Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 22nd May 2022, 03:23   #19481  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Pauly Dunne: You have a lot of scripts. Most would not run on my system since I don't have a GPU. So you may want to add a GPU/CPU in the name or provide a different folders with GPU and CPU optimized scripts. You may also want to condense the scripts into an advanced vs simplified. Perhaps just have 4-5 scripts from very light to very hard and then all the other scripts in a different folder for those that want to try all the different options and alternatives to SMDegrain.
Hello again,

You're like a dog with a bone....VERY particular (which is good)

Yes, I realise there are a LOT of scripts, and I doubt that many of them would get used, once the user has "favourite's", then they could quite easily copy the others to another folder, and greatly reduce the drop down list.

As for using a different folder, for different type or category's, how would you "call them up" from within RipBot ???

The only way I've known is to have EVERYTHING in the Custom folder, so it is available with the "Custom Script" option "box".

If you create a New Folder within the Custom Folder, it does not show up in the Custom Script list !!!!

So if you know a way to do that, please let me know, and I will add it !!!

Same goes for Advanced & Simplified, how ???

However, I do like your suggestion of using CPU or GPU in the scripts name

Anyway, it's a good base for users to start with, and customise to meet their own requirements, and remove the rest.

I have downloaded your 2 sample's, and I will have to run them on a PC, but I DID noticed they are a very high bitrate, coming from you (I know they are only tests), but the Blade Runner sample @ CQ18, was around 6700kb/s, and todays were in the low to mid 40mb/s.

So keep up the good work, and if you have any suggestions / changes or additions, please let me know.....Upward & Onward

Cheers & thanks.
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:58   #19482  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:

SMDegrain E-H KNL: (does not work, probably needs GPU)
I stumbled across some new/old info about OpenCL support for Intel CPU's that maybe you could suss out (I know I'm going to try again).

Atak posted this on another Forum :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...19#post1969319

So I downloaded the Intel OpenCL Driver (needs an Intel account,tho).

So if you wanted to try a KNLMeansCL script without a GPU, you could mod the script to use device_type="CPU".

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:27   #19483  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I have downloaded your 2 sample's, and I will have to run them on a PC, but I DID noticed they are a very high bitrate, coming from you (I know they are only tests), but the Blade Runner sample @ CQ18, was around 6700kb/s, and todays were in the low to mid 40mb/s.
This is why I like Constant Quality. I'm not wasting bits if they are not needed. Even after degraining there was still some grain and as such CQ raised the bit rate to make sure the quality of the entire scene was the same as the whole clip. Another example is Avengers Endgame 4K is so clean the entire 3 hour movie comes out to 5.76 GiB (4553 kb/s bit rate) without any degraining whatsoever using CQ18. ideally, if you watched Endgame with a CQ18 and x265, it should be visually indistinguishable to an encode with hard bit rate of 90 Mb/s.

Using CQ also allows me to judge how clean the output is. I had another 4K movie that looked pretty clean and just had some light grain and it came out to be 18GB in size using CQ18 with no degraining. Just adding a little MDegrain2 with a thSAD=100 brought the file size down to 8GB still with CQ18. There really is no downside to using constant quality. Only reason I see to use a hard bit rate is if I'm trying to fit it on a medium that has a finite size limitation.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:31   #19484  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
So if you wanted to try a KNLMeansCL script without a GPU, you could mod the script to use device_type="CPU".
I think SMDegrain gives me the all the options I want at this point. The prefilter options and sharpening that actually works instead of adding artifacts like my tests gave me before. I'm very happy with SMDegrain at this point and I'll be creating scripts using it almost exclusively.
Old 23rd May 2022, 03:33   #19485  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:

Yes, I realise there are a LOT of scripts, and I doubt that many of them would get used, once the user has "favourite's", then they could quite easily copy the others to another folder, and greatly reduce the drop down list.

As for using a different folder, for different type or category's, how would you "call them up" from within RipBot ???

The only way I've known is to have EVERYTHING in the Custom folder, so it is available with the "Custom Script" option "box".

If you create a New Folder within the Custom Folder, it does not show up in the Custom Script list !!!!

So if you know a way to do that, please let me know, and I will add it !!!

Same goes for Advanced & Simplified, how ???

So keep up the good work, and if you have any suggestions / changes or additions, please let me know.....Upward & Onward

Cheers & thanks.
Hi Ryushin,

Hi, can you please comment on this...

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:44   #19486  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Hi Ryushin,

Hi, can you please comment on this...

