Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 30th August 2018, 21:12   #721  |  Link
SaurusX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
What if I'm working with animation? Specifically Transformers Armada and The Real Ghostbusters
Some of those Real Ghostbusters episodes have 3+ frames blended. Nothing is going to undo that.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 22:00   #722  |  Link
manono

Quote:
So what's best to use for a botched NTSC -> NTSC conversion?
Still SRestore. But rather than allowing SRestore to set the default framerate (25fps for PAL sources poorly converted to NTSC and 23.976 for film sources poorly converted to PAL), you have it set for 23.976. An example:

Bob ###use your favorite bobber
Srestore(Frate=23.976)

A sample will still prove useful. However, if it's as SaurusX says you might get vastly improved, but still far from perfect results. For Srestore to work well, for every field pair you need at least one of the fields 'clean' (unblended). Depending on how much work you're willing to do, you can go through it afterwards manually to fix it with interpolation or freezeframing (since it's animation).
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 23:19   #723  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
So what's best to use for a botched NTSC -> NTSC conversion?
Post. A. Sample.
Old 30th August 2018, 23:56   #724  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Still SRestore. But rather than allowing SRestore to set the default framerate (25fps for PAL sources poorly converted to NTSC and 23.976 for film sources poorly converted to PAL), you have it set for 23.976. An example:

Bob ###use your favorite bobber
Srestore(Frate=23.976)
Will it still de-blend if I need 60hz output?

Quote:
For Srestore to work well, for every field pair you need at least one of the fields 'clean' (unblended). Depending on how much work you're willing to do, you can go through it afterwards manually to fix it with interpolation or freezeframing (since it's animation).
By field pair, do you mean frame? Both shows were edited on tape, so they have things like natively 60hz effects and sometimes orphaned fields around scene changes. What's the best solution for deblending such content?
Old 31st August 2018, 00:24   #725  |  Link
manono

Quote:
It'll do the best it can, yes. But the output won't be 60fps, not with the script I posted earlier.

Quote:
By field pair, do you mean frame?
I meant field pair, the top and bottom fields that made up the original frames before bobbing. After bobbing, yes, it would be the frame pairs - the even and odd frames each forming a pair. One from each pair has to be clean for SRestore to do its job properly.

If you want 59.94fps, then you might bob it followed by trying CDeblend. No promises, though. In the absence of a sample, neither I nor anyone else can try out different ideas.
Old 31st August 2018, 00:31   #726  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
It's generally used to deblend PAL converted to NTSC with field blending, or NTSC field blended from PAL, so you end up with 23.976fps or 25fps progressive.

Quote:
By field pair, do you mean frame? Both shows were edited on tape, so they have things like natively 60hz effects and sometimes orphaned fields around scene changes. What's the best solution for deblending such content?
It's usually converted by blending fields, not frames, and due to the way it's done, when the top fields have blending the bottom fields don't and vice versa, so after bob-interlacing and the fields are interpolated to frame height, there should always be unblended frames to keep.

This field blends NTSC to PAL, although you'd probably want to use a better bobber..

AviSource("NTSC_clip.avi")
Bob(height=576)
BicubicResize(720,576)
ConvertFPS(50)
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()

If SRestore has a hard time with animation due to it having lots of duplicate frames (it works very well for video), you can try deblending with one of these functions, but it requires some trial and error to find the best "select" value, and if the blending pattern changes (it usually doesn't), you'll have to adjust it where it breaks.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...02#post1848202

Edit: Damn! manono beat me to it.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 01:36   #727  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
It'll do the best it can, yes. But the output won't be 60fps, not with the script I posted earlier.
I mean if I set frate=59.94, will it still de-blend?

Quote:
I meant field pair, the top and bottom fields that made up the original frames before bobbing. After bobbing, yes, it would be the frame pairs - the even and odd frames each forming a pair. One from each pair has to be clean for SRestore to do its job properly.
That sounds like a very elaborate way of saying "yes".

What I'm getting out of this is that Srestore is built upon the assumption that the content was originally 100% progressive, and it should not be applied to anything that was originally edited on tape and therefore has orphaned fields around scene changes, 60hz effects, etc. Is that accurate?

Quote:
If you want 59.94fps, then you might bob it followed by trying CDeblend. No promises, though.

Quote:
In the absence of a sample, neither I nor anyone else can try out different ideas.
I just got done digging through my TF Armada episodes. I still had some un-converted VOBs in there from last year, so I had to index them all and open them in Vdub to see if they were affected. They weren't. Only episodes 27-40 are blended, but the leftover Vobs were all from 41+, so I'll have to re-rip some stuff. Give me a few hours.

EDIT: oh, this is interesting. For The Real Ghostbusters, it looks like the ABC episodes and the syndicated episodes each have their own set of "wipes". Only the ABC episodes use the 60 hz wipes, but they're also the episodes that were transferred correctly. As for the syndicated episodes, Saurus is correct; they look like they've gone through multiple rounds of blending and should probably be written off as a lost cause. Ironically, the syndicated episodes have perfectly preserved openings. I'll give you an Armada episode.

EDIT 2: here's the blended version of the TF Armada opening www.sendspace.com/file/3ldeo2

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 31st August 2018 at 02:34.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 04:48   #728  |  Link
manono

Ordinarily one wouldn't post an anime opening as a sample as they're often different from the body of the episodes. However, it's far from perfect but it's a definite improvement:

Yadifmod(mode=1, edeint=nnedi3(field=-2))
SRestore(Frate=23.976)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/7m07dp

It's 23.976fps because that's what it is. I see no benefit to making it 59.94FPS, although it can be done with:

SelectEvery(2,0,0,0,1,1)

placed at the end of the script. I didn't have much luck bobbing it and then trying to unblend that, keeping it at 59.94fps. Others might have different ideas and have better luck than I.

