Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 12th February 2014, 18:25   #1  |  Link
gx240

Different file size after changing container format

I was looking for a way to convert .ts files to .mkv without modifying/re-encoding the audio and video, and a quick Google search told me that MKVToolNix is ideal for doing this. I just tested it by converting a few videos with h264 video and aac audio in .ts containers to mkv.

It seems like everything worked fine, and the process was nearly instant. However I notice that there is a difference in file size after conversion. The new mkv files seem to be about 5-10% smaller than the ts originals. I was under the impression that the container format contributed little or nothing to the overall file size, so changing it should have little effect. Is that incorrect, or have I lost something else in the conversion process? I don't think I've inadvertently re-encoded or modified the video/audio in any way. (I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with this software.) Re-encoding usually takes a noticeable amount of time and system resources, right?
gx240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 18:27   #2  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

TS files can contain (useless) filler data to achieve a certain fixed bitrate. MKVToolNix removes this filler data, which is why the resulting MKV files are a few percent smaller.
Additionally, TS has a bigger overhead than MKV, so its expected for files to be smaller - how much I cannot say for sure.

Tags
container, convert, mkv, size