Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2008, 08:50   #361  |  Link
Deinorius
Najarenthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I plan to enable it for MPEG2 and VC1.
Will that be as one program or a program for each codec?
As one program, you can call it later DGGPUIndex.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:04   #362  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinorius View Post
Works for me....
Old 24th September 2008, 10:44   #363  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
There will not be any more free versions of DGAVCDecNV available after the current alpha expires next month.
I hope you are not planing to do the same for DGAVCDec (powered by libavcodec) ...
Old 24th September 2008, 10:47   #364  |  Link
Comatose

Yup...

Anyway, I'm looking into getting a job now :P
Old 24th September 2008, 11:07   #365  |  Link
lucassp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinorius View Post
Will that be as one program or a program for each codec?
"Free" and high quality MPEG2 Deinterlacing sounds good
Old 24th September 2008, 12:12   #366  |  Link
jj666

Donated. Professional software at a budget price.

Thanks a lot!

-jj-
Old 24th September 2008, 14:45   #367  |  Link
CruNcher

Wow nice to see Nvidias open approach here though i wish you would also get in contact here with ATI and give them a chance to react, but still im a little surprised why Nvidias approach for Windows is so open though for Linux nothing is being done yet , never the less it's great to see Nvidia cares about this support and also Open Source approaches even if it's currently only the case for 1 Platform in terms of Video Support
Also it shows that Nvidia cared about 100% spec compliance and that most problems are coming from the streams themselves

btw neuron2
Quote:
1- If decode runs in the same thread than display (ie: calling map() directly from within the display callback), the video processor will be idle (frequently happens, especially for frames where display order == decode order) In this case, the amount of performance drop depends directly on the speed of the transfer to sysmem and the speed of the GPU.
Is this currently what happens when Display is Enabled and Playback Speed drops from 45 fps down to roughly 12 fps ?

Quote:
When getting full VP utilization, without any 3D bottleneck, the perf of the 8500GT should be very close to a 9800GTX, since IIRC the video processor is clocked at the same speed on both, though this could depend on the manufacturer (usually it is running at 450MHz, but some low-end GPUs are only running VP at 400MHz).
Does this also suggests that there is something in Nvidias Firmware that controls this clockspeed aside of the Shader clock itself ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th September 2008 at 15:06.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:51   #368  |  Link

You didn't read the dialog carefully! You missed the places where Nvidia talks about how they are making a cross-platform version and cutting the connection to DX/D3D.

To be honest, I have had very bad experiences with ATI products. I am not all that keen about it. Also, I see some posts elsewhere saying that the required API is not yet exposed, and may not be.

To answer some other questions:

I will try to integrate MPEG/AVC/VC1 but if not feasible they will be separate.

I have no plans to license the libavcodec version (though I could because I access the GPL part via a DLL).

I'm not going to get rich through my stuff, I just thought it would be nice to cover my website hosting and keep the beer flowing while I do my coding.

Last edited by Guest; 24th September 2008 at 14:55.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:57   #369  |  Link
Ranguvar

What?? The GPU indexer will not be FOSS?

Wouldn't be such a bad thing if NVIDIA didn't announce that they were making the CUDA decoding multi-platform, as you said. Now at the same time there's both hope for a GNU+Linux port, and it is lost.

/me hopes NVIDIA's CUDA support is as good as you say, because the sooner there's a FOSS fork or patch to DGIndex/DGAVCIndex with GPU decoding, the better.

Please don't take this as unappreciative for the great work you've done, or too critical of your decision. I understand your reasons. I am just a very big advocate of FOSS.
By the way, how are you planning on copyrighting it? If I'm not mistaken, jackei also did work on the original DVD2AVI, and some code is likely still in DGAVCIndexNV... are you planning on rewriting it, or on simply using a one-size-fits-all FOSS GUI and CLI interface to a FOSS old-style decoder, and your copyrighted GPU decoder if they paid up, the decoders as DLLs?

Last edited by Ranguvar; 24th September 2008 at 16:01.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:11   #370  |  Link
Bitowzky

Can someone provide me the link to apha 3 version? I'd like to test it, before i buy it. Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 16:17   #371  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
Wouldn't be such a bad thing if NVIDIA didn't announce that they were making the CUDA decoding multi-platform, as you said. Now at the same time there's both hope for a GNU+Linux port, and it is lost.
Did I miss something or isn't it also allowed to write closed-source + commercial products for linux ? Or did I misunderstand your statement ?

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
Old 24th September 2008, 16:27   #372  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
People are quite within their rights to make a program run on Linux and charge people for the privilege of doing so, without making the source available. Intel's compiler for example.

