Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th May 2023, 22:55   #401  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolamorx View Post
In Windows XP, how can I get rid of the blue borders around a non-maximized window? (Like in Windows 10)
You can't.
At least not officially.
All themes have them, unfortunately.
You can change the colour of course, but the border will still be there.

The shorthorn project (same guys who work at One Core API, ReactOS, Wine etc) does have interface packs as well, but I wouldn't honestly recommend to install them.

If any of them pleases you, you can install them as they're free and open source, but again, do it at your own risk as they might be unstable: http://shorthornproject.com/allcateg...tem-interfaces

My desktop is personally on the official Windows Embedded Standard theme by Microsoft and that's about it.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2023, 10:12   #402  |  Link
kolamorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
You can change the colour of course, but the border will still be there.
Can I change the colour of the borders in "Luna", blue (default) visual style from blue to gray?
kolamorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2023, 19:05   #403  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Can I change the colour of the borders?
Of course, but only with the classic theme.

So, let's start simple.
Desktop, right click, properties and you can choose one of the official themes:

Now, if you click "Advanced" you'll get a new menu.
Click on the first drop down menu and choose "Active Title Bar":

and you'll get the option to change it from blue to whatever color you like:

Personally, I'm using the Windows Embedded theme:

Old 21st June 2023, 12:15   #404  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
What is Windows 11's mysterious 'Emergency restart' feature?
What you need to know

Windows 11 and Windows 10 have a hidden feature that lets you restart your computer in case of an emergency.
The "Emergency restart" option isn't new, but it was highlighted in a recent report by BetaNews.
You can access the feature by pressing CTRL+ALT=DEL and clicking on the power button while holding CTRL.
https://www.windowscentral.com/softw...estart-feature
Did not know that. [but if machine frozen, just holding down power on/off for about 10-15 secs works just fine, as does pulling the plug]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 21st June 2023 at 12:19.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2023, 20:41   #405  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
In Windows XP, how can I get rid of the blue borders around a non-maximized window? (Like in Windows 10)
Attachment 18379
Don't. The Win10 theme sucks ass. Borders are good. You'll just have to get used to using an actually good UI.

Quote:
Can I change the colour of the borders in "Luna", blue (default) visual style from blue to gray?
Yes. Your options (other than blue) are silver and olive green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Of course, but only with the classic theme.
No, you can do it in Luna too. You just have more options in Classic.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 28th June 2023 at 20:44.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2023, 21:45   #406  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Good old Windows98SE in 2023, Avisynth 2.6.1, old AVSP (yes, AVSP, no "mod" no "mod mod"), old VirtualDub, old Mediainfo, old VLC but same good Doom9:

(if you wanna skip to me visiting Doom9 on Retrozilla, go to minute 04:10)

disclaimer: this was done out of fun and to test the new universal community made video drivers that allow Win98 to finally gain FULL HD RGB32 support.
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:31   #407  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Yeeees °!°
Old 11th July 2023, 21:11   #408  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Dont know if this of interest to anybody [looking @ you FaBB],
Welcome to Windows Update Restored :- http://windowsupdaterestored.com/

Quote:
This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. This software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind. We don't believe anything should go wrong, but please ensure you have backups of any important data anyway. The Windows Update websites offered here are unofficial. This project is for archival purposes only.

This is a community-based project and is actively updated. This project aims at restoring the legacy Windows Update websites, and allows older operating systems (Windows 95, NT 4.0, 98, Me, 2000, and XP) to obtain updates like they used to.

Ever since 2011 when Microsoft pulled the plug on nearly all the Windows Update websites, the Windows Update feature for older Windows operating systems was no longer functional. The only way to install updates after that point was through external third-party installers which didn't cover all the updates that the operating system would fully support. So, with this project, we can now update operating systems as old as Windows 95 all the way through Windows XP RTM like we used to back in the day.

The Windows Update Website provides users with security updates, optional updates, driver updates, and other types of software for the operating system. This project only restores the Windows Update website, not the Automatic Updates feature. To find out more about the Windows Update Website and what it does, Click Here

The Windows Update website is only compatible with a certain amount of operating systems. To view the compatibility page, Click Here

Quote:
This website requires a minimum of Internet Explorer 5.0 or above, but we recommend Internet Explorer 5.5. To download Internet Explorer 5.5, Click Here
All of this wouldn't be possible without The Wayback Machine. The Wayback Machine preserves old files, websites, and information that would otherwise be lost forever.

