Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2010, 18:33   #1521  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamer_de View Post
However, I found a case where it's not crashing: WMV1 video + wma2/divx audio. Files with MPEG4-ASP+MP3 crash, so do files with H264+AC-3 5.1 and MPEG4-ASP+WMA9 audio.
I cannot reproduce the problem here, but I don't doubt there is such a problem. Can you please upload a file for which the header editor and/or mkvpropedit crashes to my FTP server, please (see signature)? What I need is the original file before it is modified by the header editor.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 10th April 2010, 14:16   #1522  |  Link
lamer_de

I did upload a small sample of 3 sec of a BBC HD cap in .ts format with H264+AC3 as well as the with haali gdsmuxer remuxed mkv to your ftp. When I try to edit the header of the mkv file (for example change the name of the video track), the crash occurs. Files are called crashes_header_editor.mkv / crashes_header_editor_original.ts
Old 12th April 2010, 19:18   #1523  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thanks for the upload. The problem has been fixed in this build: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-230-setup.exe

Old 14th April 2010, 01:51   #1524  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

is possible create GUI like mkvinfo/mmg for mkvextract natively and multiplataform?
Old 14th April 2010, 08:09   #1525  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Of course it is technically possible, but I will never create such a GUI myself.

Old 14th April 2010, 10:28   #1526  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

great release as usual,

some questions:
a. in the spliting section the gui says something like 'split AFTER timecodes', but the split points are actually done BEFORE TC, whats that about?

slightly offtopic;
b. is there a concept of thumbnails per chapter (or any other external file metadata?)
c. if yes, are there any standalone of sw players that would support that?
Old 14th April 2010, 10:36   #1527  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post
some questions:
a. in the spliting section the gui says something like 'split AFTER timecodes', but the split points are actually done BEFORE TC, whats that about?
The label is wrong, of course. My guess is that this is due to earlier releases of mmg having a control labeled "split after..." with several other inputs that were simply labeled "timecode", "duration" etc.

Quote:
b. is there a concept of thumbnails per chapter (or any other external file metadata?)
c. if yes, are there any standalone of sw players that would support that?
No to b. and none that I know of to c.

Old 14th April 2010, 11:56   #1528  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
is possible create GUI like mkvinfo/mmg for mkvextract natively and multiplataform?
Actually the current GUI is native on all platforms because wxWidgets wraps the native GUI toolkit, problem is slow startup and big file size, not sure why it loads slow but the file size is related to the OOP nature of the GUI libary, all methods in a class will end up in the binary even when never used. It would probably be possible to shrink the file size and speed up the loading but probably it's not worth the trouble otherwise Mosu would have done it already.

Best is to forget about the native term, there are so many different toolkits and development platforms, .NET for instance won't often wrap a native widget but rather draw one calling into the VisualStyles API so it's only partly native, other toolkits do the same.

Then you have the new GUI library WPF which has a very steep learning curve and is extremely powerful, it also imitates the native toolkit somehow and I don't think it uses the VisualStyles API doing it. WPF will be popular even though it has a very steep learning curve and is very resource hungry. It's already part of the Windows platform since Vista, the PowerShell script editor included in Win 7 is built with it, VisualStudio 2010 and most other new MS applications too. WPF's small brother for the Web is called Silverlight competing with Flash, most will use HTML5 instead which is technically inferior for application development but open which is crucial for the web.

You might as well use the term legacy instead of native speaking of the classical Win UI, most new UI stuff in Win 7 use already a newer and internal non public UI toolkit so only Microsoft can use it so C++ programmers are stuck with poor MFC, this toolkit is native meaning not managed so don't need much resources. It's much older than WPF, I think it was already used in XP, it's basically a native control hosting a UI toolkit, Spy++ report this as DirectUIHWND, not sure much is known about it, it's used a lot in Win 7, most parts of explorer are built with it.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:31   #1529  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
Try porting MKVtoolnix to Java.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:38   #1530  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I think the main reason for his request was that there is no official GUI for mkvextract -- only third-party tools on Windows.

Old 14th April 2010, 14:43   #1531  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

purebasic is crosscompiling and avaiable (with commercial license) from win/linux/mac

automen (a gui to mencoder) is build with the same source for win and linux (on win and linux pc...)

no need to use java..

even on my HDConvertToX i added a simple gui to mkvextract...

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 14th April 2010, 18:58   #1532  |  Link
b66pak

@Mosu how do i extract three tracks (1:video.h264, 2:audio.aac, 3:audio.ac3) and the timecodes in one pass using mkvextract in windows?
_
Old 14th April 2010, 19:00   #1533  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You cannot. You can only extract either tracks or timecodes.

Old 14th April 2010, 22:16   #1534  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I think the main reason for his request was that there is no official GUI for mkvextract -- only third-party tools on Windows.
yea. this is my only reason for this request. extist GUI for mkvmerge (mmg), exist GUI for mkvinfo (mkvinfo -g)... Why does not Mkvextract GUI exist?
Old 14th April 2010, 22:32   #1535  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Creating and maintaining GUIs takes time, and it's pretty much the part I dislike the most about programming in general. Combined with the fact that my main focus is on creating Matroska files and not deconstructing them this leads to me not creating such a GUI.

Old 14th April 2010, 22:42   #1536  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

ok. thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 21:01   #1537  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

hi Mosu

I can imagine you have a lot of thinks to do.

But when comes the support of Bluray.sup (and HD-DVD.sup)?
Old 16th April 2010, 21:15   #1538  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvextract can extract them. mkvmerge can read them from Matroska files. Reading them from .sup files will be done when it's done, meaning I don't have an ETA.

Old 20th April 2010, 05:34   #1539  |  Link
Daemon404

So ever since upgrading to to mkvtoolnix 3.3.0 on my centos 5 box (yes, it's old, I know), mkvmerge hangs and uses 100% cpu (at anywhere from 0-6% done) whenever muxing more than one track. It can mux 1 track just fine, but any more and this bug occurs. It's also worth noting that it happens to at least one other person I know (running fc7.. yea.. old.. etc :P). Anyone else having similar problems? Also note 3.2.0 works perfectly fine for both of us. This happens for all input filetypes I've tried (vorbis in ogg, ass subtitles, aac, h.264 (ES), and all of the above in mkv).

Last edited by Daemon404; 20th April 2010 at 05:37.
Old 20th April 2010, 07:30   #1540  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I haven't seen this behaviour myself, nor have I heard from others having the same issue.

Does that happen with all kinds of source files? AVI, Matroska, AC3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC... Meaning do you only test the same file on both machines or do you try different ones with different codecs? Can you upload one of the problematic files somewhere, preferably to my FTP server (see signature)?

Do you use binary packages from somewhere (I don't provide packages for FC7 anymore) or do you compile them yourself?

If the latter try compiling them without optimizations and without precompiled headers by running configure with the following options: ./configure --enable-debug --disable-precompiled-headers

Closed Thread