Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 3rd January 2005, 15:01   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Adding a still frame presentation menu on a DVDShrink reauthored DVD

You have a DVDShrink reauthored DVD, but you hate that the movie starts directly when you insert the DVD in the player. You want to have some time to sit down confortably on your sofa, and watch a neat presentation before the movie begins.
This guide is for you!

Guide, mirror.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 22:36   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Very nice rolz.

One query
Step 6:

Copy the following commands by selecting them with the mouse and pressing Control-C:
[00 A2 00 0F 00 01 00 00] 1 if ( gprm(15) == 1 ) then { Break }
[71 00 00 0F 00 01 00 00] 2 Set gprm(15) =(mov) 1
[30 08 00 02 01 C0 00 00] 4 (CallSS) Call the VMGM PGC 2, resume cell 1

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 3rd January 2005 at 22:41.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2005, 01:20   #3  |  Link
sweetness

Quote:
have some time to sit down confortably on your sofa
you must know my girlfriend then. my god every movie is wait where's the popcorn,the drinks or i'm not confortably yet.

what i did was make a pic then create a still with dvdshrink(like in your guide) then use Import Firt-Play(startup)Clip or the Import Title's Intro Clip Macro.

i haven't had the time to try this(your guide) yet but if the movie is playing and i hit the title or root menu button will the movie resume to where i hit the button or back to chapter 1? If it resumes to the last viewing point this method has it's advantages over the one i mentioned above.

muxman 0.7 can now create a still with audio. but how can i get those Nav Packs in there?

Last edited by sweetness; 4th January 2005 at 02:01.
sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2005, 10:01   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@blutach: Right. Line 4 should be 3. But, as the line numbers will be changed anyway when you paste them, this has no incidence on the guide.

@sweetness: Yes, the movie is resumable at the point you left it. Just press Title Menu again, or Return, or Prev Chapter, or Cursor left, or 2. Do you want another key?

Muxman and nav packs: ask Mpucoder.
Old 13th January 2005, 23:24   #5  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Nice but it won't fluff the pillows...

This got me engaged into a dangerous hobby, thinking .

How about expanding that "template" further or even write a simple program strictly dealing with DVDshrunk re-authored movies?

1. Menu page only with 3 buttons, PLAY, SCENE SELECTION and BONUS.

2. Allot 3 SCENE SELECTION pages each with four windows. Each window's linked to the desired cell. 12 choices for <2hr shrunk movie seem enough.

3. Bonus page with say 3 to 5 generic buttons linked to them worthy bonus clips.

Of course all pages are to be filled with screen captures of choice.

Do-able..?
(fingers crossed, tight!)
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2005, 23:51   #6  |  Link
mpucoder

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetness
muxman 0.7 can now create a still with audio. but how can i get those Nav Packs in there?
You mean as in buttons - a true menu? It's not there yet, several development steps to go before that can be done.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 00:31   #7  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by Surf
Nice but it won't fluff the pillows...

This got me engaged into a dangerous hobby, thinking .

How about expanding that "template" further or even write a simple program strictly dealing with DVDshrunk re-authored movies?

1. Menu page only with 3 buttons, PLAY, SCENE SELECTION and BONUS.

2. Allot 3 SCENE SELECTION pages each with four windows. Each window's linked to the desired cell. 12 choices for <2hr shrunk movie seem enough.

3. Bonus page with say 3 to 5 generic buttons linked to them worthy bonus clips.

Of course all pages are to be filled with screen captures of choice.

Do-able..?
(fingers crossed, tight!)
Not easy. And it's not a job for PgcEdit.
However, there is a good attempt to implement that. It's called TitleWriter, but has a predefined menu, and is NTSC only. It's not possible to add your own graphics. (This is the big difficulty: a MPEG2 encoder and a muxer must be integrated in the program!)

It's not so difficult to author a simple menu with an authoring program, and import it with PgcEdit.
Old 14th January 2005, 01:51   #8  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Thanks for the feedback, r0lZ, I'll stop daydreaming now. What got me er...thinking was the guide by BluTach in which the motion menu was removed and yes it requires de/re-muxing with VOBedit & IFOedit.

Now any help on a guide on how to perform a simple authoring?

I know, I know, me hopeless << no programmer.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 02:04   #9  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@surf: Do-able and done.

Go to the DVD Shrink forum at digital-digest and look for a prog called titlewriter written by FallenAngel. Imports his own very simple menus. EDIT: Here's the link (http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=39486)

Or you can put the original menus back.

See http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?link=711

With respect to the motions to stills, last night on Last Samurai R4, my menus went from 150Mb to 2MB. I know it's a bit complicated, but the results are worth it, no?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 15th January 2005 at 02:08.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 17:56   #10  |  Link
voo_doo99

Adding motion presentation menu

While doing backup of CSI episodes, I found a variation to add motion presentation menu. The basic steps are:

1.Use DVDShrink re-authored mode to pull out the motion menu and save it as the Title clip.
2.Add this Title clip in front of the re-authored episodes and back it all up with DVDShrink.
3.Bring the backup set to PgcEdit. Apply macro "DVDShrink Remote Buttons".
4.Change postcommand of Title clip (Title 1) to loop on itself

Now when the backup DVD starts, you got the motion presentation and the accompanied AC-3 sound to whet you viewing appetite while you nuke the popcorn in the hotbox and recover the Diet Coke from the coldbox. Press the Title button when ready. Enjoy.

@r0lZ
The missing part is the built-in menu buttons (Enter/Play, Right Cursor, Next Chapter,...). Can PgcEdit BOV feature be used for that? [that would really be cool ]
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 18:17   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You may export the original buttons definitions, and import them in your new title. But, unfortunately, DVDShrinh loose the subpic streams when reauthoring menus. So, you will not see the button highlights. The only way to get them back is to demux the original menu, and remux the subpic streams in the new title. But it's not easy, nor fast.

With PgcEdit, you can easily add your own buttons, but again, without highlights.
Old 18th April 2005, 18:41   #12  |  Link
voo_doo99

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
You may export the original buttons definitions, and import them in your new title. But, unfortunately, DVDShrinh loose the subpic streams when reauthoring menus. So, you will not see the button highlights. The only way to get them back is to demux the original menu, and remux the subpic streams in the new title. But it's not easy, nor fast.

With PgcEdit, you can easily add your own buttons, but again, without highlights.
Thanks. A dumb question here, without the button highlights [say hidden buttons like your still_frame menu] can I still get the intended button action when I press the remote Enter/Play, Next Chapter, ...? .
Old 18th April 2005, 21:53   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes. But it's usable only with one button per page, or the user will be lost!

You may also use some Auto activaying buttons, like I did in the little blank menu used in my guide: an invisible full screen button, and two auto activating buttons called with the left and down arrows of the remote. Have a look...
Old 24th April 2005, 16:35   #14  |  Link
voo_doo99

Quote:
You may also use some Auto activaying buttons, like I did in the little blank menu used in my guide: an invisible full screen button, and two auto activating buttons called with the left and down arrows of the remote. Have a look...
@r0lZ
I could apply your Still-Frame menu technique very easily, but after going thru the screens I could not figure out how you set up the buttons to map to the DVD remote Play, Right Cursor, Next Chapter, ...; or why button 3 command is coded RSM different from LinkTailPGC from the other two buttons; or the use of Auto Activate ...

I would really like to know the how-does-it-work details of this setup, hoping you could share some finer points. Thanks.

Last edited by voo_doo99; 25th April 2005 at 21:19.
Old 24th April 2005, 19:35   #15  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Code:
  VMGM , LU 1 (en):

VMGM , LU 1 (en) , 1  (dummy)  TitleM - Chapters: n/a,  Programs: 0,  Cells: 0 
        ********** pre commands:
           1  (JumpSS) Jump to First Play PGC 
        ********** post commands:
        ********** cell commands:

VMGM , LU 1 (en) , 2  (0:00)  3b. - Chapters: n/a,  Programs: 1,  Cells: 1 
        ********** pre commands:
           1  Set gprm(15) =(mov) 1 
           1  (JumpTT) Jump to Title 1 
        ********** menu buttons commands:
        VOB ID 1,  Cell ID 1  (First NAV pack LBA=0)
        1 Group  Select button=1,  Action button=1
           1: LinkTailPGC 
           2: LinkTailPGC *** Autoaction 
           3: RSM *** Autoaction 

VMGM , LU 1 (en) , 3  (dummy) - Chapters: n/a,  Programs: 0,  Cells: 0 
        ********** pre commands:
           1  RSM 
As you can see in the code above, there are 3 buttons in VMGM PGC 2.

The first button covers the whole screen, so that if you click anywhere in the image, it will be activated. Since the default selected button is forced to 1, it will be also activated in you press the enter button on the remote. His command is LinkTailPGC. So, when it is activated, the post command will be executed, and title 1 will be played.

Button 1 is also set as the default activation button. This has no effect if you leave the still time of the cell to 255 (infinite), since the menu will pause ad infinitum. But if you change the still time duration, button 1 will be automaticaly selected when the delay is over, and title 1 will be played.

The button linked at the right of button 1 is button 2. Button 2 is a verry small, hidden and auto-activating button, with also a LinkTailPGC command. So, if you press the right cursor on the remote, button 2 will be selected and automatically activated, and title 1 will also be played.

The button linked at the left of button 1 is button 3. It's also a little, auto activating button, but this time with a RSM command. So, if you press the left cursor, you will resume at the point where the playback was interrupted.

The Prev, Next and GoUpPGC links are also set in PGC 2, so that, when pressing the previous chapter button when the menu is displayed (PrevPGC Link), the PGC 3 will be executed: a resume is done.

The NextPGC link point to PGC 2 (itself), therefore the post command is executed, and title 1 is played.

GoUpPGC is set to Resume. So, if you press the GoUp (aka Return) button of the remote, the playback will resume.

PGC 1, callable with the Title Menu button of the remote, is used to jump to the next title of the DVDShrink reauthored DVD, via the First-Play PGC. This is the normal usage of the Title button if you apply the DVDShrink Remote Buttons macro. It is not directly related to the menu.

In the guide, I explain how to change the original commands of your DVDShrink reauthored DVD, so that the menu is called before title 1. But that's easy to understand, no?
Old 25th April 2005, 18:43   #16  |  Link
voo_doo99

@r0lZ
Your explanation was super, I am making the connection now . So to map the remote Play/Enter, Right Cursor, Left Cursor buttons I use the Button Menu Editor. And to map the remote Next/Prev Chapter, Return (GoUpPGC) buttons I need the PGC Editor. Thanks! this knowledge feels good, now I know enough to be dangerous [to my backup work] . See if I can apply this learning to title BOVs.

Btw, what is the simplest way to copy button definitions from one cell to other cells in Menu/Title PGC?

Quote:
In the guide, I explain how to change the original commands of your DVDShrink reauthored DVD, so that the menu is called before title 1. But that's easy to understand, no?
Your guide was great and with the power of PgcEdit, it could not be easier.

Thank you, Captain @r0lZ [of the Free DVD Tools World of Tomorrow].

Last edited by voo_doo99; 25th April 2005 at 21:18.
Old 25th April 2005, 19:20   #17  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by voo_doo99
Btw, what is the simplest way to copy button definitions from one cell to other cells in Menu/Title PGC?
Use Copy and Paste in the edit menu of the menu editor window. Or use Export and Import in the File menu. Don't forget the color sheme, if your buttons are visible.
To copy the button command only, you may also use the Clipboard menu button in the menu viewer.

BTW, thanks for your kind words.