Thank you everyone who has contributed towards this amazing project on MSFN and more! Thank you for all the time spent getting each and every bit of this to work!
Here is the latest news for the website.
Quote:
Windows Update Restored website has launched!

We are proud to announce the release of the Windows Update Restored website! Now you can update your good old Windows 95 PC like you used to back in the day! With this website, you can relive the Windows Update experience from the late 90s to the early 2010s. This website restores the Windows Update v3.1 website (1997), and in the future, Windows Update v4 (2001), and Windows Update v5 (2004). This website allows you to update your Windows 95 system, Windows 98 First Edition and Second Edition systems, Windows ME System, and in the future Windows 2000 Systems, and Windows XP systems. Server versions are also supported. To view the compatibility page, please read Compatibility. To make sure your older systems stay securer than they were before, please update them so they will have the latest security updates. To learn more about this website and this project, please read our About page.

With the launch of this website, we introduce our very first officially restored Windows Update website, Windows Update v3.1! At the moment, it does work but we are still testing and improving v3.1 day by day. From launch, the following operating systems will be supported on Windows Update Restored v3: Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 SP3+ Windows 98 First and Second Edition, Windows Millenium Edition. Windows 2000 will be added in the future. Our main goal is to add the complete original inventory system to update to the fullest like you could back in the day!

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th July 2023 at 22:07.
Old 11th July 2023, 22:08   #409  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Also see prev post from about an hour ago.

For those of you with Apple devices,
https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/11/emerg...dget_home_tech
Quote:
Apple users have been alerted to update their devices with an ’emergency’ security update.

The vulnerability affects all versions of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and tvOS from 15.4 to 16.5.1. Attackers can exploit it to execute arbitrary code on a victim’s device by tricking them into visiting a malicious website.

On Monday, Apple released security updates to address the vulnerability and advised users to install the updates as soon as possible.

How to check if your device is affected

Go to Settings > General > About.
Look for the Software Version.
If your device is running iOS 15.4 or later, iPadOS 15.4 or later, macOS Monterey 12.3 or later, or tvOS 15.4 or later, then your device is affected by the vulnerability.

You should be fine if you have automatic updates with ‘Security Responses & System Files’ turned on. Rapid Security Responses are designed to be downloaded automatically onto Apple devices. Still, you might need to restart your device to complete the update.

If not, you should install the latest security updates as soon as possible. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
Quote:
Which Apple products are affected?

iPhone iPhone 8 and later
iPad All iPad Pro models, iPad Air 3rd generation and later, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 5th generation and later
Mac MacBook Air (M1, 2020), MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Mac mini (M1, 2020), iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021), iMac Pro (2017), Mac Pro (2019)
Apple TV Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)
Safari All versions of Safari up to and including 16.5.2
Above says iPad mini 5th gen and later, but my iPad mini 4 (OS v15.4) is currently downloading the update, so above is wrong
Must be bad bug, v15.4 was supposed to be final OS update for the mini 4.

EDIT: For me, updates iPad Mini 4 v15.4 to OS v15.7.7 [I'll hav'ta check Safari browser as well, also for old iPad 4 <non mini>]

EDIT: https://www.lifewire.com/check-the-v...-safari-446563
Quote:
Because Safari is part of the iOS operating system, its version is the same as the current version of iOS that you have.

To see the iOS version currently installed on an iPhone or iPad, follow the instructions below.
6, 2022
Reviewed by Michael Barton Heine Jr

Browsers

Safari
Chrome
Firefox
Microsoft

What To Know

Choose Safari from the top menu, and About Safari. The version number will be on the window that pops up.
On iOS, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Your iOS version and Safari version are the same. (Example: iOS 11 = Safari 11)

This article explains how to find the version of Safari that you're running on a Mac and an iOS device.
Find the Safari Version Number on a Mac

To determine which version of Safari is installed on a Mac computer:

Go to the dock and select the Safari icon to open the Safari browser.
Safari icon in macOS Dock

Choose About Safari under the Safari menu.
About Safari menu in macOS

A small window appears with the browser version number.
Safari Version 12.0.3 window in macOS

The first number, located before the parenthesis, is the current version of Safari. The longer second number (located inside the parentheses) is the WebKit/Safari Build version. For example, if the dialog box displays Version 11.0.3 (13604.5.6), the Safari version number is 11.0.3.

