Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 13th February 2012, 06:50   #1  |  Link
s_i

Ambigous behaviour shown by the dvd when played in two different dvd-players

I created a dvd using Scenarist. The dvd contains one vts with only one language unit which has many menus and only one title track. The pgc containing title has pre-command where it jumps to the first play pgc and the first play pgc goes to the root menu of the vts. Hence, there is no way to play title track. When I played this dvd in one of the players it directly started playing the title track while in other players it worked as desired by not playing the title track and jumping to first pgc directly and playing the menus. I am confused why this kind of behaviour appeared in the earlier player(playing the title track)? Is it that some of the players do not read the pre commands for the title track pgc? What can be the reason? I dont want the title to be played.
s_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 09:02   #2  |  Link
srfscenar

As ar as I know there are many dvd players, especialy the cheap ones and not good brands, that do not follow the DVD specs by letter. So, my guess the problem is there. Your commands are correct. What player shows the problem?
Old 13th February 2012, 09:26   #3  |  Link
s_i

The player which behaved differently is of some local brand(one of the cheap kinds). Is there a way by which it can also play the dvd the same way as others do by adding some commands or anything else?
Old 13th February 2012, 09:39   #4  |  Link
srfscenar

Well, I don't think there are any simpler commands than the ones you used.
Maybe you should try using GPRM values and check again.
Just to be sure.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:09   #5  |  Link
s_i

ok thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 10:53   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

What a strange solution you found NOT to play the main title.
Just put the jump to VTS menu command in the Firstplay, and there select the main title from that menu.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:29   #7  |  Link
s_i

@Ghitulescu: I am doing that only but still that dvd-player starts playing the title track. So to avoid that I also placed the pre-commands but even then the title gets played when the dvd is inserted. Seems like all the pre-commands are ignored by the dvd-player. It is a very strange behavior!
Old 13th February 2012, 13:52   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

srfscenar mentioned it, I need to add that some cheap brands have sometimes a mode in which the user can pick up an individual title to play. Maybe this is activated somehow.
Could you also post some screen-shots of say pgcedit and corresponding firstplay, vts menu and title commands?
Old 13th February 2012, 21:11   #9  |  Link
rik1138

Why do you have a title that you don't want played?

If this player is just trying to play the first title on the disc, and is ignoring your commands, make that title a 1-second piece of black, and put post commands on it that are identical to the pre commands... If you are deliberately jumping to the title, and the player is ignoring the pre-commands and playing it anyway, you can try the same thing... (Again, I'm not sure why you have a title you don't want played... If it's just because you need some commands executed, there's probably other ways to do it...)
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first play pgc, pre-commands, scenarist, title track