@donald: I was surprised to find you'd employed a "license" strategy for DGAVCDecNV, but I guess you're the one writing the program, originally in response with PAFF hassle (i.e no response from libavcodec devs), so you're quite within the right to ask for a small charge as "beer money", as you so succinctly put it. All power to you, and if you end up making 5 figures out of it, that shows the user base you have.

As Ranguvar has loosely written, I hope ATI are not only taking note, but wanting to add support alongside NVIDIA in this program.
Old 24th September 2008, 17:38   #373  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
You think I'm incapable of coding for Linux platforms?

There's nothing recognizable left from DVD2AVI in my current DGAVCIndexNV code base, and DGAVCDecodeNV is written from scratch. But DGMPGDec as it currently stands could not be closed.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:14   #374  |  Link
G_M_C

Good for you Neuron2, no shame in trying to keep some costs down. Alas, i don't own a NV card, and don't plan to. So my hopes still lay with a software and/or Ati version. In the mean time i stick to alpha 35 for the software-version; But congrats on this first mile-stone

Last edited by G_M_C; 24th September 2008 at 22:27.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:21   #375  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I was going to add DGAVCIndexNV to RipBot package but since this software won't be free I had to abandon this idea. I will also stay with my 4850 and libavcodec...
Old 24th September 2008, 22:28   #376  |  Link
tre31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
As Ranguvar has loosely written, I hope ATI are not only taking note, but wanting to add support alongside NVIDIA in this program.
Going from my experience with ATI and their dxva and deinterlacing technologies as they currently stand, I would say they would need too change quite a few things within the SDK and their driver model too even have access too the UVD chip, its not undoable I don't think, but do they have the desire too allow access too it? time will tell. ATI has only recently gotten behind opensource and their Windows drivers have followed the 'locked down' path pretty much since their initial catalysts - perhaps a change of thought processes is in order.

Another thing too also consider that is if they open up a UVD api via their Stream SDK is their implementation of protected video path's secure - may be the real reason why they can't/won't allow access to it.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:21   #377  |  Link
Warrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
There will not be any more free versions of DGAVCDecNV available after the current alpha expires next month.
Wow, did not see this coming. I think this is really a bad day for the doom9 community. Asking for donations is totally fine especially if someone needs the money to be able to continue his great work but I doubt that licensing models are the right way to go.

IMHO the software/code contributed here should stay free. This is escpecially important for other people offering free software who rely on your work like Atak_Snajpera (Ripbot264) or others. If more people choose to go that way it will slow the community down and might destroy what it is now. Btw.: I also own a Radeon 4850. Just my 2 cents on the whole licensing idea.

Something like the following is even more annoying considering how many DRM infested programs require doing things when you change your PC: "Your activation is tied to your system drive that carries the C: partition. So if you replace that drive, please email me for a new license file."

Source:
http://neuron2.net/dgavcdecnv/dgavcdecnv.html

See here also: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=141409

Last edited by Warrex; 25th September 2008 at 07:03.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:24   #378  |  Link

I don't want this thread to devolve into an argument about how I make my work available. It's for technical discussion of the program. That is a warning that OT strikes can follow. Send me a PM or open a new thread in General about it, but don't further pollute this thread.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:58   #379  |  Link
Warrex

Okay, sorry, I did not know that this was purely technical here. I opened a thread for anyone willing to discuss licensing models in software/code contributed on Doom9.net here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...89#post1187889
Old 25th September 2008, 01:14   #380  |  Link
Zwitterion

some issues with dgavcdecnv100a3:

- when doing "bobbing-with-two-dgavcdecnv-instances", only the use_top_field=true frames are correctly deinterlaced. The use_top_field=false frames look interpolated.

Also, when adding more instances like:
Code:
a=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00014.dga", deinterlace=true, use_top_field=true)
b=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00014.dga", deinterlace=true, use_top_field=false)
c=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00014.dga", deinterlace=true, use_top_field=true)
d=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00014.dga", deinterlace=true, use_top_field=false)
Interleave(a,b,c,d)
... only 'a' will be correctly deinterlaced from the top field, all other instance will be interpolated from the bottom field (even 'c').

- when bobbing, going forward in the stream too fast can result weird artifacts. I'm no expert, but I guess the instances desyncronize at higher fps, or the video processor/CUDA gets overloaded or something like that.

- more than four instances crash virtualdubmod instantly without error message.

- when using a single instance of DGAVCDecodeNV, use_top_field=false results in the same stream as use_top_field=true. IIRC this was a CUDA bug, though.

Great work so far, I'm looking forward to VC-1 and MPEG2 decoding and will donate soon.

Last edited by Zwitterion; 25th September 2008 at 01:17.
Closed Thread