Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd November 2013, 13:05   #1  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

MPC-HC, LAV, And the Art of Subtitle flags. Help, please

Hi folks,

With help from folks like mindbomb and nevcairiel in other threads I've got my subs playing mostly fine in MPC-HC (recent stable release 1.71)., using built-in LAV.

I'm down to one sticky issue that I can't seem to get past, though.

Some portion of my files were created with the subtitle track default flag missing. As in, not there at all. Not set to NO but actually not present at all. I didn't realize this until I went into a few questionable titles with the MKVMerge header editor, and found the tracks didn't have the flag element, at all. I've found this in content ripped from DVDs and BDs. A current example is Damages season 5 (all the files), in which there are two tracks, the first has no default flag at all, the second track it is set to no.

The problem is these tracks without default n/y flags get interpreted by software as default = Y. For example, if I look at it in MediaInfoGUI, it shows YES for default for these tracks. And the combo of LAV plus MPC-HC seems to consider these as Default=YES, and automatically plays the stream if I've got a rule up that tracks with default = yes should show.

My current rule (set in the LAV splitter subtitle Advanced selection criteria) is:

eng:eng|f;eng:eng|d;engff;*:

Meaning, if there's a forced sub track set to yes, play it, otherwise pick a default track which is set to yes, otherwise turn off subtitles for English language content. And this works perfectly as far as I have tested it, EXCEPT for titles without default flags at all, which are interpreted as default YES, and subs play that I don't want.

My question is, is there a setting somewhere to get LAV or MPC-HC to treat absent default track flags as equal to default = NO instead of the current behavior where they are treated as YES?

My library of mkvs was created mostly by MakeMKV, a few a while back by AnotherEAC3toGUI+, one or two by ClownBD... but mostly MakeMKV.

Going in title by title to change flags isn't in the cards. My library isn't that big, really, but a software solution about handling the absent flags would be better.

Any thoughts about this? Other than this one issue, all is well.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Marc

PS: I have a thread over on the MakeMKV forum, and while there are options within it to set the first track as default=yes, it doesn't seem yet like there's a possibility to get it to stop making tracks completely without the default flag.

Last edited by Frankenscript; 22nd November 2013 at 13:08.
Frankenscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:18   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript View Post
My question is, is there a setting somewhere to get LAV or MPC-HC to treat absent default track flags as equal to default = NO instead of the current behavior where they are treated as YES?
No, there is not.

Please note that the "FlagDefault" element is "mandatory" and has to be interpreted as "1" if absent according to the Matroska specs.

http://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html
http://matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 22nd November 2013 at 13:24.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:25   #3  |  Link
Frankenscript
Longtime Lurker

Makes sense. If we don't defend the standard, pretty soon there won't be a standard to defend.

I will handle it with existing content and work with makemkv re: avoiding this for the future.
Frankenscript is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
default, lav, mpc-hc, subs, subtitle