Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2014, 11:27   #1441  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1. You can only use it with the 32 bit version of LAV/MPC-HC
2. How did you check that it's not being used?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 11:56   #1442  |  Link
huhn

and you you use it with the internal MPC hc lavfilter version you need copy it to them.
if you install lavfilter MPC-HC will still use his build in version until you disable it or pref the external.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 04:11   #1443  |  Link
JanWillem32

Sorry for the late responses, I've been away for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingblue View Post
I don't use two video render at once.
I use Madvr.

ffdshow raw filter is only the key to use avisynth scripts and use denoises immediately after the decoder.
Any entity that hosts filters after the reference input stage, whether that is after the decoding-to-reference-image stage, after loading some raw bitmap from a file or after just applying plain vertex colors is a video renderer by definition. The Ffdshow and Avisynth filter stages are video renderers, just odd ones because they lack image presentation parts.

I don't really mind the existence of the various Avisynth filters and such, but most parts are just so fundamentally badly designed. (Note that plenty of pixel shaders, including mine are/were just as bad.)
Modern video renderers should have absolutely no need for some reference Y'CbCr, R'G'B' or RGB format. The display R'G'B' format is important to video renderers that present images, of course. When relating to display R'G'B' color management (and unfortunately dithering) should be used to change the rendered image into the presentable image. Of course, when dealing with the horrible quality of consumer-grade video sources, some denoising and debanding in Y'CbCr to get rid of purely digital artifacts (in the earliest stages of rendering) is useful.
Many filters are unfortunately using Y'CbCr as something that actually represents color, or worse, a linear light model (e.g. as required by resizing filters). It simply doesn't work that way, as anyone with decent knowledge of color theory will agree with.
What I find the worst about these filters is that decent quantization is lost at the end, and with most filters in between stages as well, with on top of that the common losses of the negative and positive overshoot of the common Y'CbCr format of {[16, 235], [16, 240], [16, 240]} in filtering and converting to R'G'B'. (A correct video-standard Y'CbCr to video-standard R'G'B' conversion leads to signals below 0% and above 100%. As video R'G'B' isn't display R'G'B' and both not even close to the complete-gamut color systems, these overshoots are useful.)

As I said, I don't mind the existence of these filters, but given the archaic rendering methods they employ, I'm certainly never going to endorse using them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I liek <s>mudkips</s> artificial sharpening. I turn it off when the artifacts get unwatchable, but most of the time I find it more pleasant to watch movies with Sharpen Complex 2 (and used to use SeeSaw in ffdshow). I guess extra grittiness just appeals to me, I'm glad the option is available.
Sharpen Complex 2 is at least high-passed (not efficiently, though). It (usually) won't contribute to areas with banding and very light noise, but won't improve these flaws either. What I do mind about Sharpen Complex 2 is its default sharpening factor setting. It's even more brutal than the factors AMD and Intel set as a default for the EVR's "video enhancement" filters in their drivers.
I typically use this filter for an example why to stay away from all of such filters.
Old 17th August 2014, 04:42   #1444  |  Link
feelingblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
As I said, I don't mind the existence of these filters, but given the archaic rendering methods they employ, I'm certainly never going to endorse using them
Ok thank you for explanation.

But now what i must do?

I have to use a " archaic video chain" that give me an outstanding PQ or..... I have to use a "technically perfect chain" that give me a very good PQ?

What is the goal?
The use of the video chain and the theories..... or watching a film with best possible quality?
feelingblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 05:17   #1445  |  Link
JanWillem32

My aim is to eliminate archaic rendering methods (while still keep a great repertoire of possible filtering options). Partially by writing filters myself, partially by educating, and maybe by finally convincing the consumer-grade image, audio and video standards committees that what they've been standardizing has not been sensible in any way compared to professional formats of the past multiple decades.
I wouldn't quite only say "archaic video chain" for this case, but rather one chain and yet another one after that (and the bottleneck in between them). A technically perfect chain (singular) would certainly help.
Oh well, as you might expect by now, I'm rather picky. I personally use some enhancements too, but there are even more filters that I won't use. Luckily I can simply write pretty much any filter for myself, as long as it's computationally not too expensive.
Old 17th August 2014, 08:18   #1446  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Would it be possible to allow the Play/Pause hotkey to start playback on first open similar to the Play hotkey?

This has been something which has bothered me off and on for years now. For whatever reason only the single function Play hotkey can start playback on first open, while the Play/Pause hotkey can only start playback after it's been started and stopped once by other means. This never made much sense to me, and I've never been able to figure out a workaround to allow a single hotkey to start playback on first open without losing the pause dual functionality which I'd consider even more important then the former.