Quote:
What I'm getting out of this is that Srestore is built upon the assumption that the content was originally 100% progressive, and it should not be applied to anything that was originally edited on tape and therefore has orphaned fields around scene changes, 60hz effects, etc. Is that accurate?
It's far and away the best filter when working with field-blended garbage. Only the worst fly-by-night companies take film and then field-blend it to get 29.97fps out of it. Editing as video doesn't mean field-blending afterwards. Not when they could have just hard telecined it. You've worked with all those sci-fi shows before with the 60Hz effects. Those companies didn't feel the need to ruin it by field-blending it. You could just bob those and be done with them. Not this crap.
Old 31st August 2018, 17:34   #729  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I'm pretty sure field blending can be applied to both interlaced video and progressive sources, and "orphan fields" would be blended along with the rest. Using the method I posted earlier, interlaced video would be bob deinterlaced first, converted to a new frame rate with blending (50fps progressive for PAL), then fields are decimated to output interlaced video again (25fps or 50i for PAL).

I think it'd be unusual to field blend hard telecined sources, You'd convert them to a new frame rate from their progressive state.
Old 1st September 2018, 20:23   #730  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Armada DOES have orphaned fields around scene changes and therefore interruptions in the pulldown pattern. They might not be apparent in the opening but they do exist. I can rip one of the clean episodes to prove it.

Quote:
Editing as video doesn't mean field-blending afterwards. Not when they could have just hard telecined it.
Well, obviously. But that doesn't stop anyone from taking a finished episode with clean 60 hz or otherwise edited-on-tape content and then needlessly blending it anyway. That's the kind of content that I'm interested in de-blending right now.
Old 2nd September 2018, 20:19   #731  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Armada DOES have orphaned fields around scene changes and therefore interruptions in the pulldown pattern. They might not be apparent in the opening but they do exist. I can rip one of the clean episodes to prove it.
I believe you. DVDs are an interlaced format intended for CRTs expecting interlaced video. The TV draws the odd scanlines from the first field, then the even lines from the next field, and so on. As far as I know, "orphan fields" don't matter to an interlaced display because it has no concept of frames. It's only when you try to make frames.....

Anyway, I was simply saying the field blending conversion process wouldn't be concerned with orphaned fields.

Quote:
Well, obviously. But that doesn't stop anyone from taking a finished episode with clean 60 hz or otherwise edited-on-tape content and then needlessly blending it anyway. That's the kind of content that I'm interested in de-blending right now.
Where did your sample come from? If you compare the fields it appears to have been frame blended in places and it's 23.976 progressive, so maybe it was detelecined and the blending is the result blend de-interlacing combed frames, or something....

The original DVD source might be a different story, but I doubt you'll be able to fix that.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:15   #732  |  Link
Kurogane

I've a problem w ith avs+

Code:
SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)
sanimebob()
srestore()
Prefetch(6)
Give me this error "I don't know what ''dm"means. Line 4 (Prefetch)"

- MaskTools2 - v2.7.31
- TIVTC - v1.0.11
- RgTools - v0.97.0
- GRunT - grunt-x64/1.0.1a
Kurogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 13:48   #733  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane View Post
I've a problem w ith avs+

Code:
SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)
sanimebob()
srestore()
Prefetch(6)
Give me this error "I don't know what ''dm"means. Line 4 (Prefetch)"

- MaskTools2 - v2.7.31
- TIVTC - v1.0.11
- RgTools - v0.97.0
- GRunT - grunt-x64/1.0.1a
its known thing, you can't use mt (Prefetch) with any runtime function like srestore
Old 28th September 2018, 19:01   #734  |  Link
Kurogane

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
its known thing, you can't use mt (Prefetch) with any runtime function like srestore
Any solution? even outside of MT not work.
Kurogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 22:09   #735  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane View Post
Any solution? even outside of MT not work.
no solution for now (unless pinterf or anyone find fix for it)

what you mean outside of MT? you must not use Prefetch at all (remove it from the script) to make it work

Last edited by real.finder; 29th September 2018 at 14:41.
real.finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 12:54   #736  |  Link
color

The links does not longer work. Does anyone have this plugin?
Old 29th September 2018, 14:45   #737  |  Link
color

Thank you Wolfberry
Old 29th September 2018, 15:11   #738  |  Link
ChaosKing

@real.finder Why not push your scripts to github? It often feels like a quest to find the up to date version. Wouldn't it be easier for everyone?
Old 29th September 2018, 21:29   #739  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
@real.finder Why not push your scripts to github? It often feels like a quest to find the up to date version. Wouldn't it be easier for everyone?
cuz pastebin is easier for me (for now and before), but I was thinking about change to github but because of lack of time and sometimes laziness I didn't
Old 29th September 2018, 21:36   #740  |  Link
ChaosKing

I can recommend GitKraken (it's free for non commercial projects) One click and it's on github. It's even faster than pastebin
It's very easy to use and has a nice gui. https://www.gitkraken.com/

You do not want to go back afterwards.

Last edited by ChaosKing; 29th September 2018 at 21:40.
ChaosKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrestore, srestore