Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 27th December 2009, 18:51   #1321  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

That is correct. The reason this option exists is for Linux distributions to be able to build byte-identical packages of mkvtoolnix given the same library/compiler versions etc.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:58   #1322  |  Link
neb1236

So is there a possibility to have the same option for mkv muxing? maybe mkvpropedit can be useful.
I'm trying to achieve this to be able to mux a file on a distant server where I have the same source file as the local ones, without needing to download it and view it (md5 sum checking)
Old 27th December 2009, 19:05   #1323  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No, sorry. Quoting myself and others from a recent IRC session:

Quote:
21:50 Snosnhoj:: oh yeah is there a way to mux the exact same things each time to generate the exact same file with mkvmerge or some other tool.
21:55 Myrsloik:: there's a flag for that in mkvmerge
21:55 Myrsloik:: read the manual to fina it
22:05 Mosu:: Snosnhoj: no, not really
22:17 Myrsloik:: wasn't it possible before at least?
22:18 Mosu:: not really
22:18 Myrsloik:: hmm... then I have to try to giure out exactly what we did
22:19 Mosu:: there is a switch that lets mkvmerge/extract create identical files with identical options, but the resulting files are not spec compliant and may pose problematic to play back or work with. that switch is therefore not documented, and its only purpose is being used for my regression test suite
22:19 Myrsloik:: why aren't they compliant?
22:20 Mosu:: because the unique IDs are not unique; additionally all chapters/tags that use UIDs as targets are broken by that
22:21 Myrsloik:: if you ever come across some broken files...
22:22 Mosu::
22:27 Snosnhoj:: thanks for the answer/details, what is the switch called?
22:28 Mosu:: don't use that switch
22:28 Mosu:: there's no reason to
22:29 Myrsloik:: now listen to the nice developer and do as he says
22:29 Mosu::
22:32 Snosnhoj:: ok o;
Note that even with the configure option "--without-build-timestamps" the resulting files will not be identical.

Old 27th December 2009, 19:35   #1324  |  Link
neb1236

Understood, I will not beg for it since it will effectively result in strange file unless we can explicitly furnish custom UID for one specific mux for each track on other xml element
I will try to find third party tool which could perform a some sort of synchronization between two muxed file with same option, since the difference between the two would be very small (timestamp and segment UID)
Perhaps, one small question that could help, is the difference between two mux is compressed in the header of the file or dispatched, well I guess I can do it myself, don’t bother.
Thank you for your help
Old 27th December 2009, 19:42   #1325  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The differences are indeed only in a very small number of elements, and those should always have the same size. Therefore syncing the two files should be nearly trivial. I cannot tell the actual elements off-hand, but they should be the various UID elements (track UID, segment UID, tag/edition/chapter/attachment UIDs), the muxing timestamp ("Date:" in mkvinfo's output), and (if you have two different sets of mkvmerge executables) the "writing app" element.

The position of these elements varies: most of them are located at the start of the file before the first cluster (track/segment/chapter UIDs, muxing timestamp, writing app). Others can be at the end of the file because mkvmerge puts them there (tag/edition/attachment UIDs).

There are two sync tools I use regularly: rsync and unison. rsync is mostly a "from point A to point B" tool, and unison is a "keep two directory structures in sync and resolve differences" tool. Therefore rsync is better suited for this particular purpose. Both are available for various Linux/Unixy systems as well as for Windows, but my experience with them on Windows hasn't been that great. However, both run over ssh and only update those parts of a file that has actually changed making them incredibly efficient for huge files with small differences.

Old 28th December 2009, 00:44   #1326  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

I have a question about the "--cropping" command.

Does it really tamper with the video stream by deleting specified number of macroblocks or is it just setting some kind of flag for the decoder filter to apply cropping during playback?
Old 28th December 2009, 08:37   #1327  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
I have a question about the "--cropping" command.

Does it really tamper with the video stream by deleting specified number of macroblocks or is it just setting some kind of flag for the decoder filter to apply cropping during playback?
The latter. mkvmerge is not an encoder/decoder, and the cropping parameters are only stored in the track headers. It's up to the decoding chain to honor them and use the appropriate filters.

Old 28th December 2009, 13:01   #1328  |  Link
neb1236

I thought it could be interesting for other to see if it was trivial or not, well it is.
First thank you for the name of rsync Mosu, I already knew the name but I couldn't recover it, you saved me some time.
Here is the result:

- 6 mkv total of 4.09Go
- Sent: 436Ko Received: 1.08Mo
- Achieved in 4 min and 10 sec
Limited by a slow P4@2.8ghz processor and done through a 100ko/s upload and 50ko/s download broadband restriction.
- rsync effectiveness: 2774!!!

Mkv made with same version of mkvmerge with identical batch and source files
Made between a Windows XP and Windows 7 desktop, I didn't used rsync under cygwin but a modded rcync for windows called DeltaCopy (work good with mix linux/win server/client too)

I knew it was an effective technique, but it has surpassed my expectation.
Old 28th December 2009, 13:40   #1329  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Nice numbers indeed Ah yes DeltaCopy; I actually know that one but didn't think of it. Anyway, glad to see you've got a working solution.

Old 28th December 2009, 20:55   #1330  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

how would i split mkv to lil mkvs by chapters?

mkvmerge GUI v2.4.1 ('Use Me')
built on Dec 13 2008 21:02:59

(ubuntu)
Old 28th December 2009, 21:00   #1331  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge cannot split by chapters (neither in current versions -- 2.4.1 is rather old, btw). It can split by timecodes, but you'll have to get the chapter start times manually and use them as the split timecodes.

Old 28th December 2009, 21:24   #1332  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Quote:
you'll have to get the chapter start times manually and use them as the split timecodes
thanks, that was actually the 2nd thing i tried, i have problems with required format i guess this:

HH:MM:SS, HH:MM:SS, HH:MM:SS
or this
HH:MM:SS.MS, HH:MM:SS.MS, HH:MM:SS.MS

is not the right thing? wrong delimiter?

edit:
here is the data as reported by mediainfo;
Code:
00:00:00.000 
00:00:15.880 
00:05:02.440 
00:05:18.280 
00:10:05.320 
00:10:21.160 
00:15:07.240 
00:15:23.080 
00:20:09.640 
00:20:25.480 
00:25:12.520 
00:25:28.360 
00:30:14.920 
00:30:31.240 
00:35:17.320 
00:35:33.160 
00:40:19.720 
00:40:35.560 
00:45:22.120 
00:45:37.960

Last edited by smok3; 28th December 2009 at 21:31.
Old 28th December 2009, 21:33   #1333  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quoting the documentation for the "--split" option:

Quote:
--split size:<d[k|m|g]> or shorter --split <d[k|m|g]>
--split duration:<HH:MM:SS.nnnnnnnnn|ns> or shorter --split <HH:MM:SS.nnnnnnnnn|ns>
--split timecodes:A[,B[,C...]]