The behavior I desire:
  • Open MPC-HC
  • Drag items to Playlist
  • Press "Play/Pause hotkey" to start playback (Not currently possible, requires separate Play hotkey)
  • Press "Play/Pause hotkey" if desired to Pause -> Play playback
  • Exit MPC-HC
  • Open MPC-HC (Playlist saved from previous session)
  • Press "Play/Pause hotkey" to start playback (Not currently possible, requires separate Play hotkey)
  • Press "Play/Pause hotkey" if desired to Pause -> Play playback
  • Exit MPC-HC

While I would like to see this changed in a future official build, but for all I know this restriction on the Play/Pause hotkey was intentional for some reason? Either way, any help would be appreciated, even if it's only pointing out the related code/changes required so I could compile a personal build with the modified behavior I desire.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 17th August 2014 at 16:53.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 11:51   #1447  |  Link
vBm
MPC-HC Helper xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
While I would like to see this changed in a future official MPC-HC build, for all I know this restriction on the Play/Pause hotkey was intentional for some reason? Either way, any help would be appreciated, even if it's only pointing out the related code/changes required so I could compile a personal build with the modified behavior I desire.
devs don't read d9 anymore, it's better that you open a ticket at our trac.

https://trac.mpc-hc.org/
Old 18th August 2014, 12:15   #1448  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@cyberbeing: IIRC it has been designed this way. "play" command builds graph and all sort of jazz and "play/pause" just pause or start the graph. I guess we can change this behavior. I will look later at the code.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 13:47   #1449  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Ah okay, well if this is impractical to change for whatever reason, it may make sense to at least more accurately rename the hotkey and menu entries from "Play/Pause" to "Pause/Resume". Though that wouldn't resolve my qualms with the current behavior, it would at least eliminate any confusion why that hotkey is incapable of actually starting playback (Play) of the video. Though another key point here, is from an accessibility standpoint, there should be a way to start playback by default via the keyboard alone, even if that means entering the menu (something like 'ALT+P + ENTER' if 'Play' was added to the first entry in that menu).

Thanks for the response kasper93, the context of the current behavior was exactly what I was looking for before I create a ticket. Once I collect my thoughts, I'll plan to do that tomorrow.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 18th August 2014 at 13:49.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 03:23   #1450  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Just updated to the last nightly from 1.7.6.82

Now when the player doesn't have any files opened (for example just after launching it) the logo is resized to the window size, so it looks horrible.

1.7.6.82:

1.7.6.164:

Any suggestions?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 15:20   #1451  |  Link
thrawnrulz68

streaming

I'm not sure if this is a LAV issue or not but I cannot get video to stream in the latest MPC-HC (1.7.6.162). I'm pretty sure that at least Windows Media streams were working at some point on an older build...

Music (M3U, PLS, AAC, OGG) play fine but RealMedia and .asx do not play. Here is a page with RealMedia, Windows Media, and Quicktime samples. None of them play for me in MPC-HC:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/streaming/#RealMedia

Also, when saving a playlist in MPC-HC itself as .asx, the playlist does not open...

Any ideas?
thrawnrulz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 20:44   #1452  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
Any suggestions?
Yes, wait for the next nightly.
Old 24th August 2014, 21:07   #1453  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Yes, wait for the next nightly.
Thanks for looking into it!
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 15:57   #1454  |  Link
shae

Is there a way to change the subtitle vertical alignment from bottom to top?
shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 23:20   #1455  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Sure, go to options->default style and you will find margins and alignment options. You can also edit it during playback in play->subtitles->style dialog.
Old 1st September 2014, 20:19   #1456  |  Link
DeathAngelBR

My mpc-hc suddenly started making my pc hang for a few seconds when opening mkv files. Like overnight, out of nowhere. What the heck?

Lastest stable version, win xp sp3, etc.
DeathAngelBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 21:46   #1457  |  Link
DMD

Good evening.

With the latest version "MPC-HC.1.7.6.211" I have detected a problem with the subtitles "Pgs" blu-ray or MKV HD lossless.

The facts are these:
If the film is done from the beginning, without making any pause, the subtitles are detected and everything works fine.
Instead, if I launch the movie and hit the pause button and then resume from the same point, the subtitles are no longer detected.

For the moment I solved this problem by reinstalling the previous version "MPC-HC.1.7.6.71." with this version does not have this problem.

I ask if it can be solved with later versions.

Thank you

Last edited by DMD; 1st September 2014 at 23:13.
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 23:54   #1458  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngelBR View Post
My mpc-hc suddenly started making my pc hang for a few seconds when opening mkv files. Like overnight, out of nowhere. What the heck?

Lastest stable version, win xp sp3, etc.
"win xp" ... well enough said upgrade already, its over a decade old let it rest in peace
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:17   #1459  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
With the latest version "MPC-HC.1.7.6.211" I have detected a problem with the subtitles "Pgs" blu-ray or MKV HD lossless.
I think that is fixed in todays nightly.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:42   #1460  |  Link
DeathAngelBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
"win xp" ... well enough said upgrade already, its over a decade old let it rest in peace
That's not even an answer. Everything was working fine till this morning; came back home, turned pc on, opened mkv file and it started to freeze for a few seconds every fucking time.
DeathAngelBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxva, media player classic, mpc, mpc-hc