Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 28th November 2023, 12:59   #161  |  Link
von Suppé

Use MakeMKV. It's free while in beta
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2023, 15:34   #162  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Use MakeMKV. It's free while in beta
I hope, I read something about a code to find on the forum.

Anyway I have created the big mkv and then put it into BD3D2MK3D.
It seems OK : video and audio in DTS HD Master audio displayed on my amplifier.
So it means that except it takes more time MakeMKV + BD3D2MK3D can always do the job with no limitation at all?

I will try another one with subtitles...

By the way I watched Turbo with subtitles yesterday (ISO==>BD3D2MK3D==>mkv SBS) and many times I found issues with the 3D of these subtitles ==> it "destroyed" my eyes when it happened.

Last edited by thxoptimizer; 28th November 2023 at 15:42.
thxoptimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 15:18   #163  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D is not a ripper. It's a converter to create a 3D MKV playable with most hardware or software players. So, indeed, you need another tool to remove the protection of your original, protected BD3D. AnyDVD and MakeMKV are good solutions, but as you know, AnyDVD is not free. I don't know if VLC can do the job.

MakeMKV doesn't convert the original format. It encapsulates it only in a MKV container. The 3D BD format is rather complex, with 2 video streams encoded differently. The AVC stream is just like the video stream of a 2D BD, and can be played with almost all players, but in 2D only. The MVC stream is used to encode the stream for the other eye. It is much more difficult to decode, because it requires to decode also the AVC stream, at the same time. For that reason, only a few players can decode the AVC+MVC format. The MKV files created by MakeMKV contains the AVC and MVC streams, unmodified (but unencrypted), and are therefore very difficult to play. Also, since the streams are just copied, without re-encoding, in a MKV container, they use the same disc space than in the original BD.

In the other hand, the MKV files produced by BD3D2MK3D are encoded in universally recognised formats, such as Half-SBS. And, since the video has to be re-encoded, you can specify the quality or file size you want.

Of course, if you have a 3D player that can play the AVC+MVC MKV and you don't care about disc space, use MakeMKV, as you will keep the original quality. But it's a very, very rare situation, and most users need to encode in SBS or TAB format. Hence the usefulness of BD3D2MK3D. :-)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 15:26   #164  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The 3D subtitles are also complex, as they are stored in the original BD in a format impossible to put in a MKV container. It's why BD3D2MK3D has an option to convert them to 3D. Be sure to enable that option (in tab 2) and to display the 3D subtitles properly with your player. If your player doesn't support them or display them incorrectly, I recommend to hardcode (aka burn) them on the video. See that option in the last tab. Burned 3D subtitles are always displayed correctly, regardless of the player, but of course, they cannot be turned off.
Old 29th November 2023, 16:26   #165  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
MakeMKV doesn't convert the original format...
OK for that.
What I don't understand is why the mkv generated by MAKEMKV doens't have any copy protection as BD3D2MK3D is able to process it for the final SBS mkv?
Old 29th November 2023, 16:31   #166  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Quote:
The 3D subtitles are also complex (...) It's why BD3D2MK3D has an option to convert them to 3D(...) in tab 2

https://ibb.co/QfYCRmL
I am not sur to know what to configure (what should I do in such case, cf screenshot)?

Quote:
If your player doesn't support them or display them incorrectly, I recommend to hardcode (aka burn) them on the video.
OK for that; I will always prepare my mkv like that in order to avoid any problem.
Old 30th November 2023, 10:08   #167  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

MakeMKV is a ripper, like other similar programs. It creates a MKV instead of an ISO, but it's the only difference. Personally, I don't want to add the decryption in BD3D2MK3D (and in PgcEdit) for legal reasons.
Old 30th November 2023, 10:29   #168  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxoptimizer View Post

https://ibb.co/QfYCRmL
I am not sur to know what to configure (what should I do in such case, cf screenshot)
3D only, like in the screenshot, is OK, as you will be sure that the subtitles you will select during the playback are in 3D. However, usually, I recommend to add also the 2D subtitles, often necessary if the player cannot display correctly the 3D subtitles. In that case, the 2D subtitles are better than nothing, although they are extremely unpleasant to watch, and are even a torture for the brain.

The problem is that there are two ways to display the subtitles on a SBS movie. The combined, side by side views must be split (and resized) to be displayed separately to the two eyes. The 3D subtles made by BD3D2MK3D must be processed the same.way. In other words, they must be displayed over the SBS images, before the split. In the other hand, the 2D subtles must be displayed identically over the two views, after the split. Not all players can do the two methods, and it's why using the 2D and 3D subtitles can be a good idea.

Unless, of course, you burn the 3D subtitles to the video with BD3D2MK3D. It's similar to the first method of displaying them before the split, except that the player has nothing to do, and you can be sure that the subtitles will be shown with the correct 3D depth.

Note that, if you burn the subtitles, you don't have to enable them in tab 2.

Last edited by r0lZ; 30th November 2023 at 10:32.
Old 30th November 2023, 11:19   #169  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Quote:
Note that, if you burn the subtitles, you don't have to enable them in tab 2.
I had understood everything so far ^^
If I burn the subtitles (tab 4), I have to choose them anyway in tab2 so I am confused...
You mean I dont' have to select the "default" radio button?
Old 30th November 2023, 13:06   #170  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
If I burn the subtitles (tab 4), I have to choose them anyway in tab2 so I am confused...
No, as I wrote above, you don't need to select the subtitles in tab 2 if you burn them. When you burn a subtitle stream, it doesn't make sense to add other subtitles with tab 2, as they will be displayed over the burned subtitles, and they will be difficult to read. However, it is possible to burn a stream AND select one or several other streams in tab 2, as some users want to be able to display also, for example, the subtitles for the director comments. But that requires some knowledge, as it will be vecessary to change the location of the second stream, so that it will not be mixed with the burned subtitles. So, in most cases, you have to chose to burn a single stream (and ignore tab 2) or to select one or several streams in tab 2, and ignore the option to burn a stream.

Quote:
You mean I dont' have to select the "default" radio button?
The Default option is useful only if you don't burn a stream, AND you select several streams in tab 2. The stream marked as default will be the first subtitle stream in the MKV, and will be tagged as default. Most players will select that stream automatically, and you will not have to enable it manually. Again, like all other subtitle related options in tab 2, that option is useless if you burn a stream, as the burned stream will be displayed anyway, and cannot be removed.

So, to keep things simple, if you use the hardcode option, do not enable any subtitle stream in tab 2, and pay attention to the audio stream(s) only.

Note that the Default option is useful also if you include several AUDIO streams in tab 2. It is necessary to tell the player what audio stream you want by default.

Last edited by r0lZ; 30th November 2023 at 13:16.
Old 30th November 2023, 14:28   #171  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Understood
Old 11th December 2023, 12:05   #172  |  Link
BD3D

First of all heavy thanks to r0IZ for your tool and keeping 3D-video alive.

I have a huge collection of 3D-BR and would like to recode them to save space but I want to keep the best quality.
This leads to my question: After ripping the disks mit MAKEMKV can I recode them with BD3D keeping the same 3D-FullHD-picture an being able to view them on my FullHD-3D-TV and beamer? Which is the "correct" format I have to use with BD3D2MK3D?

Thanks a lot for helping
BD3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2023, 12:55   #173  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the thanks!

To keep the full HD format, use Full-SBS or Full-T&B. Just be sure to untick the Half- option in the last tab.

The picture quality is also determined by other settings. The most important one is the CRF value. The lower the best. CRF 0 is lossless, but the file size is terrible, larger than the size of the two original video tracks together. The default 23 compresses very much, and you may prefer to lower that value. IMO, it is useless to use a CRF value less than 15, and personally, I use 18 only when the quality is very important.

You may also want to try to encode with x265. It compresses much more for the same video quality, but it is very slow and the HEVC video it produces is much more difficult to decode, and is not supported by pre-Ultra-HD hardware players. Its default CRF value is 28.

Anyway, I suggest to do a quick test to check if your TV supports the encoding format and its settings, and if you like the quality. If you don't have a small clip to test, you can lower the number of frames to encode in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file.

