Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2007, 20:28   #1  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 4.1.1 released

Current version is 4.1.1; see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...16#post1414216

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey users,

I'm proud to present you version 2.0.0 of mkvtoolnix. This release contains new features like support for AVC/h.264 elementary streams (both single files and from AVIs); proper support for MPEG-1/-2 videos without the ugly blockiness; support for extracting MPEG-1/-2 video tracks; use of "simple blocks" with subtitles has been fixed; tons of usability enhancements to mmg; and the usual list of smaller bug fixes.

A special "thanks" to all the people who extensively tested my h.264 support and provided a lot of insight and sample files.

The usual links...
...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-2.0.0.tar.bz2

...the Windows binaries (2000/XP or later):
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....0.0-setup.exe

The binaries for the various Linux versions that I provide have already been updated and are available from the download page: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...downloads.html

Here's the ChangeLog since 1.8.1:

------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-01-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added another tab for each track in which the user can add arbitrary track options.
* mkvextract: enhancement: mkvextract will now also print which container format it uses for each track.
* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for extracting MPEG-1/2 video to MPEG-1/2 program streams.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the file type detection for MPEG-1/2 ES files with a single frame inside.

2007-01-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: MPEG-1/2 video: The sequence and GOP headers are not removed from the bitstream anymore. This should fix the blockiness if the sequence headers change mid-stream. Fix for Bugzilla bug #167.

2007-01-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge now handles the first frames in AVC/h.264 ES streams properly, especially for files for which it did not find a key frame at the beginning in earlier versions.

2007-01-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Improved the detection of AVC/h.264 ES streams with garbage at the beginning.
* mmg: enhancements to the job management dialog: There's a minimum width for the columns. The "up" and "down" buttons are disabled if all entries are selected. Pressing "Ctrl-A" selects all entries.
* mmg: enhancements: "File -> New" will also focus the "input" tab.

2007-01-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancements: The job manager can be opened with "Ctrl-J". The last directory from which a file is added is saved even if the file identification failed. The automatically generated output file name uses the extension ".mka" if no video track is found and ".mks" if neither a video nor an audio track is found in the first file.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the aspect ratio extraction for raw AVC/h.264 ES tracks.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: If a raw AVC/h.264 ES file does not start with a key frame then all the frames before the first key frame are skipped, and mkvmerge does not abort anymore.

2007-01-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: AVC/h.264 ES parser: Fixed wrong NALU size length information in the AVCC.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: AVC/h.264 ES parser: Fixed the decision if a NALU belongs to a previous frame or starts a new one.

2007-01-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: Added an input for the new "NALU size length" parameter.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The NALU size length can be overridden for AVC/h.264 elementary streams. It defaults to 2 which might not be enough for larger frames/slices.

2007-01-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Support for AVC/h.264 elementary streams with short markers (0x00 0x00 0x01 instead of 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01).
* mkvmerge: Removed the "--engage allow_avc_in_vfw_mode" hack.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Added "x264" to the list of recognized FourCCs for AVC/h.264 video in AVI and Matroska files.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for proper muxing of AVC/h.264 tracks in Matroska files that were stored in the MS compatibility mode (CodecID V_MS/VFW/FOURCC instead of V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC).
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed invalid memory access in the AVC ES parser.

2007-01-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for proper muxing of AVC/h.264 tracks in AVI files.

2007-01-01 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for reading AVC/h.264 elementary streams.

2006-12-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: All inputs and controls are cleared and deactivated if the user select "File -> New".
* mmg: enhancement: The user can switch between the "generic" and "format specific options" pages even if no track is selected.

2006-12-29 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: mkvmerge would not write frame durations if "--engage use_simpleblock" was used resulting in unplayable and unextractable subtitle tracks.

2006-12-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Added a workaround for RealAudio tracks for which the key frame flag is never set.

2006-12-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: Fixed a segfault that occured if the user had a track selected and its the file the track was read from is removed.
* mmg: bug fix: Fixed the behaviour of a couple of ComboBoxes on Windows after selecting "File -> New". E.g. if the user selected "700M" in the "split after this size" ComboBox, selected "File -> New" and selected "700M" again, then it would not show up in the command line window until he selected another option and returned to the "700M" afterwards.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a nice weekend

Regards,
Mosu

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 3rd July 2010 at 22:45.
Old 13th January 2007, 21:55   #2  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Nice, thanks for hard work
Old 13th January 2007, 23:55   #3  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

That's good news Much appreciated!
Old 14th January 2007, 01:29   #4  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

that's awesome ! thanks !!!

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 14th January 2007, 05:09   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

linux version works perfectly, thanks
Old 14th January 2007, 17:19   #6  |  Link
LeMoi

If i'm on Global Settings Tab and and make a new muxing (via ctrl+n), mmg gets back to Input Tab
Old 14th January 2007, 17:29   #7  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
* mmg: enhancements: "File -> New" will also focus the "input" tab.
This feature was requested by me. I set the options on the Global tab always after I load a file and don't see the sense in doing it the other way.
Why do you prefere the old behavior?

Regards,
LaughingMan ;-)

Last edited by Eragon4ever; 14th January 2007 at 17:33.
Old 14th January 2007, 17:56   #8  |  Link
LeMoi

Because sometimes i mux series of files with same prefix ; for example i mux with title : "Name of show - SXXEXX - title of episode", and after muxing, when i want to mux next episode, instead of typing again "Name of show - SXXEXX+1 - title of episode", i copy it before making new mux, then paste it into new mux, thus it's easyier to stay in Global Settings instead of getting back to Input, then Global Settings
I don't know if i'm clear
Old 14th January 2007, 18:05   #9  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Got it (and doing it myself sometimes ).
However you still have to load the next file (or did I miss something?) so you could copy the title, load the next file etc. and THEN paste and mux.
Old 15th January 2007, 13:14   #10  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon4ever View Post
However you still have to load the next file (or did I miss something?) so you could copy the title, load the next file etc. and THEN paste and mux.
I don't load it, i "make" it, it's a new muxing from video and audio files. But i paste then mux, i'm not on Global Settings tab any more with mmg 2.0.
Any way it's no big deal, i was just used to this feature ^^
Old 14th January 2007, 18:05   #11  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I can make it optional. Hmm, I think it's time to move the "settings" tab to its own window

Old 14th January 2007, 21:53   #12  |  Link
guada2

great work Mosu.
Bye
Old 15th January 2007, 09:46   #13  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The new version is much appreciated!

Old 15th January 2007, 10:04   #14  |  Link
Isochroma

Your work continues to be invaluable to the video community, so a heatfelt thank you!

I've been playing with demuxing EVOBs recently (they're enhanced VOBs), and had the opportunity to test AVC-ES muxing in 2.0.0.

Now, I've already tested it on more generic AVC-in-AVI streams and it's worked fine, however...

Using Graphedit, I've been able to get a very wild & wooly .264 file from an EVOB. MKVToolnix muxes it with no errors, but when played the file shows bad blocking and artifacting on almost every frame.

After finding this out, I used Yamb 1.6.0 to mux to .mp4, which subsequently played just fine. Perfect results were also achieved after muxing this .mp4 into MKV with 2.0.0.

So there is some difference between your ES handling code and MP4Box's.

I can provide the raw stream, but it's 107 MB, and I don't know of any tools to cut raw .264 streams. Maybe you can suggest something?

To finish off, many new file sources in VC-1 are coming online, and so I'd like to suggest the possibility of MKVToolnix supporting VC-1 muxing.

For example, many HD-DVDs are encoded with this new codec, but often the on-disc EVOBs are too difficult for users to play due to high CPU usage, or impossible due to HDCP requirements.

Remuxing AVC from EVOB to MKV has reduced the CPU usage at least 40%, by my latest test. It was enough to make an unplayable video playable, so this excellent format will undoubtedly also make a very significant difference in VC-1 playback performance.
Old 15th January 2007, 11:48   #15  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Just a small question: I've recently made an encode with XviD & AC3 5.1 with VDubMod directly into *.mkv container. As an error appeared during muxing the video with audio and the whole process didn't finish I decided to mux with MKVToolnix. Out of two possible ways one worked fine and one didn't:

1) Adding the final pure-video *.mkv worked just fine. I added the audio + subs + *.xml chapters and everything was ok.

2) I also extracted the resulting video from VDubMod's mkv using AVI-Mux GUI into raw MPG-4 ASP stream. MVKToolnix didn't want to swallow it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a problem for me, as the first way is an easier and faster solution, but just a matter of supporting such streams (for my own curiosity ). Am I missing sth obvious? (I'm pretty unexperienced with mkv muxing) ...
Old 15th January 2007, 13:25   #16  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
Using Graphedit, I've been able to get a very wild & wooly .264 file from an EVOB. MKVToolnix muxes it with no errors, but when played the file shows bad blocking and artifacting on almost every frame.

After finding this out, I used Yamb 1.6.0 to mux to .mp4, which subsequently played just fine. Perfect results were also achieved after muxing this .mp4 into MKV with 2.0.0.

So there is some difference between your ES handling code and MP4Box's.

I can provide the raw stream, but it's 107 MB, and I don't know of any tools to cut raw .264 streams. Maybe you can suggest something?
I don't know any tool for cutting, sorry. Just upload the full 107 MB It doesn't matter if it takes quite a while. Thanks.

Quote:
To finish off, many new file sources in VC-1 are coming online, and so I'd like to suggest the possibility of MKVToolnix supporting VC-1 muxing.
I don't really know anything about VC-1 and how to parse it. And I'm still busy with other bugs/things, so I won't invest time into VC-1 right now. But I'll keep it in mind.

Old 15th January 2007, 13:45   #17  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Quote:
I use this (uploaded it because I don't know where to get ). It's in German but the most things should be self-explanatory. Just set the size and drag the file on the chainsaw picture. It may cut every file type because it just starts an new file after the given size.

Last edited by Eragon4ever; 15th January 2007 at 13:49.
Old 15th January 2007, 21:12   #18  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
You can use a hexeditor to look for "00 00 00 01 67". Make sure that the h264 file begins with that sequence and make sure that it ends directly "before" such a sequence. Then you should have a good and clean cut.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:26   #19  |  Link
yonta

problem with muxing MPEG4 AVC ES into .mkv. mkvmerge GUI muxes it fine but no player that I have can play the muxed file. I tried VLC, MPC, Mplayer, and plain old windows built-in mplayer2 with haali's splitter and ffdshow, all players just play audio only. If I mux the same source ES first into .mp4 with mp4box then .mkv with mkvmerge GUI, it plays just fine.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:31   #20  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Quote:
problem with muxing MPEG4 AVC ES into .mkv. mkvmerge GUI muxes it fine but no player that I have can play the muxed file. I tried VLC, MPC, Mplayer, and plain old windows built-in mplayer2 with haali's splitter and ffdshow, all players just play audio only. If I mux the same source ES first into .mp4 with mp4box then .mkv with mkvmerge GUI, it plays just fine.
Confirmed. I have such files, too.
Closed Thread