Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 27th July 2022, 14:01   #1601  |  Link
Atlantis

For sync via other subtitle, is it possible to do every line automatically in the same language? For example you have an English subtitle rapidly done with lots of errors but perfect timecodes and another English subtitles that is correct but not synchronized. Unfortunately sometimes it is not possible to do it with 20-30 points and you have to do as many points as possible but doing 1600 points by hand is hard.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2022, 21:27   #1602  |  Link
Atlantis

We need 2 things.

1- First, access to bookmarks. There is no menu, no icon to access bookmarks. Only if you create shortcuts. We need access by mouse and right clicking on a bookmark doesn't count because sometimes you are not on one.

2- In Remove Text for HI, in found results, when right clicking we need an option of either jumping to that line so we can edit it or adding a bookmark to it so we can edit later.

Last edited by Atlantis; 31st July 2022 at 21:30.
Old 1st August 2022, 23:17   #1603  |  Link
Atlantis

I have major problems with combined words with a -
For example good-looking is OCRed as good. looking

And it's very hard to detect these afterwards. Using nOCR. I don't understand because the line - is long enough not to be confused with . dot.
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:28   #1604  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
For example good-looking is OCRed as good. looking

And it's very hard to detect these afterwards.
I'm surprised that a Words spellcheck doesn't pop-up with these. However, in the "Fix Common Errors" window there is a function called "Start with uppercase letter after period inside paragraph" that should at least detect (not repair, of course) these occasions. You can manually edit the found lines directly in their text-boxes.
It isn't ideal, of course. Preventing during OCR is the way to go.

BTW to run just one of FCE functions, I often find myself wishing for bang-on-ready buttons next to them. Which would instantly run FCE with only that function enabled and without clearing/altering the current selections. IMO FCE-checking in multiple instances often proves valuable.

Maybe when Nikse would be asked kindly? [SMILIE]licking[/SMILIE]
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:08   #1605  |  Link
von Suppé

@Nikse

MPV mediaplayer is able to playback Dolby Vision profile 5 with corrected colors. This specific profile uses a DV proprietary colorspace; on regular players they show purple & green.
To achieve the proper colors, with portable and installed versions it's possible to edit a "mpv.conf" file and alter output driver by adding "vo = gpu-next". Which would trigger libplacebo algorithms kicking in and correct - to an extend - P5 colors.

I've been busy trying to get this to work with latest mpv extracted in SE's roaming folder. I didn't succeed. I don't see any mpv.conf file in SE roaming folder, and adding one didn't help either. Do you know if/where it's possible to edit mpv's output configuration?

At Settings --> Videoplayer, I did notice "--vo=" (greyed out, next to the "Download mpv lib" button). Which is hopeful to see...
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:43   #1606  |  Link
Atlantis

I agree, with Fix Common Errors we need better handling. Saved presets. You have to fix errors in several passes and not all at once.
Having be able to save the selection into different presets helps a lot.

To detect errors, now I do OCR 2 times with 2 different methods. Once Binary Image and once nOCR. Then I compare the 2 results and I catch most of the problems. It gives a 99% accurate OCR at the end but there is still a very small amount that is impossible to detect. They are mostly dots . " :
: goes to ..
". to ...

which bugs me a lot! I have seen already OCRed subtitles that are 100% accurate! Even the dots. I don't know how they do it!
Old 11th August 2022, 21:34   #1607  |  Link
loninapleton

using audio video to text in Subtitle Edit

Have others actively used the audio/video to text for projects Subtitle Edit?
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2022, 23:56   #1608  |  Link
Atlantis

I don't even understand your question!
Old 13th August 2022, 10:05   #1609  |  Link
von Suppé

Me too. Maybe loninapleton is referring to something like speech-recognition (something similar to OCR, but then for sound)?
Old 13th August 2022, 10:12   #1610  |  Link
mhe

Is it possible to get text centered on the screen but aligned left, so if there is two lines they are aligned left.
This is a common way to subtitle in sweden i have noticed, and i like it, because that's how you read virtually everything other than subtitles.

Example:
https://imgur.com/SOsdbQr
Attached Images

Last edited by mhe; 15th August 2022 at 11:41. Reason: img link fix
mhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 11:29   #1611  |  Link
von Suppé

I know it's possible when exporting as image-based formats like SUP, XML/PNG and other.
In the export window you can set "Align" to "Center, left justify" for all or dialogue.

Last edited by von Suppé; 13th August 2022 at 11:36.
Old 14th August 2022, 07:06   #1612  |  Link
mhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I know it's possible when exporting as image-based formats like SUP, XML/PNG and other.
In the export window you can set "Align" to "Center, left justify" for all or dialogue.
I see, that's too bad, i don't think I'm ready to start using image subtitles.

On a completely different note, i try to use "adjust durations" via recalculate with batch convert, but every time it forgets that i ticked it, is it a bug or by design?
Also, there seems to be no way to do that from CLI either, so no great way to really automate a general purpose cleanup and adjust durations, unless I'm missing something.
I basically just want to run a command and have otherwise workable subtitles get slightly better, especially adding some time to subtitles if there is room for it.
Old 14th August 2022, 21:03   #1613  |  Link
Atlantis

Alignment tags are definitely possible in text based srt subtitles.

Top-left: {\an7} Top-center: {\an8} Top-right: {\an9}
Middle-left: {\an4} Middle-center: {\an5} Middle-right: {\an6}
Bottom-left: {\an1} Bottom-right: {\an3}
Old 15th August 2022, 06:15   #1614  |  Link
mhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Alignment tags are definitely possible in text based srt subtitles.

Top-left: {\an7} Top-center: {\an8} Top-right: {\an9}
Middle-left: {\an4} Middle-center: {\an5} Middle-right: {\an6}
Bottom-left: {\an1} Bottom-right: {\an3}
That's not what i meant, look at the screenshot, the text as a block is centered, but if there are multiple lines each line starts from the same position, left aligned.
Old 15th August 2022, 09:12   #1615  |  Link
von Suppé

For simple textbased subs I doubt if it could be done. Even if, I reckon not all players are compatible.
Have you explored the possibilities of ASS format?
Old 15th August 2022, 10:03   #1616  |  Link
mhe

I know you can put text on certain coordinates with ASS, i think that would work badly with different resolutions.
The more i think of it, this would probably be best to have as a setting in the subtitle filter of the player.
Turns out someone else asked the same question on stackexchange
https://video.stackexchange.com/ques...nd-inner-level
Old 15th August 2022, 10:08   #1617  |  Link
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe View Post
That's not what i meant, look at the screenshot, the text as a block is centered, but if there are multiple lines each line starts from the same position, left aligned.
As you can see yourself it says Attachments Pending Approval. We cannot see your screenshot to understand. You have to provide a proper link and screenshot that is outside of the forum.
Old 16th August 2022, 14:53   #1618  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe View Post
I know you can put text on certain coordinates with ASS, i think that would work badly with different resolutions.
The more i think of it, this would probably be best to have as a setting in the subtitle filter of the player.
Screensize is metadata that's carried in the ASS file.
If left/right justifying would be possible in the format, it's worth it to give it a try. Maybe your player is "ASS metadata aware" and smart enough to scale size and positioning coordinates according to the set output resolution.

I would sooner doubt if there's a player with the ability to justify plain text. But, never say never.
Old 18th August 2022, 07:52   #1619  |  Link
mhe

I looked through the spec of ASS and fiddled around with subtitle edit, don't think this exist at all. You can place any individual line anywhere on screen, but you can't get a two line subtitle to be both center bottom and within it's own block be left aligned.
Even if you break out a double line entry into singles, then try to align them with ASS position feature, they will be aligned differently if they are of different lengths, because they use the center of that text as the positioning point, so you would have to manually offset that, fun times.
That would be an insane way to solve it anyway, it's not that important to me.
Old 18th August 2022, 12:52   #1620  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Subtitle OCR badly needs to split screen at least in two parts to properly recognize contemporary subtitles with different timings on upper and lower part.

It's a must for proper anime subtitles.