Have fun with your 3D movies!
Old 6th January 2024, 13:59   #174  |  Link
Enet47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3D View Post
First of all heavy thanks to r0IZ for your tool and keeping 3D-video alive.

I have a huge collection of 3D-BR and would like to recode them to save space but I want to keep the best quality.
This leads to my question: After ripping the disks mit MAKEMKV can I recode them with BD3D keeping the same 3D-FullHD-picture an being able to view them on my FullHD-3D-TV and beamer? Which is the "correct" format I have to use with BD3D2MK3D?

Thanks a lot for helping
Following on from @R0lZ's comments I have done exactly what you are asking and ended up not having to upgrade my disc storage after saving Terrabytes of discs space. After literally encoding dozens of discs here are some thoughts.

- H265 does rip to even smaller sizes than the equivalent H264 setting. But it does take much, much longer than H264 to encode the same file at similar settings.

- H265 is not exactly the same quality because of macro-blocking in low light scenes. It doesn't affect most movies but there are some where you will notice it, especially on a large screen.

- Because of the above points, I reverted back to using H264.

- Depending on your quality acceptance I found that a minimum saving of 10GB per file works well. On average I save around 15GB per movie. Some movies can go well beyond this saving around 20GB on a 30GB file.

- For the more tricky movies or where I want the absolute best quality then 10GB (or less) works well. It's probably wasting a few GB but on average you will save more than enough per movie for it not to be an issue.

- Before you ask. If you are using CRF (which you should) I don't know of anyway to specify how much you save. But around CRF 18-22 is a decent range depending on the options you choose. Although for some movies I have gone as low as CRF 16. Others I had added extra command line options or changed the tuning.

HtH

Last edited by Enet47; 8th January 2024 at 18:00.
Enet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 19:48   #175  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Hi,

I have issues with 2 movies in ISO (not really from my own physical disc...).

BD3D2MK3D
Code:
*** Done. AviSynth script and batch files generated.
Done with errors!
* DTS-HD stream (track 3): bad frame detected at position00:00:01,151. Resync stream.
(...)
* Warning: The AVC and MVC video streams do not have the same number of frames: 25117 and 25390.  That means that the two streams are probably not synchronised properly, and that encoding this playlist to SBS or T&B may fail.
The script will be generated anyway.
Launch "__ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd" to encode the 3D video (and optionally mux to MKV).
(BD3D2MK3D) 1 %
But it's not only BD3D2MK3D to be honnest :
VLC seems to start movie and 2s after (even if I have Java on my computer) :
Code:
Java required:
This Blu-ray disc requires Java for menus support.Java was not found on your system.
MAKEMKV
a lot of errors also in the logs (udf: node fe/efe failed! orThe source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts'is corrupted or invalid in offset 118265856), no MKV generated

==>I suppose I can't do anything with that and I have just to send it to trash

Last edited by thxoptimizer; 8th January 2024 at 13:44.
Old 8th January 2024, 13:44   #176  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
MAKEMKV
a lot of errors also in the logs (udf: node fe/efe failed! orThe source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts'is corrupted or invalid in offset 118265856), no MKV generated
Did you try to make a full disc backup with MakeMKV and import this in BD3D2MK3D?
Old 9th January 2024, 11:08   #177  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Did you try to make a full disc backup with MakeMKV and import this in BD3D2MK3D?
That's what I said :
Quote:
Old 9th January 2024, 12:36   #178  |  Link
von Suppé

I doubted because of the "no mkv generated".

Probably you have a bad or dirty disc. Try cleaning it and rip again.
Old 18th January 2024, 19:37   #179  |  Link
thxoptimizer

FIFA 20210 (Blu-Ray) ==> MAKEMKV (if I read with VLC, no subtitle displayed) ==> BD3D2MK3D :

(it seems I cannot post image... it says that 1280x720 is an exotic resoltion to summurize)

1) nevermind for the subtitles, I can choose my langage
2) even before converting with BD3D2MK3D the subtiles are not working on initial MKV created with MAKEMKV

Result on Quest3 / Skybox : the reading of this movie is the only one to be jerky.

Last edited by thxoptimizer; 22nd January 2024 at 20:56.