Splits the output file after a given size or a given time. Please note that tracks can only be split right before a key frame. Due to buffering mkvmerge will split right before the next key frame after the split point has been reached. Therefore the split point may be a bit off from what the user has specified.
At the moment mkvmerge supports three different modes.
1. Splitting by size.
The parameter d may end with k, m or g to indicate that the size is in KB, MB or GB respectively. Otherwise a size in Bytes is assumed. After the current output file has reached this size limit a new one will be started. The size: prefix may be omitted for compatibility reasons.
2. Splitting after a duration.
The paramter must have the form HH:MM:SS.nnnnnnnnn for specifying the duration in up to nano-second precision or a number n followed by the letter ’s’ for the duration in seconds. "HH" is the number of hours, "MM" the number of minutes, "SS" the number of seconds and "nnnnnnnnn" the number of nanoseconds. Both the number of hours and the number of nanoseconds can be omitted. There can be up to nine digits after the decimal point. After the duration of the contents in the current output has reached this limit a new output file will be started. The duration: prefix may be omitted for compatibility reasons.
3. Splitting after specific timecodes.
The parameters A, B etc must all have the same format as the ones used for the duration (see above). The list of timecodes is separated by commas. After the input stream has reached the current split point’s timecode a new file is created. Then the next split point given in this list is used. The timecodes: prefix must not be omitted.
For this splitting mode the output filename is treated differently than for the normal operation. It may contain a printf like expression ’%d’ including an optional field width, e.g. ’%02d’. If it does then the current file number will be formatted appropriately and inserted at that point in the filename. If there is no such pattern then a pattern of ’-%03d’ is assumed right before the file’s extension: ’-o output.mkv’ would result in ’output-001.mkv’ and so on. If there’s no extension then ’-%03d’ will be appended to the name.
If you use the command line then you really, really do have to use the format's name (e.g. "--split timecodes:00:05:00,00:12:41"). If you use mmg then you only need to enter the list of timecodes into the input box.

Old 28th December 2009, 22:11   #1334  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

new feature: reading multiple VOBs

Hey,

I've implemented reading multiple VOBs that logically belong together as if they were a single big file. Here's the ChangeLog entry that should make clear what I mean:

Quote:
* mkvmerge, mmg: new feature: If a MPEG-2 program stream file is added to mkvmerge whose base name ends in a number then mkvmerge will automatically read and process all other files in the same directory with the same base name, same extension and different numbers. Those files are treated as if they were a single big file. This applies e.g. to VOB files from DVD images that are named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB etc. mmg will output an error message if the user tries to add or append one of the other files that mkvmerge will process automatically (e.g. if the user has added VTS_01_1.VOB already and tries to append VTS_01_2.VOB).

This also fixes bug 437.
I certainly need some folks to test this. I've successfully muxed files on both Windows and Linux.

This also means that mkvmerge will still detect VOB files from the middle of such a set as e.g. h264 instead of MPEG-2 if you decide to add e.g. VTS_01_3.VOB instead of VTS_01_1.VOB -- don't do that

BTW: No, this of course does not mean that mkvmerge can read directly from encrypted DVDs. It does not contain decryption routines.

Here's the link to the Windows build: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-193-setup.exe

Old 28th December 2009, 22:21   #1335  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Thanks again, what fixed the problems was one or more of this things:

1. remove the repo version (old one), mkvtoolnix + gui
2. install the debs (jaunty amd64):
Code:
mkvmerge GUI v3.0.0 ('Hang up your Hang-Ups') built on Dec 12 2009 19:13:47
3. paste timecodes like '00:00:00.000,00:05:02.440,00:10:05.320,00:15:07.240,00:20:09.640'

to admin: this was probably the wrong thread, posts:
1330-1333 + 1335 could make a cute lil thread named 'how would i split mkv to lil mkvs by chapters?'
sorry about that...

Last edited by smok3; 28th December 2009 at 22:26.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:17   #1336  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I certainly need some folks to test this.
Thanks for being motivated! My first test came out fine on Win7. I'll test with a few other dvds.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:02   #1337  |  Link
nkk

Why mkvmerge GUI does not allow manage ChapterSegmentUID XML tag in Chapter editor?

Last edited by nkk; 29th December 2009 at 15:12.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:33   #1338  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No particular reason.

Old 29th December 2009, 18:47   #1339  |  Link
73ChargerFan

I tested on a dvd with more than one title, (vts_02_ ...) and it works fine. The change's I'd make is to state in the change log that this is tested only with dvd vob files, and an indication in mmg when adding the first file that it is also loading files +02 +03 etc. instead of the warning message.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:52   #1340  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
The change's I'd make is to state in the change log that this is tested only with dvd vob files,
I've done this already after posting the announcement above.

Quote:
and an indication in mmg when adding the first file that it is also loading files +02 +03 etc. instead of the warning message.
Good idea. I'll keep the error message, though.

Closed Thread