta 2 to final)?

Yes there is. . . .

1. Reboot Windows in SAFE Mode
2. Go to Program Files>Windows Media Player
3. Find setup_wm.exe
4. Rename it to anything else (e.g. setup_wm0.exe)
5. Reboot Windows

Works also by deleting setup_wm.exe, but renaming is better just in case you want o put it back. There may be other ways of avoiding the nag, but this one works for me.

Note: You have to be in SAFE Mode or else the Windows File Protection feature will put a new setup_wm.exe in the directory.
Old 7th June 2007, 16:24   #1203  |  Link
mysekurity

Petrus2: thanks!

And di3111: I downloaded it, but it didn't seem to do much. I'm running 11.0.57, but I'll try it on a machine with 11.0.6 to see if that might be the issue. Before fairuse came out, I used drmdbg with mixed results. Hopefully someone can port it into fairuse, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 7th June 2007, 17:37   #1204  |  Link
hicux

hey people. Im working on solving the problem for windows vista and Windows Xp. I will upload FairUSeWM 1.4 for Windows Xp and Vista as soon as possible. Thanks to Viodentia that he helped me in some codes. See u soon!
Old 7th June 2007, 17:38   #1205  |  Link
hicux

New update FairUseWM 1.4

hey people. Im working on solving the problem for windows vista and Windows Xp. I will upload FairUSeWM 1.4 for Windows Xp and Vista as soon as possible. Thanks to Viodentia that he helped me with some codes. See u soon!
Old 7th June 2007, 17:53   #1206  |  Link
CER22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicux View Post
hey people. Im working on solving the problem for windows vista and Windows Xp. I will upload FairUSeWM 1.4 for Windows Xp and Vista as soon as possible. Thanks to Viodentia that he helped me with some codes. See u soon!
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 7th June 2007, 20:51   #1207  |  Link
froggger

sounds great!!
does anybody still have a copy of fairuse4wm commander??
i can't find a link anywhere!
Old 8th June 2007, 03:33   #1208  |  Link
mysekurity

froggger: I do. Check your pm box.
Old 8th June 2007, 15:14   #1209  |  Link
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
milOtis,mysekurity> Thanks for hints, just installing XP to VPC. I tried it on W2003R2, I guess it was the problem. I'll report results ASAP.
WinXPSP2 + WMP 11.0.5721.5145 It don't ask for KB891122 anymore but when I'll individualize from link in this topic, components gets upgraded to 6000=unsupported. But it shouldn't be problem if I don't do individualization, right?
Old 9th June 2007, 01:54   #1210  |  Link
Episodio1

Is this topic only about drm in audio files?? All that I read is that you still need a valid license to decrypt the video file.

Thanks.
Old 9th June 2007, 02:08   #1211  |  Link
mysekurity

Episodio1 (and I assume Ren as well): Earlier in the thread, there was talk of DRM removal in WMV files, but I haven't tested it myself. You should just need a valid (playable) license to unDRM it. Either that, or you can use the tools FU4WM is based on (like drmdbg, drm2wmv, etc.), which I know were designed to remove WMV DRM.
Old 9th June 2007, 03:15   #1212  |  Link
mackie

Where can I get a version of WMP 10.0? I have 9 installed, but would rather have 10. Or the beta of 11.

Thanks.

Nevermind, I found it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...Downloads.aspx

Last edited by mackie; 9th June 2007 at 03:22.
Old 9th June 2007, 03:33   #1213  |  Link
mackie

I have another question.

On another computer, I am able to right-click on a song and select convert. Then a Microsoft program would open, and I would be able to convert the wma file to an mp3.

I can't do it on a different computer. Why?

What do I need to do this?
Old 9th June 2007, 06:57   #1214  |  Link
mysekurity

Mackie (in response to your second post): Your first computer most likely had software that your second computer did not. You say it was a Microsoft program, and without further clarification, I'm going to assume you are talking about either Plus! Audio Converter, which came with the Plus! Digital Media pack for Windows XP or Windows Media Encoder.

To replicate this functionality on other computers, you can install either of the aforementioned Microsoft products (which I wouldn't recommend, having used both for audio conversion), or a number of inexpensive and/or free alternatives available (installing a LAME plugin to dbPowerAMP, for example). Basically what allows you to right-click a file and select it to convert is the result of allowing a process to add itself to the "shell", the user interface between you and the operating system. Any conversion software should have an option to allow itself to be added to the shell, and if not, there are several registry tweaks to facilitate this.

Please let me know if any of this was confusing or if you have any further questions.
Old 9th June 2007, 16:15   #1215  |  Link
mackie

Quote:
Mackie (in response to your second post): Your first computer most likely had software that your second computer did not. You say it was a Microsoft program, and without further clarification, I'm going to assume you are talking about either Plus! Audio Converter, which came with the Plus! Digital Media pack for Windows XP or Windows Media Encoder.

To replicate this functionality on other computers, you can install either of the aforementioned Microsoft products (which I wouldn't recommend, having used both for audio conversion), or a number of inexpensive and/or free alternatives available (installing a LAME plugin to dbPowerAMP, for example). Basically what allows you to right-click a file and select it to convert is the result of allowing a process to add itself to the "shell", the user interface between you and the operating system. Any conversion software should have an option to allow itself to be added to the shell, and if not, there are several registry tweaks to facilitate this.

Please let me know if any of this was confusing or if you have any further questions.
Not confusing at all.

I forgot my original computer had the Media Center version of XP. I have other converters, it was just more convenient to highlight all my songs then right-click and select convert audio format.

Thanks anyway for your reply.
Old 9th June 2007, 17:42   #1216  |  Link
pcdthebum

Cant wait for the update

yes i edited what i said because it needed to be changed :P

Last edited by pcdthebum; 9th June 2007 at 19:56.
Old 9th June 2007, 19:38   #1217  |  Link
mysekurity

As far as I'm concerned, hicux can take as long as he needs to make sure it works properly. I'd rather have a well-tested release that works on Vista (one of the only reasons I have for not updating yet) than one that doesn't work at all.

Though I do have a few feature requests:
1) Scrubbing of the unique content identifier. I don't like the thought of being tracked by my software.
2) Implementing FairUse Commander right into the shell (making it even easier to use than before)
3) Removal of Zune DRM (not likely, but just thought I'd throw it in)

4) An explanation of what they did to break the tool. I read over the way WMA DRM works, and I'd like to contribute to the project, but I'm wondering what exactly happened to make it stop working...

EDIT: Thanks for reconsidering

Last edited by mysekurity; 9th June 2007 at 23:49. Reason: he edited it, so will I.
Old 9th June 2007, 19:54   #1218  |  Link
KenD00

@pcdthebum: If you think its so easy, no one stops you from doing it by yourself

Old 10th June 2007, 14:21   #1219  |  Link
SalSimp

Quote:
Though I do have a few feature requests:
Of most concern should be number one on the wish list. A lot of users may not be aware of the 'unseen' information that is in the WMA tag. This information even transfers to ID3 tags with most converters and is not evident (seen by programs like Tag&Rename, dBPoweramp, MP3Tag, etc). It will track you as the downloader. All you can do now is strip the tag completely and recreate it with clean information.

So, if you have been sharing. . . .
Old 10th June 2007, 15:27   #1220  |  Link
Danj

Quote:
1) Scrubbing of the unique content identifier. I don't like the thought of being tracked by my software.
This should not be a part of FairUse4WM itself, since it would firmly place it in the position of being a tool of piracy, instead of the legal grey area it currently inhabits. If information is needed to be stripped out of converted files it should be done by a third party tool, so that no blame attaches to FU4WM.
Closed Thread