How to update Safari on the Mac
Find the Safari Version Number on an IOS Device

Because Safari is part of the iOS operating system, its version is the same as the current version of iOS that you have.

To see the iOS version currently installed on an iPhone or iPad, follow the instructions below.

1) Open Settings.
2) Select General.
3) Select Software Update. The number that appears at the top of the screen next to iOS is the version number. For example, if your iPhone or iPad is running iOS 11.2.6, then it is running Safari 11. If your device is running iOS 12.1.2, it is running Safari 12, and so on.
I guess then that my iPad 4 <non mini> is destined to remain at risk.

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th July 2023 at 22:47.
Old 11th July 2023, 22:37   #410  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
looking @ you FaBB
That is so cool!
Microsoft shouldn't have discontinued Windows Update, especially when there were still thousands of machines out there relying on it.
Although I downloaded the updates and I slipstreamed them into the ISO with NLite for future (eventual) use, it's nice to see that the community has taken an initiative to run this website.
I mean, if a few volunteers can spend their money to keep it running on a host, I'm sure Micro$oft - a 2.47 trillion dollars company - could have kept it running on a few spare Azure servers for a few more years...
Old 7th August 2023, 15:50   #411  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You'll probably want to turn this off [when is mainstream implemented in Edge 117],
https://www.neowin.net/news/edge-wan...to-disable-it/
Quote:
Edge wants to take screenshots of every webpage you visit, here is why and how to disable it
Quote:
Recently we covered a feature that could make one think Microsoft can see every picture you view online. Here is another one: an upcoming release will add a toggle enabling Edge to take screenshots of each page you visit. And no, it is not a clickbait-like assumption: Microsoft clearly states it wants to screenshot everything you view online.

Microsoft Edge 117, currently available for testing in the Canary and Dev channels, has a new toggle called "Save screenshots of site for History" with the following description:
Image of settings to turn off
https://cdn.neowin.com/news/images/u...ge_history.jpg

@ FaBB, maybe you find this thingy of interest [Amazon.co.uk, Search IODD ST400]:-
Quote:
IODD ST400 2.5 inch Enclosure / USB-C / Bootable Virtual ODD&HDD / AES256 Encryption Max up to 76 Digits / Write Protect / 2541(ST400/USB-C Type/Next Gen Model)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=IODD+ST400&i=electronics
On Youtube:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSywLblIYa0
Mounts ISO files, and virtual hard drives and VHD files mounted and emulated. [EDIT: ODD = Optical Disk Drive (from ISO file).]
Also see similar devices on amazon, some have slightly different capabilty, and maybe via nvme SSD rather than Sata SSD,

EDIT: Currently suffering with a broken/dislocated ankle, after nearly 2 weeks in hospital with what looked
like a BBC2 aerial attached to my leg via a long screwdriver hammered though my ankle, and a couple of 6 inch nails in my shin, [not as nice as it sounds].

Last edited by StainlessS; 7th August 2023 at 18:07.
Old 7th August 2023, 18:19   #412  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Microsoft clearly states it wants to screenshot everything you view online.
and it's opt-out, not opt-in, which means that it will be enabled by default on millions of devices as soon as the update is rolled out.
I mean, just when we thought telemetry couldn't get any worse, they somehow managed to make it worse...
I'm so glad to be using Firefox (and occasionally Chromium) on Windows 10 Enterprise x64. As far as I'm concerned, they (Microsoft) can keep their new spyware ehm I mean glorified chromium fork ehm I mean browser, I don't need it.
I'm just sad for the "average Joe" who won't suspect a thing and will still be using it with the telemetry option on...

Quote:
@ FaBB, maybe you find this thingy of interest

It actually reminds me of the special HDD we use when we deliver DCP to the theatres. They're encrypted, but not with a puny software like Bitlocker (from Microsoft) but rather with a proper hardware encryption.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CyZJKWYMQsxqqemw9

It seems like yesterday but the picture is actually from November 2021. A lot of time has passed.
This means that I haven't been working on a theatrical release for quite some time now and given how things are going I think this is just gonna be the beginning of a long miserable period for me...
Nowadays I spend more time writing documentation and creating draw.io graphs on Confluence than actually encoding stuff or creating workflows... it saddens my soul...

Quote:
Currently suffering with a broken/dislocated ankle, after nearly 2 weeks in hospital with what looked
like a BBC2 aerial attached to my leg via a long screwdriver hammered though my ankle, and a couple of 6 inch nails in my shin, [not as nice as it sounds].
Oh, that doesn't sound nice at all, it sounds awful!
I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you a swift recovery.

Last edited by FranceBB; 7th August 2023 at 18:21.
Old 7th August 2023, 19:20   #413  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yeh, not nice.
Kinda looked like this [Left Image screwdriver (marked as cancaneal pin, further back) through ankle and right image 6 inch nails in shin] but about 12 inches wide and a bugger to sleep with. [not enough morphine]

Last edited by StainlessS; 7th August 2023 at 22:38.
Old 8th August 2023, 13:21   #414  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Microsoft drops support for dozens of Intel processors in latest Windows 11 system requirements update
https://betanews.com/2023/08/07/micr...ements-update/

I can hear the despair from here.

Seems to be just Xeon processors that are dropped in this round. [Also, Microsoft is disabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in Windows 11... and it will break some apps].

Quote:
The processors that have been removed are as follows:

Intel Xeon E-2104G
Intel Xeon E-2124
Intel Xeon E-2124G
Intel Xeon E-2126G
Intel Xeon E-2134
Intel Xeon E-2136
Intel Xeon E-2144G
Intel Xeon E-2146G
Intel Xeon E-2174G
Intel Xeon E-2176G
Intel Xeon E-2176M
Intel Xeon E-2186G
Intel Xeon E-2186M
Intel Xeon E-2224
Intel Xeon E-2224G
Intel Xeon E-2226G
Intel Xeon E-2226GE
Intel Xeon E-2234
Intel Xeon E-2236
Intel Xeon E-2244G
Intel Xeon E-2246G
Intel Xeon E-2254ME
Intel Xeon E-2254ML
Intel Xeon E-2274G
Intel Xeon E-2276G
Intel Xeon E-2276M
Intel Xeon E-2276ME
Intel Xeon E-2276ML
Intel Xeon E-2278G
Intel Xeon E-2278GE
Intel Xeon E-2278GEL
Intel Xeon E-2286G
Intel Xeon E-2286M
Intel Xeon E-2288G
Intel Xeon E-2314
Intel Xeon E-2324G
Intel Xeon E-2334
Intel Xeon E-2336
Intel Xeon E-2356G
Intel Xeon E-2374G
Intel Xeon E-2378
Intel Xeon E-2378G
Intel Xeon E-2386G
Intel Xeon E-2388G

The full list of supported Intel processors can be seen here:- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tel-processors
EDIT:
Quote:
Intel's GPU Drivers Now Collect Telemetry, Including 'How You Use Your Computer'
The data collection feature is enabled by default, but you can disable it during installation.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/i...-your-computer

Quote:
When Intel joined the discrete GPU market almost a year ago, everyone wondered when it would catch up with Nvidia and AMD. As of August 2023, it apparently has, at least in one respect; like its competitors, Intel has introduced a telemetry collection service by default in the latest beta driver for its Arc GPUs. You can opt out of it, but we all know most people just click "yes" to everything during a software installation. Intel's release notes for the drivers don't mention this change to how its drivers work, which is a curious omission.

News of Intel adding telemetry collection to its drivers is a significant change to how its GPU drivers work. Intel has even given this new collation routine a cute name—the Intel Computing Improvement Program. Gee, that sounds pretty wonderful. We want to improve our computing, so let's dive into the details briefly. According to TechPowerUp, which discovered the change, Intel has created a landing page for the program that explains what is collected and what isn't. At a high level, it states, "This program uses information about your computer's performance to make product improvements that may benefit you in the future."
Quote:
Though that sounds innocuous, Intel provides a long list of the types of data it collects, many unrelated to your computer's performance. Those include the types of websites you visit, which Intel says are dumped into 30 categories and logged without URLs or information that identifies you, including how long and how often you visit certain types of sites. It also collects information on "how you use your computer" but offers no details. It will also identify "Other devices in your computing environment." Numerous performance-related data points are also captured, such as your CPU model, display resolution, how much memory you have, and, oddly, your laptop's average battery life.

Though this sounds like an egregious overreach regarding the type of data captured, to be fair to Intel, it allows you to opt out of this program. That is apparently not the case with Nvidia, which doesn't even ask for permission at any point during driver installation, according to TechPowerUp. AMD, on the other hand, does give you a choice to opt out like Intel does, regardless of what other options you choose during installation, and even provides an explainer about what it's collecting.
EDIT: No milk left for coffee due to broken ankle, have reconstituted Ribena [blackcurrent juice thingy] in milk carton in fridge and accidentally
used it instead of milk, + some Coffee Mate, ... Not bad really

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th August 2023 at 13:59.
Old 18th September 2023, 09:24   #415  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Microsoft releases update for Edge on Windows 7 and 8:- https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...ndows-7-and-8/
Quote:
It is worth noting that Microsoft will soon stop releasing even those rare security updates. M109 down-level extended support for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Server 2012 R2 will end on October 20, 2023.
So you need get the update quite soon if you want it. [EDIT: Or maybe I read that wrong]
Quote:
old Windows versions still account for about 4.45% of all PC users.

Also,

Quote:
Behold, the dumbest Windows keyboard shortcut of them all
Ctrl+Win+Alt+Shift+L, a key combination that you probably can't hit with one hand, opens LinkedIn. That's it.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2070...-them-all.html

I could not quite believe that this would work on W10 without any open apps (eg FireFox, Edge), so tried it,
damn, it works! (but just for hardcore LinkedIn fans, not me).

EDIT:
Quote:
LinkedIn, a career-focused social network where people can share their work history and apply for new jobs, has been owned by Microsoft since 2016.
And,
12 simple, secret Windows shortcuts you probably don’t know
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2043...dont-know.html

EDIT: And something sent to me in email from CodeProject, I liked the CodeProject Comment in Blue below so also post here.
Quote:
DeepMind discovers that AI large language models can optimize their own prompts
Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate.
Source: Venture Beat
https://venturebeat.com/business/dee...r-own-prompts/

I get emails from CodeProject (developer type stuff) every day, some of their email comments on articles are really quite amusing [and as above, sometimes terrifying].
https://www.codeproject.com/

EDIT: Also for W11, from CodeProject em,

Quote:
Microsoft is bringing 'OCR' text recognition to Windows 11's Snipping Tool
HapefuHy 1t w1H bO deHar them sone other 0CKs 0u7 there
Source: Windows Central
https://www.windowscentral.com/softw...-snipping-tool
Quote:
As mentioned, these new features are rolling out now in preview for Windows Insiders in the Canary and Dev Channels, and will most likely roll out to everyone in the coming weeks.

Last edited by StainlessS; 18th September 2023 at 17:38.
Old 19th September 2023, 09:03   #416  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

In previous post, "12 simple, secret Windows shortcuts you probably don’t know" link, has ad for
Quote:
Get Windows 11 pro for cheap in pcworld's software store

Windows 11 Pro
Price When Reviewed: 199.99
Best Prices Today: $79.99 at PCWorld Software Store
But, on YouTube Tech Deals channel, [ https://www.youtube.com/@TechDeals ]
they have been doing cheap Windows 10 and Windows 11, and Office, serials for a long time and are still doing them,
and quite a bit cheaper.
I think there is some explanation of where they come from (in one of their MANY videos), IIRC, is
from some Chinese bulk purchaser and sold on to a USA reseller, but they work with GLOBAL [EDIT: International I think] version Win10/Win11 OEM CD too.
Tech Deals just gives link to the USA reseller, and provides a Promo Code to make serial even cheaper, You download the CD ISO from same place as you get the serial.
They've been doing same for years without problems.

From the serials USA reseller that Tech Deals links to, price EXCLUDING Tech Deals Promo Code Discount.
"MS Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-Key GLOBAL-Lifetime = USD 18.47".

"MS Windows 11 Pro OEM CD-Key GLOBAL-Lifetime = USD 26.80".

See a recent video post with details from USA reseller at about 0:40 :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auj-3Y_Byxg
(Above serials intended for custom system builders, without manufacturer [eg HP, Dell] supplied CD/serial)

From the video Description of video linked above, with Tech Deals PROMO CODE making serial even cheaper:::
Quote:
— Vip-urcdkey Discounted Windows 10 / 11 Keys, and More —
Use Promo Code TD20 to save 25% off EVERYTHING —
Win 10 Pro - $15 - https://pcdeal.tv/Win10Pro
Win 11 Pro - $21 - https://pcdeal.tv/Win11Pro
MS Office 2019 Pro - $49 - https://pcdeal.tv/MSOffice2019
MS Office 2021 Pro - $60 - https://pcdeal.tv/MSOffice2021

By the way, the Tech Deals guy on-site is a VERY good speaker and tech guy, and tends to do quite long videos with little
in the way of script or prompts, he just knows his stuff.

One of my favourites from 2019 [recommended watch even today],
SSD Review — 8 NVMe M.2 Drives Tested — Which Should You Buy? — 2019 Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo

They also have a more recent series of 6 episodes on the history of SSD drives [have not yet watched those].

Episode 1, History of Solid State Drives (SSDs) — 2016 to 2022 — Part 1:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJdcK9Wlfs
Do youtube search on "Tech Deals SSD" for others in series.

EDIT: There seems to have been a small increase in USA reseller price since Tech Deals video details [Price change for Sept 01 2023], eg
Win11Pro $23.96 instead of $21.00 [including Tech Deals Promo Code discount].

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th September 2023 at 10:53.
Old 6th October 2023, 09:05   #417  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Spyware Exploit bug found in Open Source webp and libvpx libraries,
Microsoft won’t say if its products were exploited by spyware zero-days:- https://techcrunch.com/2023/10/04/mi...are-zero-days/

Also (from above),
Quote:
Apple rolled out security fixes for iPhones, iPads, Macs and Watches, and acknowledged the bug may have been exploited by unknown hackers.
Apple BugFix (previous similar apple fix in post #409),
for my iPad Mini 4, updates to IOS v15.7.9 via Settings/General/Software Update.
(I think my iPad Mini 4 support expires about this month).

Again, no update for my iPad 4 (non mini), remains multi-bugged on v10.3.3.

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th October 2023 at 09:09.
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:36   #418  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This is outrageous,
Quote:
HP CEO evokes James Bond-style hack via ink cartridges
"Our long-term objective is to make printing a subscription."
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024...ights-viruses/

Quote:
This is something we announced a few years ago that our goal was to reduce the number of what we call unprofitable customers. Because every time a customer buys a printer, it's an investment for us. We're investing [in] that customer, and if this customer doesn’t print enough or doesn’t use our supplies, it’s a bad investment.
Quote:
HP expects customers who already gave it money for a printer to continue paying the company for years. HP customers expect their purchase to pay off in the long term without stipulations on ink branding. If HP can't find a way to make printer customers feel like their purchase is a benefit rather than a commitment to giving HP money regularly, people may eventually stop thinking that HP printers are a worthy investment.
I discovered some years ago that HP added some corrosive substance to cartridge ink, to avoid cartridge being re-used via alternative supplier ink.
The gold/copper tracks on cartridge just disappeared after maybe 6 weeks [ceased to function], and cartridge might still be 3/4 (or more) full with original ink.
Dont ever buy HP printers if you print rarely. [One is tempted to call them 'con-men', b'cos that's exactly what they are]

EDIT: Suggest Canon or Brother [although that article's comments suggest that Brother is now playing same games as HP]
(Although that last Epson stylus I had was brilliant, but you need the one with separate bottled ink refills, which is an expensive printer, rather than expensive ink)

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd January 2024 at 12:50.
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:54   #419  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I've always been with Epson and one time with Canon.
I'm actually glad that I never bought an HP printer at this point.
Old 30th January 2024, 11:37   #420  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Microsoft Graveyard: a new website for tracking dead and soon-to-be-dead Microsoft products

You probably heard about the Killed by Google project, a website where you can find all the apps, products, services, and other things made by Google that later went six feet under. Microsoft, another tech giant (recently passed a $3 trillion market cap), also has plenty of products it no longer supports. And now, you can track all of them on a new unofficial website called Microsoft Graveyard, which was "inspired and heavily influenced" by the Killed by Google project and its Microsoft counterpart.
Killed by Microsoft:- https://killedbymicrosoft.info/

EDIT: This one did not last long
Quote:
Tay

Killed almost 8 years ago, Tay was a chatbot that was shutdown after only 16 hours since it began to post inflammatory and offensive tweets through its Twitter account. It was 1 day old.

Last edited by StainlessS; 30th January 2024 at 11:40.