Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 25th January 2007, 15:59   #1  |  Link
orbitlee

Add external subtitles in HD DVD

Since english is not my native language, so I'd like to add external subtitles when watching HD DVD. Here is the method I use to add a simplified chinese external subtitle.

In VPLST000.XPL,

Code:
      <PrimaryAudioVideoClip titleTimeBegin="00:00:00:00" titleTimeEnd="01:11:37:47" src="file:///dvddisc/HVDVD_TS/FEATURE_1.MAP" dataSource="Disc">
        <Video track="1" mediaAttr="1" />
        <Audio track="1" streamNumber="1" mediaAttr="1" description="English 5.1" />
        <Audio track="2" streamNumber="2" mediaAttr="1" description="English DTS-HD 5.1" />
        <Audio track="3" streamNumber="5" mediaAttr="1" description="Commentary with David Twohy, Karl Urban And Alexa Davalos 2.0" />
        <Subtitle track="1" streamNumber="1" mediaAttr="1" description="English SDH" />
      </PrimaryAudioVideoClip>
      <PrimaryAudioVideoClip titleTimeBegin="01:11:37:47" titleTimeEnd="02:13:56:22" src="file:///dvddisc/HVDVD_TS/FEATURE_2.MAP" dataSource="Disc" seamless="true">
        <Video track="1" mediaAttr="1" />
        <Audio track="1" streamNumber="1" mediaAttr="1" description="English 5.1" />
        <Audio track="2" streamNumber="2" mediaAttr="1" description="English DTS-HD 5.1" />
        <Audio track="3" streamNumber="5" mediaAttr="1" description="Commentary with David Twohy, Karl Urban And Alexa Davalos 2.0" />
        <Subtitle track="1" streamNumber="1" mediaAttr="1" description="English SDH" />
      </PrimaryAudioVideoClip>
      <AdvancedSubtitleSegment src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/chs.xmf" titleTimeBegin="00:00:00:00" titleTimeEnd="02:13:56:22" sync="hard">
      	<Subtitle track="2" />
          <ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/chs.xmf" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
          <ApplicationResource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/chs.xas" loadingBegin="00:00:00:00" priority="1" multiplexed="false" />
      </AdvancedSubtitleSegment>
      <TrackNavigationList>
        <AudioTrack track="1" langcode="en:01" selectable="true" />
        <AudioTrack track="2" langcode="en:01" selectable="true" />
        <AudioTrack track="3" langcode="en:03" selectable="true" />
        <SubtitleTrack track="1" langcode="en:01" selectable="true" />
        <SubtitleTrack track="2" langcode="zh:01" selectable="true" />
      </TrackNavigationList>
In chs.xmf

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Application xmlns="http://www.dvdforum.org/2005/HDDVDVideo/Manifest">
    <Region x="0" y="0" width="1920" height="1080" />
    <Markup src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/chs.xas" />
    <Resource src="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/chs.xas" />
</Application>
In chs.xas

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="gb2312"?>
<root xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.dvdforum.org/2005/ihd" xmlns:style="http://www.dvdforum.org/2005/ihd#style" xmlns:state="http://www.dvdforum.org/2005/ihd#state">
    <head>
        <styling>
            <style id="simsun" style:font="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/simsun.ttc" style:fontSize="100px" style:color="rgba(128, 128, 128, 255)" style:textAlign="center" />
            <style id="mingliu" style:font="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/mingliu.ttc" style:fontSize="100px" style:color="rgba(128, 128, 128, 255)" style:textAlign="center" />
		</styling>
	</head>
	<body xml:base="file:///dvddisc/ADV_OBJ/">
	  	<div style:position="absolute" style:x="10%" style:y="90%" style:width="80%" style:height="10%">
			<p style="simsun" begin="00:01:21:74" end="00:01:24:30">gb2312 chinese character at here…</p>
			<p style="simsun" begin="00:02:21:74" end="00:02:24:30">gb2312 chinese character at here…</p>
			<p style="simsun" begin="00:03:21:74" end="00:03:24:30">gb2312 chinese character at here…</p>
		</div>
	</body>
</root>
orbitlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 16:01   #2  |  Link
orbitlee

I wrote a small program to convert existing srt to xas. It only supports simplified chinese and traditional chinese.
Feel free to modify the source code to support more languages and customizations.

Usage: srt2xas <srt file> <xas file> <encoding>
Encoding: chs or cht

Edit: this method only works on PDVD 7.x Ultra, not 6.5

Edit: Fixed a bug which handle some XML special characters
whitespace, <, > , &, ', " incorrectly.
Attached Files
File Type: rar srt2xas.rar (32.1 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by orbitlee; 27th January 2007 at 08:52.
orbitlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 19:23   #3  |  Link
mikeathome

Hi,
is there a 'simple' way to just change the location of an existing subtitle stream. The ReadItClear feature from PowerDVD is not working for me.

Thanks,
mike
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 11:13   #4  |  Link
nikopaha

Do you have any idea how I can outline subtitles, so it is easier to read?
nikopaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 11:52   #5  |  Link
zoolook

any idea how to connect external subtitles to Blu-Ray movies (memento for example)?

Last edited by zoolook; 17th February 2007 at 18:57.
zoolook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 19:25   #6  |  Link
Kiriakos

Thanks to orbitlee for the tool and the knowledge that shared with us.
I am having trouble with the method though. I am doing all those things and the subs are selectable throught he PDVD 7.1 but when selected, nothing of them on the screen. I am wondering if there is somethng that i am doing wrong. The .xas file looks ok, the others also, PDVD reacts to the .XPL insert of Advanced subtitle line but when it must show them, nothing. If anyone has been through this with success (or orbitlee his self-please), please post your files-inputs or send them to take a look on them. I am from Greece and we have only one (yes 1 ) title with subs!

@orbitlee: I think that your programm can do the convertion for greeks as is. Is that true or i have to do something with the code of srt2xas? Thanks again.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kiriakos
Kiriakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 05:30   #7  |  Link
bass4040

I didn't know this was possible. I assumed it had to be authored from the studio. I would like to do that for Oldboy (Jap) in hd-dvd if it's possible. It doesn't have english subs.
bass4040 is offline   Reply With Quote