Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th June 2017, 19:54   #44201  |  Link
Zaoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
On a properly calibrated screen and playback chain, you should not see values above 235 or below 16.
In that case my colors are displayed correctly, but why is that?
Shouldn't 235 appear as 235, not 255? If video is going to have colors in ranges 0-16 and 235-255 they'll just get thrown away.
If I use EVR and set LAV to output 16-235 then I can actually see the whole range and color values match the number (which implies video does have those colors, but as seen in the picture those colors just disappear). Shouldn't this be the correct way?
Zaoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 20:30   #44202  |  Link
Damie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
This line only informs you of the actual used colorspace inside the stream.
Thank you! So it's the same as "Mastering display color primaries " shown by Mediainfo.

As my TV shows 96% of DCI P3 uv gamut, and only 72% of BT.2020 uv gamut, and because the source is DCI P3, I'll be selecting the latter in the TV menu.

Selecting BT.2020 in TV menu would result in oversaturation, yes? But if my TV could reproduce 100% of BT.2020 gamut, there would be no oversaturation, right?
Damie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 20:31   #44203  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you running out of Vram? check the advanced rendersteps part and see if you get spikes in finalstep.
Yep, out of vram. 2gb not enough I guess
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 21:45   #44204  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaoshi View Post
In that case my colors are displayed correctly, but why is that?
Shouldn't 235 appear as 235, not 255? If video is going to have colors in ranges 0-16 and 235-255 they'll just get thrown away.
If I use EVR and set LAV to output 16-235 then I can actually see the whole range and color values match the number (which implies video does have those colors, but as seen in the picture those colors just disappear). Shouldn't this be the correct way?
These test videos are specifically designed to include data that should not usually be visible, so that you can actually detect problems with that - ie. if you do see it, you know that its wrong.
Old 26th June 2017, 22:06   #44205  |  Link
Asmodian

To expand on what nevcairiel said, the test video is flagged as limited range but contains full range information to expose incorrect playback chains.
Old 27th June 2017, 00:16   #44206  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Yep, out of vram. 2gb not enough I guess
By setting to 4 present queue ,my 1050 2gb can play a whole 1080p upscaling to 4k without any issue

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 01:01   #44207  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaiyee View Post
By setting to 4 present queue, my 1050 2gb can play a whole 1080p upscaling to 4k without any issue.
What upscaler do you use?
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 01:22   #44208  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaiyee View Post
By setting to 4 present queue ,my 1050 2gb can play a whole 1080p upscaling to 4k without any issue

Upscaling 1080p to 4k is no problem (i often crop black bars and zoom to fill the screen, using ngu doubling for upscaling). 4k hdr downscaled to 1080p is what my card is struggling with.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 01:39   #44209  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
What upscaler do you use?
Luma ngu sharp high
Chroma superxbr 150

johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 12:25   #44210  |  Link
pankov

Hello fellow madVR users,
last week I got the chance to test my first 4K TV with HDR support (LG OLED65E6) and I was very impressed with the "punch" of the HDR picture and the OLED picture in general. I was using a few HDR demos and one of them had some external subtitles (.srt) with comments which I decided to try and I think I stumbled on an major downside of using external text subs with HDR videos with current subtitle renderers and/or madVR.
Here is the issue:
Since madVR is smart enough to turn on the HDR mode on the TV and get specular highlights in 1000+ nits (well ~500 nits on this OLED TV) while maintaining the rest of the picture at lower levels ... or even much lower in dark scenes ... the rendered subtitles (which by default are "white" - RGB 255,255,255) are blindingly bright and they have much greater area than a specular highlight and are almost hurting the eyes. This got me thinking if the way madVR and XySubFilter that I use are actually rendering the subtitles is correct. On one side XySubFilter doesn't know if the subs are rendered over an HDR or SDR video ... I think ... and the preference for font color it uses is always the same ... which makes me believe that it's madVR's job to lower the brightness of the color/white in some way (f.e. 255,255,255 = 100 nits as per SDR spec) but on the other side if there is some color/brightness information in the SRT file (I'm not 100% sure if it's possible but with other external subtitles formats it is AFAIK) how should madVR react?

