Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2004, 03:50   #1  |  Link
MrTVideo

Vinyl 78's

I have a number of vinyl 78's but my present player only handles 33's and 45's. Is there a way of taping the 78's at a speed of 33rpm and then correcting the sound via a computer program. I have looked everywhere for a suitable player and will keep on doing so but in the mean time I would like to listen to them.
Old 26th July 2004, 10:29   #2  |  Link
wingnut

Hi there,

I've never tried this but I don't see why you couldn't record it into the PC (using sound forge or similar) at 45rpm then time stretch it to the correct rate. If you've recorded it at 45rpm and it should be 78rpm then if you reduce the time to 98.266% it should be correct.

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Edz
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 07:45   #3  |  Link
MrTVideo

Thanks I will try it and report back
Old 27th July 2004, 13:50   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Sounds like fun...

... I would not mind knowing how things turn out for you myself.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2004, 19:35   #5  |  Link
U-235

I don't think that the normal cartridge/stylus combination intended for playing 33 or 45 rpm records will work very well with old 78 rpm records. The reason for this is that the "new" 33/45 rpm records use a microgroove, and older 78's usually don't. There are cartridges with styli that can play both kinds of records, but I don't know how common they are. More info: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cartridgehistory.htm
U-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 07:24   #6  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

I was about to post a similar warning. If I remember correctly, 78 records demand a special stylus, because the plastic is harder. If you play them on a normal 33/45 turntable, you'll probably trash its needle, but (even worse) you might damage the 78 disk. Take care.
Old 21st October 2004, 07:53   #7  |  Link
MrTVideo

Thanks for your advice it was well received. Just to let everyone know how I went. I purchased an old player at a jumble sale and got a needle to suit(important)then recorded at 33 1/3 in the same software as I used to change the time scale. Settings took a bit of trial and error. but the results after using various filters was very good. You could say I Digitally Mastered It. I now have a cd of my Hammond A Go Go album which is 30 years old if its a day. I am not game yet to try some old HMV single sided ones which go back to the early wind up players. They are about 4mm thick and weigh a ton. So far though success. Only complaint "There aint enough hours in a day".
Old 21st October 2004, 13:08   #8  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by MrTVideo
Only complaint "There aint enough hours in a day".
I wish Wavelab, Sound Forge or any other program had the ability to time stretch days! Not every day mind you but certain ones.

Glad to hear your experiment went well.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2004, 13:32   #9  |  Link
Swede
Deputy

I've missed this thread but I did the same thing some two years ago. Here are two mp3-samples, the first one is the old 78 recorded at 45 and the second is the result of CoolEdits stretch and noisefiltering. I was kind of impressed. And my friends granddad loved his new CD that I made.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote