Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 2nd April 2014, 17:25   #1  |  Link
asm

Raw player for LG Optimus 3D

Hi, I've been checking the forum quite lately but never posted before, I've read the rules and watch the forum and I think this is the most apropriate place to post, so here's my question.

I'd like to watch raw video files such as .yuv in the LG Optimus 3D.
I am avoiding to compress it because this file is already uncompressed and I don't want to degrade it more. Is there any player for android that could do that? And if it exists could it provide the option of 3D video?.

I think I know the answer but anyway there's no harm in asking.

Thank you
asm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:56   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

No smart phone is able to decode .YUV video in hardware or software at any resolution.

I doubt there's even an 'app' that can transcode a .YUV source
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:22   #3  |  Link
asm

Yes I know the smartphone won't decode, I mean I do have the files already decoded inserted in the memory of the phone and I want some app that could possibly play them.

What I really want to do in fact is to take an mvc file into the smartphone and play it. But since there is no player that can decode mvc files or display 'em correctly I am decoding first in my computer then trying to watch them in the LG.

I know there are ways of taking this yuv into a container but this ways always imply a process of compression I don't want.

So there's nothin I can do right?

Thanks for the answer though.
Old 4th April 2014, 00:04   #4  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

This is a backwards way of looking at it; YUV files are obnoxiously huge, an uncompressed 1080p 3D movie is roughly a terabyte. Even losslessly compressed, it's at least half that. Since the Optimus can only use built-in codecs anyway, instead of VLC, you're stuck with VP8, MPEG4 SP, or MPEG4 AVC Baseline.

You'll just have to convert lossy to side-by-side via a process like this guide, it's the only way to get the Optimus to play them until VLC gets support for 3D. You can always use very fast, very-high-bitrate options for a quicker conversion, and on a phone with only 800x480 screen you certainly don't have to have full size video. (Make sure you resize as part of the conversion process.)

To do it any other way, you'd have to find or write a 3rd party 3D video player for Android, and as far as I know they don't exist.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 09:29   #5  |  Link
asm

Ok, thank you anyways. I think I found a way of avoiding losses in the process from yuv to mp4. As I say thank you again.

Tags
3dvideo, raw, yuv