Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 2nd January 2011, 10:19   #1  |  Link
PLC401

Help needed with Flaxen's De-Ghosting filter (fxdeghost) issue

Hi folks,

First off, I do hope this is the appropriate place! I've been dealing with a lot of analogue ghosted footage off tape; I've had the Flaxen De-Ghosting VDub filter for years now and every so often have searched for documentation or help online, but have found none. So as a last resort, looking for someone here who can give proper assistance with this potentially useful filter, or direct me to someone who can.

The main issue with the filter isn't that I can't get it to identify anything per se - the default values actually do appear to detect the problem areas better than anything else - but the instead of reducing the ghosting, the defaults are for some reason *increasing* the ghost brightness instead; this is the issue.

It's the only filter I've tried that seems to have intuitively identified the ghosting in the way I am looking for (the shifting-based Exorcist filter has failed on the specific issue I'm trying to fix as it removes one ghost and creates another; so that's not an option here).

Essentially, I require some way of knowing how to 'invert' the settings of fxdeghost, so that it is reducing the ghosting brightness in the areas it is currently increasing.

I've already tried colour-inverting the footage itself just to see if that would work (out of sheer desperation!), but obviously that did not - it's clearly detecting ghosts in the same way regardless of the video colours, so it seems the change has to be done within the filter values. I experimented previously, and if I change the values too much from the default, then it no longer identifies the ghost areas at all. It's a frustrating situation.

Would be great to be able to sort this out, as the filter appears to know what to de-ghost by default, it's just affecting their brightness in the opposite way to what's needed - thanks guys.

Paul
PLC401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fxdeghost, virtualdub