Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th March 2014, 21:22   #25201  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
I'm having a problem getting XySubFilter to load with MadVR when ffdshow raw video filter is enabled. Works fine without ffdshow in the stream.
As madshi said this seems to be XySubFilter related, but I happen to recall having a similar issue with ffdshow which could be solved by going to the ffdshow options, then "Subtitles" and then disable everything under "Subtitle sources", in particular "Embedded subtitles". If that doesn't work you should try asking in the XySubFilter thread.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 21:56   #25202  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/
Doesn't matter right now. It(dx12) will ship in late 2015, most probably with win9 (it's usually 3 years between major win releases).
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 23:38   #25203  |  Link
clsid

With regard to the external DVD subtitle problem, the behavior that I have observed is:
A subtitle that has to be displayed at time X is not displayed when video is at position X but when playback has been active for X amount of time. Seeking has no effect at all.
Old 21st March 2014, 00:53   #25204  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delerue View Post
1- open a dvd (disc or folder) with mpc-hc;
2- drag a .srt file to mpc-hc window;
result: Subtitles are blinking fast and the timing is wrong;

this problem doesn't happen with vmr9 renderless, for example.

Can anyone confirm this?

Seven x64 with gtx 650 ti @332.21 and mpc-hc (20/03/2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
yes, also on my computer subtitles are blinking when playing dvd with external subtitles.
I guess madvr doesn't like dvd navigator filter which replaces lav splitter when playing from dvd.

Windows 8.1, intel hd4600, latest mpc-hc & madvr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
which subtitle renderer are you using? Is smooth motion frc on/off? If it's on, does the problem go away if you turn it off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
with regard to the external dvd subtitle problem, the behavior that i have observed is:
A subtitle that has to be displayed at time x is not displayed when video is at position x but when playback has been active for x amount of time. Seeking has no effect at all.
This in know problem with ISR and madVR and how they handle subtitles for DVD or timing in fact. And I totally forgot about it being that I don't watch DVD that much anymore and never with external subtitles

This build should resolve this issue https://www.dropbox.com/s/kifqfx7li1w75az/MPC-HC.1.7.3.119.x86_ISR_DVD_TIMING_FIX.7z I noticed few other (very) minor issues, but I will deal with them later.

Also could we move discussion about MPC-HC to its own thread?
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 01:48   #25205  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Hi madshi,
A rather annoying cosmetic change has occured between builds 0.87.4 and 0.87.5.
I'm using the vanilla MPC-HC standalone VSfilter v1.7.3 here
In 0.87.4 and all previous versions of madVR (and all the other video renderers), switching the subtitles language while a video is playing "froze" the image for an extremely small amount of time and subs started appearing.
In 0.87.5 and newer, switching the subtitle language while a video is playing has madVR display a black screen (!), then the image comes back with the newly selected subs.
From the changelog between 0.87.4 and 0.87.5, I believe the change responsible for this behavior could be the following?
*exclusive > windowed switch now shows a black frame instead of an old one
Is it possible to revert this change or don't have it active when VSfilter is used?
Old 21st March 2014, 04:26   #25206  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
This in know problem with ISR and madVR and how they handle subtitles for DVD or timing in fact. And I totally forgot about it being that I don't watch DVD that much anymore and never with external subtitles

This build should resolve this issue https://www.dropbox.com/s/kifqfx7li1w75az/MPC-HC.1.7.3.119.x86_ISR_DVD_TIMING_FIX.7z I noticed few other (very) minor issues, but I will deal with them later.
Great! It seems perfect to me now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Also could we move discussion about MPC-HC to its own thread?
For sure. I thought it was a madVR problem since it doesn't happen with other renders but madVR. Sorry.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 08:54   #25207  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
As madshi said this seems to be XySubFilter related, but I happen to recall having a similar issue with ffdshow which could be solved by going to the ffdshow options, then "Subtitles" and then disable everything under "Subtitle sources", in particular "Embedded subtitles". If that doesn't work you should try asking in the XySubFilter thread.
That worked! So simple yet I overlooked it. Especially so as I had to do a similar thing to disable ffdshow interlacing (set it to "Bypass")

Unfortunately I have hosed ffdshow by updating to the latest 'tryout' figuring it might help. Going back to the previous build left me with issues concerning frame rate (30fps produces a hung image yet status (and audio) tells me it's playing..oh well..something to do Thanks again

Edit: Back in the saddle..yippie!

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 21st March 2014 at 20:51.
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 19:34   #25208  |  Link
flashmozzg

to madshi: another parallel random number implementation. I know, you've already found one and I don't know how this will perform or if it evenapplicable, just posting it here for info.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjRNi8nCQAASTcj.jpg:large
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 21:37   #25209  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
That doesn't look like it will give a uniform random number at all, especially when s_uRandSeed is small, and when s_uRandSeed is too large s_uRand won't have enough significant bits. As far as I know the random number generator that MadVR uses is faster and more reliable.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 21:41   #25210  |  Link
skypichat

3DTV NVidia 3D activated and Default settings of madVR

Hello, I have a problem with the full screen mode of madvr.
The default settings deactivate AERO in Windows 7 and my TV say that:

If I deactivate these settings in madVR, I don't get the problem.

I use madVR plugin of MeediOS.
Thank you for this best player. I use it every day

Last edited by skypichat; 21st March 2014 at 21:46.
skypichat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 22:38   #25211  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Please use thumbnails.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 23:32   #25212  |  Link
e-t172

So, regarding my frame drop issues, I have grave news.

I swapped my PSU/motherboard/CPU/RAM and that made no difference. A friend just told me that he got himself a shiny new 780 Ti (so same GPU as mine but the card is from a different manufacturer) so I jumped on the opportunity and asked him to test for this problem. Turns out he had just installed Windows 8 so he had a clean, fresh system to do the testing.

He has *exactly* the same issue, namely frame drops every 10-30 minutes or so (with latest NVidia drivers, madVR defaults except smooth motion on).

This tends to indicate that every single 780 Ti out there has this frame drop problem. IF YOU ARE USING A 780 TI WITH MADVR, PLEASE MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN. Your input would be highly valuable.

This clearly smells like a pure driver issue that has not been fixed by NVidia yet and is affecting most if not all 780 Ti users. Tomorrow I'm going to dig in further and test every single NVidia driver version since the 780 Ti came out (331.93). I highly doubt this will reveal anything since I've already thoroughly tested 321.10 and it has the exact same issue, but one never knows. Does anyone know what would be the most efficient way of reporting this to NVidia?

In addition, it would be interesting if people with closely related GPUs (such as 780, 770, Titan etc.) could comment on whether they are able to achieve long zero-frame-drop playback (as shown in the stats) with madVR and smooth motion on.

Last edited by e-t172; 21st March 2014 at 23:54.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 00:03   #25213  |  Link
scollaco

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere...does Nvidia's edge enhancement feature work with madVR. From what I did as a quick test it didn't. Once I switched to EVR it did. Is this a known thing. Sorry if the question is silly.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 00:12   #25214  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere...does Nvidia's edge enhancement feature work with madVR. From what I did as a quick test it didn't. Once I switched to EVR it did. Is this a known thing. Sorry if the question is silly.
It does not. madVR intentionally by-passes all GPU processing algorithms.
Old 22nd March 2014, 01:35   #25215  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
In addition, it would be interesting if people with closely related GPUs (such as 780, 770, Titan etc.) could comment on whether they are able to achieve long zero-frame-drop playback (as shown in the stats) with madVR and smooth motion on.
I will need to retest with the newest madVR but I have used madVR + smooth motion on my Titan for nearly a year now. I usually see 0 frame drops and repeats even after a long movie.

However, I have never been able to use smooth motion + fade detecting de-banding without reported frame drops. I always use debanding with both set to low to avoid fade detection.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:01   #25216  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypichat View Post
Hello, I have a problem with the full screen mode of madvr.
The default settings deactivate AERO in Windows 7 and my TV say that:
If I deactivate these settings in madVR, I don't get the problem.

I use madVR plugin of MeediOS.
Thank you for this best player. I use it every day
madvr doesn't support 3d yet. and if i see this right your tv doesn't support 3d at 60 hz.
Quote:
The default settings deactivate AERO in Windows 7 and my TV say
madvr doesn't disable aero with default settings.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 03:12   #25217  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I will need to retest with the newest madVR but I have used madVR + smooth motion on my Titan for nearly a year now. I usually see 0 frame drops and repeats even after a long movie.

However, I have never been able to use smooth motion + fade detecting de-banding without reported frame drops. I always use debanding with both set to low to avoid fade detection.
proud titan owner here, mind you its vbios modded aka boost 2.0 crap disabled , at a healthy boost setting of 1175 mhz on the gpu and a 3500 mhz on the ram at a power boost of 1.21v, with performance set to adaptive in the driver profile so it dont have no dreaded sudden performance drops like the horrible boost 2.0 does wich messed up fps like all hell

so ive noticed dropped frames or stuttering while using NNEDI3 from 16 up to 64 for chroma upscaling but 0 frame drops or stuttering with jinc3ar for chroma upscaling and NNEDI3 image doubling set to 64 for luma doubling and quadruppling and 16 for chroma doubling and quadruppling all set to always enabled , with Error diffusion option 1 and debanding at low and fade in fade out at high and the source was a 1080p/30fps video but does the same on lesser content aka 720p/30 and so on , mind you this

was on the older working opencl drivers aka 314.22 , as the current ones dont support NNEDI3 at all and logically not image doubling as well, hope we can see some improvement in that opencl performance department with fixed drivers , still no news i suppose

Last edited by sexus; 22nd March 2014 at 03:46.
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 03:16   #25218  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Anyone know what API madVR uses to increase the clock resolution? That is, decrease the timer interval from 1.000 ms to 0.500 ms.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 04:10   #25219  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

I should have tested again before posting, I see no dropped frames even with smooth motion and debanding with fade detection.

edit: madVR v87.7, NNEDI3 64 neuron chroma, Jinc3 AR image, no doubling, smooth motion on, debanding low/high, ED2, no trade quality for performance. 1080p24 (bluray) -> 2560x1440 @ 75 Hz. Nvidia drivers 327.23

Last edited by Asmodian; 22nd March 2014 at 05:10.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 04:15   #25220  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
Anyone know what API madVR uses to increase the clock resolution?
NtSetTimerResolution()
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling