Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th March 2010, 20:24   #1  |  Link
nj2010

newbie trying to resize hd video down to a smaller, specific size with Avidemux

Hello Guys,

Iím new to the forum. I am a web designer who built a site that has a flash video player. I created the player myself in flash/actionscript. The video player supports loading HD videos (mp4 and H264 supported).

Due to space limitations on this specific site, the videos must be a size of 590 x 250. ( im not offering a full screen button )

I just picked up one of those compact cameras that shoot HD video: Below are the 2 choices that it will shoot video in:

AVCHD Format:
VIDEO: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 1920 X 1080/60i or 1440x1080/60i
AUDIO: DOLBY DIGITL 2 CH.
-----------------------------------------------------------

MP4 Format:
VIDEO: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 1440 x 1080/30
AUDIO: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2CH

I plan to shoot 1-2 minute short HD video clips and then I plan to stream them thru the player.

What I need to do is take the HD video and resize it to 590x250 using avidemux but I do not want to lose any picture quality. Iím really confused on the proper steps/settings that I need to follow so that I can resize the video to the size but keep it very very sharp. Being that the final size is uncommon dimensions, I thought I can find some help here.

Q1: which of the 2 formats above do you suggest that should I be shooting in so will make it easiest to resize to 590x250? I didnít know if I should be using the AVCHD format or not.

Q2: As soon as I open a video in avidemux, it says h264 detected and it gives a choice to use another mode that will lose frame accuracy or, you can select no. That is what I did. I selected no. Then it says index is not up to date, do you want to rebuild. If you say yes, program will crash. If you say no, it lets you proceed. This is already confusing me. What am I suppose to do? There must be a way to properly edit these types of videos.

If any of you can help get me started inthe right direction, I would really learn a lot and can eventually do this on my own. Im not sure what setting need to be adjusted to keep sharp video when I re-encode and im stuck on getting the video to the size I need.

In a nutshell, I want to shoot HD videos, resize them to 590x250 and keep as much video clarity as possible.

Thanks in advance.
nj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avchd, avidemux, h.264, mp4