Thanks
Since you can't have subfolders and such, my suggestions would be something like the following:

In the custom scripts, have only about a dozen scripts with generic names, such as:
SMDegrain_GPU_Light/Medium/Hard/Very_Hard
SMDegrain_CPU_Light/Medium/Hard/Very_Hard

Then in your install instructions, provide another folder with the advanced scripts and tell them them where to place them. I would also add the requirements in the script name, such as GPU, CPU, AVX2, etc.

Then the install instructions can also have an advanced section and you can lay out what HQD3D (which I think can only do 8-bit color), CQTMGC, BM3D, etc, can do. Maybe even provide a link that has more details such as that link I provided for SMDegrain.

In the beginning, all the scripts will overwhelm someone. There is also probably quite a bit of overlap. Such as is using BM3D going to give better results than just SMDegrain, and if so, what are the advantages/disadvantages.
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:53   #19487  |  Link
Ryushin

SMDegrain - Issue and Another Solution

Quote:
So I encoded Invasion of the Body Snatchers 4K over last night and I started watching it this morning and I encountered a problem in one of the scenes in the movie.

It's a dark scene with two people talking and their faces are in the light. If you watch the women's cheek you will see that seems degrain for a quarter second, then not degrain, and back and forth. It was very odd.

I extracted that 90 second scene out and looked it it in detail and the source has some odd grain around the women's cheek and that is probably where the problem occurs. I ran a bunch of tests using different options against the sample in order to find out how to solve the problem. Reducing the block size from the default of 16 to 8 solved the problem. As a bonus the file size was 11% smaller than before using the default block size. Encoding takes a hit since I'm essentially quadrupling the number of blocks to analyze. Encoding was about 30-40% slower.

Link to the sample source and the two encoded files (link valid for two weeks):
https://cloud.chrisdos.com/s/6JkTfF2etSo8Ln8

I've changed my scripts to use a block size of 8 now:
SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,thSCD2=80,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true,blksize=8)
So the encoding performance hit was pretty significant probably closer to 50% slower, so I did some more testing. Removing the thSCD2=80 option (which changes it back to it's default of 130) fixed the problem as well. I know Ripmann changed the option because the scene change detection was not being detected properly and it was merging frames that were not related to each other. Perhaps since SMDegrain brightens to the scene to find more grain before degraining the scene detection will work better. I guess we'll see what happens as I'll go back to using the default of thSCD2=130 by leaving the option out.
Old 24th May 2022, 07:43   #19488  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Since you can't have subfolders and such, my suggestions would be something like the following:

In the custom scripts, have only about a dozen scripts with generic names, such as:
SMDegrain_GPU_Light/Medium/Hard/Very_Hard
SMDegrain_CPU_Light/Medium/Hard/Very_Hard

Then in your install instructions, provide another folder with the advanced scripts and tell them them where to place them. I would also add the requirements in the script name, such as GPU, CPU, AVX2, etc.

Then the install instructions can also have an advanced section and you can lay out what HQD3D (which I think can only do 8-bit color), CQTMGC, BM3D, etc, can do. Maybe even provide a link that has more details such as that link I provided for SMDegrain.

In the beginning, all the scripts will overwhelm someone. There is also probably quite a bit of overlap. Such as is using BM3D going to give better results than just SMDegrain, and if so, what are the advantages/disadvantages.
Hi, thanks for that...that IS a lot of work, and again, there are so many variants of all the pre-filters, I wouldn't know where to start, and where to put what....maybe a bit re-naming & explanation might be enough, and the user can sort it out to their liking.

I know there's a LOT that I personally wouldn't use.

I'll have a good look at it, when I get the chance...maybe I'll get a "lightbulb" moment
Old 24th May 2022, 08:08   #19489  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
So the encoding performance hit was pretty significant probably closer to 50% slower, so I did some more testing. Removing the thSCD2=80 option (which changes it back to it's default of 130) fixed the problem as well. I know Ripmann changed the option because the scene change detection was not being detected properly and it was merging frames that were not related to each other. Perhaps since SMDegrain brightens to the scene to find more grain before degraining the scene detection will work better. I guess we'll see what happens as I'll go back to using the default of thSCD2=130 by leaving the option out.
So I had a look at those clips you posted, and you must have a very good eye for "defect's", I don't think I could pick it...but it lead you to modding the script until it's fixed...

So, I can't help but notice you're are mainly using the Extra Hard (might have a name change soon), scripts, and only changing the "tr=" value, and maybe the pre-filter #.

With the Light, Medium & Hard scripts the "tr=" value is changed, along with a lot of the "th" type values, have you tried any of them for lesser noisy sources ??

Also, I had another good look at the SMDegrain link's info, and it would be interesting to try this script :-

Quote:
I've changed my scripts to use a block size of 8 now:
SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,thSCD2=80,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true,blksize=8)
SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,thSCD1=300,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true,blksize=8)

I think thSCD1 works in conjunction with blksize values.

And you could leave thSCD2 out (like you mentioned)

I wonder if there's some way to incorporate a 2 pass SMDegrain run, like here (and the post below):-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...68#post1969268

Anyway, regardless to all that, I'm just so happy that you have finally come around to using & preferring SMDegrain, it was one aim of mine, when I started doing all these additions, so thankyou

And please, if you come up with some different scripts or filters, don't forget to let me know, either here on the Forum, a PM, or email.

PS:- It would be interesting to try these out on the Jetson's, and see what result you get, even though you're happy with how you did them, several months back.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:45   #19490  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
So, I can't help but notice you're are mainly using the Extra Hard (might have a name change soon), scripts, and only changing the "tr=" value, and maybe the pre-filter #.

With the Light, Medium & Hard scripts the "tr=" value is changed, along with a lot of the "th" type values, have you tried any of them for lesser noisy sources ??

Anyway, regardless to all that, I'm just so happy that you have finally come around to using & preferring SMDegrain, it was one aim of mine, when I started doing all these additions, so thank you

PS:- It would be interesting to try these out on the Jetson's, and see what result you get, even though you're happy with how you did them, several months back.
I had been keeping Invasion of the Body Snatches ripped to do testing against SMDegrain, just needed the time and motivation to do it. For 95% of everything, MDegrain2 did a fantastic job and sometimes if it "works" just leave it alone. I appreciate your work to bring SMDegrain and other tools to RipBot. Now if only Atak would integrate SMDegrain into it and it would be nice to hear from him more often.

But those super grainy sources always bothered me and I did not like using MDegrain3 because of the blurring I saw in skin textures when there was movement. SMDegrain seems to do really well and the results are natural looking.

I have not tested any lighter grainy sources yet, but I feel it will at least do as well as MDegrain2. I probably won't be doing any blurring/sharpening on the lighter sources. I'll start with the tr=2 for lighter degrain and tr=4 probably for medium degrain. Strangely, the tr=2 would be the equivalent of MDegrain2 and tr=8 would be MDegrain8. But the file size difference between tr=2 and tr=8 was dramatic and I saw no blurring issues like when just using MDegrain3. Encoding performance is still good using tr=8. I tried tr=12 trying to solve the issue I mentioned but the slow down was not worth it.

I have Superman The Animated Series still up on the server. I have a run with MDegrain2 and using Handbrake with NLMeans animation Tune. I'll run SMDegrain against it as well to see where it ends up and compare the three. Jetsons and Flintstones I'll probably just leave alone as the results from Handbrake are stunning, just the encoding was so slow it was just painful to do.
Old 26th May 2022, 17:00   #19491  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirulentPip View Post
The reason I ask is that I have the Encoding Client on my Gaming PC as I have a very high TBW NVME drive on here and I like to have the Ripbot stuff open on a second monitor. However when a new one starts the Encoding Client will either minimise the game if in Fullscreen or appear on top if in Windowed Borderless, it doesn't appear on top if keep the Encoding Client on Primary Monitor while in Windowed Borderless.
keep it minimized while gaming
Quote:
Hello again,

I did some more testing on my "slow" dual E5-2697v2 yesterday, and tried all sorts of setting's to see if I could get some performance back.

And I ended up changing a couple of x265 commands, and filter settings.

I even tried NUMA & no NUMA, and with NUMA enabled, made a very noticeable speed increase, and if you only use 2 encoding port address's, you have one for /node 0, and one for /node 1...nice.
That's what it's for, for 2 CPUs
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 01:30   #19492  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
That's what it's for, for 2 CPUs
Hi slalom, you haven't posted in quite a while...

I kind of agree, but it's not always the best option.

Depending on the workload.

Old 27th May 2022, 17:46   #19493  |  Link
Axelstrife

Hi, Is there there a guide of some sort for the distributed encoding? i'm trying to figure why it isn't working for me.

Ive got encoding servers open on both PC's and both PC's Ip's entered into the encoding client on the main PC both say online, but when i add a movie to encode and hit start it just says "please wait" and then after a minute or two says "All jobs finished" pop up notification despite nothing actually happening.

Ive got both PC's windows firewall disabled to eliminate that as the issue.
I have read about some software causing issues which is why i reinstalled windows on one PC and the other received a fresh reinstall about three days ago and only has 6 programs installed since then (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd, media info, 7zip)

Is there a port that needs to be open? ive got no idea why this isnt working
Axelstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 21:59   #19494  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Record your desktop and upload your video somewhere. This way I will see what you see and help me to identify your issue.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 23:24   #19495  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Hi slalom, you haven't posted in quite a while...

I kind of agree, but it's not always the best option.

Depending on the workload.
I am around...
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 01:52   #19496  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelstrife View Post
Hi, Is there there a guide of some sort for the distributed encoding? i'm trying to figure why it isn't working for me.

Ive got encoding servers open on both PC's and both PC's Ip's entered into the encoding client on the main PC both say online, but when i add a movie to encode and hit start it just says "please wait" and then after a minute or two says "All jobs finished" pop up notification despite nothing actually happening.

Ive got both PC's windows firewall disabled to eliminate that as the issue.
I have read about some software causing issues which is why i reinstalled windows on one PC and the other received a fresh reinstall about three days ago and only has 6 programs installed since then (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd, media info, 7zip)

Is there a port that needs to be open? ive got no idea why this isnt working
Hi, you posted a very similar "question" nearly 3 years ago...you were having problems with DE....did you fix it, back then ??

You've listed the programs you've installed, BUT have you got an nVidia GPU, as the drivers (or part there of) can cause a lot of problems.

And apparently some Logitech stuff, does to.

Maybe you need to go back to your 1st post, and see what replies you got....their might be a "fix" mentioned back then.

As long as the other PC(s) have slightly different IP address's, and on the same group, it should work.

It's probably something simple, but it's frustrating !!!!

If you can't get it to work, do what Atak suggested, and he WILL be able to help, I'm sure.

Old 28th May 2022, 07:02   #19497  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Record your desktop and upload your video somewhere. This way I will see what you see and help me to identify your issue.
Here you go, i am recording from Gaming PC and remoting into my plex server PC.
https://youtu.be/GJAZRLf6dzA
Old 28th May 2022, 07:13   #19498  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Hi, you posted a very similar "question" nearly 3 years ago...you were having problems with DE....did you fix it, back then ??

You've listed the programs you've installed, BUT have you got an nVidia GPU, as the drivers (or part there of) can cause a lot of problems.

And apparently some Logitech stuff, does to.

Maybe you need to go back to your 1st post, and see what replies you got....their might be a "fix" mentioned back then.

As long as the other PC(s) have slightly different IP address's, and on the same group, it should work.

It's probably something simple, but it's frustrating !!!!

If you can't get it to work, do what Atak suggested, and he WILL be able to help, I'm sure.
The issue back then was different, i actually did have that issue this time but i solved it and then ran into this issue.

both PC's have Nvidia GPU's RTX 3090 and GT 720(9900kf in this PC doesn't have igpu) ive not installed any drivers from Nvidia's website yet so it's only whatever drivers windows uses.
No logitech software is installed

I posted a Youtube link the a screen recording showing exactly what happens in reply to Atak.
Old 28th May 2022, 07:39   #19499  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelstrife View Post
Here you go, i am recording from Gaming PC and remoting into my plex server PC.
https://youtu.be/GJAZRLf6dzA
Hi,

I have just watched this clip, and unfortunately, it's not really clear enough to see exactly what's going on. (It helped a little when I put my glasses on).

You might want to change the UAC settings, so you don't get that popup warning.

What happens if you don't use DE, just the single basic encode ???

Are you using the Pauly Dunne build ???

I use that, and don't have any issues...

Do you have any other PC's you can connect to ??

Old 28th May 2022, 08:16   #19500  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Hi,

I have just watched this clip, and unfortunately, it's not really clear enough to see exactly what's going on. (It helped a little when I put my glasses on).

You might want to change the UAC settings, so you don't get that popup warning.

What happens if you don't use DE, just the single basic encode ???

Are you using the Pauly Dunne build ???

I use that, and don't have any issues...

Do you have any other PC's you can connect to ??
THANKYOU!, Your comment just lead me to figure out why it wasn't working.

I was manually opening "encoding client" not knowing it would automatically open when i start an encode which i just discovered when attempting to encode only on a single PC but i didn't turn off distributed encoding in the settings so the encoding client popped up.

Thanks for the UAC tip, those are annoying.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360