Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2015, 00:15   #1  |  Link
papcom

Compatiblity of Mpeg2 for DVD via FFMpeg

I use FFMpeg as an external Encoder in Virtual Dub. Actually I am trying to encode a DVD compatible Mpeg2 Stream. Although my m2v files play well in mediaplayer, they are not accepted by the DVD Authoring Programm (Adobe Encore).

I use the following command arguments:
Code:
-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -c:v mpeg2video -pix_fmt yuv420p -q:v 3 -qmin 1 -g 12 "%(tempvideofile)"
What can be the Problem of incompatibility.

I have a similar Problem with the AC3 file, which I encode with aften. It plays in my preview player but the file is not accepted by Adobe Encore and therefore encore wants to re-encode it again.

Code:
-b 256 - "%(tempaudiofile)"
Old 22nd March 2015, 07:36   #2  |  Link
DarrellS

Virtualdub External Encoder:

Main Tab::::::::::
Type:::::::::::::: Audio encoder
Program::::::::::: C:\Tools\aften.exe
Command Arguments: -b 192 - "%(tempaudiofile)"
Output filename::: %(outputname).ac3
Launch parameters: checkmark first three boxes
Audio Tab::::::::: WAV file - Bypass compression

Allowed bitrates: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320, 384, 448, 512, 576, 640

PAL
C:\Tools\ffmpeg.exe
-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vcodec mpeg2video -target pal-dvd "%(tempvideofile)"
%(outputname).m2v

NTSC
-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vcodec mpeg2video -target ntsc-dvd "%(tempvideofile)"
%(outputname).m2v

24p
-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vcodec mpeg2video -target film-dvd "%(tempvideofile)"
%(outputname).m2v

AC3
C:\Tools\aften.exe
-b 192 - "%(tempaudiofile)"
%(outputname).ac3
(Wav file - Bypass compression - full processing mode)

AC3-Passthrough
-i - -acodec copy "%(tempaudiofile)"
%(outputname).ac3
(raw audio - set direct stream copy)

ffmpeg isn't the greatest mpeg2 encoder but it's the better of the two possible cli encoders. The best encoders don't accept stdin "-" so they can't encode the video using the external encoder but Virtualdub still supports frameserving to the better encoders.

I haven't authored and burnt a DVD in years so I'm not much help here.
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:20   #3  |  Link
GMJCZP

I recommend you post video data from MediaInfo and the program GSpot (especially this!, you will make a screenshot). Thus, one can see what is not compliant DVD specification.
GMJCZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:28   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

The MPEG-2 video stream has to conform to the DVD specification. Some of the more basic information can be found here.

Also, the MPEG-2 video stream will need to be encoded with the correct 'key-frames' (I-frame) gap, which is 12 for PAL and 15 for NTSC video. Along with the correct 'picture' frame type pattern (between the I-frames), which is IPBBPBBPBBPI for PAL and IPBBPBBPBBPBBPI for NTSC. Collectively, this is known as a 'Group Of Pictures'.

There's more to generating a DVD compliant MPEG-2 video stream than you'd think. And that's before you get to generating a DVD compliant audio stream

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 22nd March 2015 at 15:47.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 15:43   #5  |  Link
papcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
Virtualdub External Encoder:ffmpeg isn't the greatest mpeg2 encoder but it's the better of the two possible cli encoders. The best encoders don't accept stdin "-" so they can't encode the video using the external encoder but Virtualdub still supports frameserving to the better encoders.
which would be the better Encoder for really good Mpeg2 for DVD. And how is frameserving working with this "better" Encoder?