So I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on the subject.
I don't have access to UHD Blu-Ray player and real movies so I'm wondering how these things designed in the real/official format.
Can you someone with access to such content share a few pictures with us? For example one picture from a dark scene with subs and a different one from a very bright scene again with subs on screen.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 22:47   #44211  |  Link
sauma144

I don't know if this can be useful for madVR.

But it seems it's possible to detect HDR support of any displays with Windows.
https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectX...12HDR.cpp#L904

Hope it's not only for latest Win10 release and/or D3D12.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 22:51   #44212  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
But it seems it's possible to detect HDR support of any displays with Windows.
https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectX...12HDR.cpp#L904

Hope it's not only for latest Win10 release and/or D3D12.
These functions require Windows 10, however it does not require D3D12 to be used.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:50   #44213  |  Link
Zaoshi

How can I improve seek times? With EVR seeking is completely instant - when I press Left / Right Arrow it seeks instantly and plays instantly, almost as if there was no seek, but with madVR it takes up to a few seconds to start playing after seek - audio plays but video is frozen on a frame before seek.
Old 29th June 2017, 18:24   #44214  |  Link
e-t172

Reducing queue sizes (especially "frames to present in advance") should have a positive effect on seek responsiveness. Don't set them too low though, otherwise you might increase the likelihood of frame drops.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 18:42   #44215  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
How can I improve seek times? With EVR seeking is completely instant - when I press Left / Right Arrow it seeks instantly and plays instantly, almost as if there was no seek, but with madVR it takes up to a few seconds to start playing after seek - audio plays but video is frozen on a frame before seek.
Hi!

You could check whether the "delay playback start after seeking too" or it's parent is unchecked in the general settings section. Otherwise you'll certainly get slower seek times.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 19:41   #44216  |  Link
Zaoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Reducing queue sizes (especially "frames to present in advance") should have a positive effect on seek responsiveness. Don't set them too low though, otherwise you might increase the likelihood of frame drops.
Tried setting CPU, GPU, and Present queues to minimum but it had only minimal effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!

You could check whether the "delay playback start after seeking too" or it's parent is unchecked in the general settings section. Otherwise you'll certainly get slower seek times.
It's not turned on, but turning it on when queues are set to minimal actually makes it work better than without delay.
To be honest, it's better even with maxed out queues.

Edit:
I just tried madVR 0.90 and it doesn't have this issue with same settings. Actually, it's nearly as fast as EVR.

Last edited by Zaoshi; 29th June 2017 at 19:57.
Old 30th June 2017, 04:17   #44217  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
I just had this issue, took me a couple days to resolve, the problem was related to windows creator update. It left the install files and recovery files on my hdd. Limiting my remaining hdd space down to 20gb. I ran disk cleanup and removed all the recovery files/ install files and junk. Once done madvr went back to normal performance. The strange part was no other programs seemed to be affected.

Make your queue sizes 8 for gpu and 12 for cpu and leave them there. I normally set my my 'frames to present in advance' at 8.

Last edited by austonrush; 30th June 2017 at 04:20.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 07:56   #44218  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Tried setting CPU, GPU, and Present queues to minimum but it had only minimal effect.
Have you tried resetting to defaults via the batch file? Might want to back up first..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 10:55   #44219  |  Link
Zaoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Have you tried resetting to defaults via the batch file? Might want to back up first..
Just tried this. All issues have disappeared so I did some poking. This problem seems to arise only when I'm using NGU. Even when I set NNEDI3 to 256 neurons (100 ms frame time) it still seeks faster than NGU (30 ms).
Also, this seems to occur only when video is playing. If I pause and start seeking it's instant.
Old 30th June 2017, 17:22   #44220  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Also, this seems to occur only when video is playing. If I pause and start seeking it's instant.
Maybe itīs a better strategy to spend more time watching videos than seeking something within them I donīt quite understand why here and there often comes up the topic of perfect performant seeking. What the heck is permanently to be sought in videos? Start a movie, lean back and enjoy
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling