Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 16th June 2011, 19:50   #1  |  Link
aether

DVD conversion/authoring?

Hi again, I have been thinking about something lately, I have read alot about people converting their DVDs to other formats to save space. What format would be the best to convert to without loosing too much quality and would it still be able to play on a DVD player? Basically what I wan't to do is make a DVD-R with 2 or 3 movies on it, is this possible and is there any freeware that will allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance.

aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 03:12   #2  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether View Post
What format would be the best to convert to without loosing too much quality and would it still be able to play on a DVD player?
If all your standalone DVD player supports is DVD video, you can't convert to anything else. Some support XviD or DivX AVI. If yours does, you can create AVIs for your player. A lot of Media Players, ones such as the WD TV-Live Plus, support all kinds of formats.

As for sticking 2 or 3 movies on a DVDR, I wouldn't recommend that for DVD video. For AVI or others such as MP4, sure. But, again, you have to have something that can play them.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 08:34   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Those people have more time than space, obviously.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:04   #4  |  Link
aether

I guess it would be best to stick to the original ISO files and DVD shrink then, thanks guys.
Old 17th June 2011, 20:41   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Those people have more time than space, obviously.
My PC converted three DVDs tonight while I was at work, so time hardly even factored into it. Convenience and portability play a bigger part.

aether,
If you've got a lot of DVDs to convert you might want to consider investing in a new DVD player which plays AVIs. They're pretty cheap these days and pretty much all of them will.
Or if you want to future proof yourself a little more maybe invest in a Bluray player which plays MKV and MP4 video files. The second would be the better option because (without going into the details now) you can convert to a format which loses very little quality while being able to burn 2, 3 or 4 movies to a blank DVD disc, or over a dozen on a blank Bluray disc.

Either way, there's plenty of free programs which will do the converting for you.

PS How old is your DVD player? It might be capable of playing AVIs and you don't even realise. Does it have anything like mpeg4 or DivX in it's list of supported video types?

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th June 2011 at 20:45.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 22:36   #6  |  Link
aether

It's an old one, it won't be able to play it lol actually I don't even use it anymore the main reason I'm asking is because most of the DVDs I had were either damaged or never returned when I lent them to friends a while back, so if someone wants to borrow a few movies I could just burn a few on a DVDr and I dont have to worry about it.
Old 18th June 2011, 02:25   #7  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether View Post
...so if someone wants to borrow a few movies I could just burn a few on a DVDr and I dont have to worry about it.
That's if the original retail DVDs are on DVD5s, which most aren't. Most retail DVDs are on the larger capacity DVD9s. To be able to burn them to DVD5 you'd have to shrink them one way or another.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authoring, conversion, dvd