Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 25th June 2021, 01:50   #19181  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Just updated and immediately noticed that the output line is now editable. Thanks a lot, Atak. Major time saver. I don't think I'll ever be using the Save As dialog anymore.
I "told" you about this, age's ago....have you been hiding under a rock ?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...90#post1945290

Quote:
I have a quick noob question: is there a lossy codec similar to AC3 that allows you to keep all 7.1 channels, not just 5.1? I can't afford to use uncompressed DTS or TrueHD audio and having the audio track being almost the same size (if not more) as the video track, but I'd like to keep all channels at least for some of the encodes as well. Is there a solution for this? I'm sure there must be, but I just got my first modest 7.1 system and this is the first time I have to worry about this.
You must be compressing your encodes down a LOT, if the audio track is a similar size to the video track.
Old 25th June 2021, 02:02   #19182  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormMeows View Post
Thank you! I am glad to hear that it is newb friendly. I am going to do research on these advanced settings. Trial and error is going to be key. When I do a sample, how do I know what scenes of movies to test? Are there certain scenes that I need to test (like dark scenes or action sequences)? Or do I just encode the first 10 minutes of a film and compare it to the original? Is there a best practice that I can use for testing the samples so I can ensure I don't waste a whole day on an encode and there is tons of pixelation or similar in the final result? Thank you!
Hi StormMeows,

I wouldn't exactly say it was "newb" / "noob" friendly, but it is fairly easy to use, and I'm not too sure about these "Advanced Setting's" either, they're just "setting's" !!!

I'd say the complicated function of RipBot is the Distributed Encoding, now once you've sorted that out, you'll never look back.

Do you have more than one PC ???

What have you got in mind for your "new" encoding PC ???, something pretty powerful, I would suggest !!! (Ryzen 9 5950X)

Also, what is you main objective, meaning do you do a lot of 4K encoding ??

After reading your recent posts on other Forums, you have a pretty powerful system already, and also from what I understand, encoding & re encoding, is just a waste of time & energy (electricity), as you want to basically keep the movies "as is" !!!

SO...

If you want to keep the original size & quality of any of your video's (especially 4K), you'd be just as well off running them thru MKVToolNix, and removing any video, audio & subtitles tracks you don't need, and that's that...quick 'n easy, and will in most cases greatly reduce the file size.

It's just that any 4K encoding can take a very long time, especially if you're using "strong" filter's.

But like Ripmann suggested, grab a sample or a short video, and just test any settings that you think that particular file needs, to "look good", in your eye's.!!!

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 25th June 2021 at 03:09.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 05:14   #19183  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I "told" you about this, age's ago....have you been hiding under a rock ?
Sorry, missed it. As I said, busy month. Never had a chance to update RipBot before today, let alone have enough time to read the forums.

Quote:
You must be compressing your encodes down a LOT, if the audio track is a similar size to the video track.
An uncompressed TrueHD 7.1 stream for a 90-minute movie is 2.5GB. If my goal is to make a 4.37gb DVD-sized encode, that's 57% of the overall file wasted on audio. Even if it's a 7.94gb encode, it's still 31.5% of the total. Clearly a waste of space, especially considering that the 640kbps 5.1 AC3 version for the same file is 413mb. If there's a way to compress that 7.1 to half a gigabyte, I'll gladly take it. Who wouldn't?
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 07:21   #19184  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Sorry, missed it. As I said, busy month. Never had a chance to update RipBot before today, let alone have enough time to read the forums.

An uncompressed TrueHD 7.1 stream for a 90-minute movie is 2.5GB. If my goal is to make a 4.37gb DVD-sized encode, that's 57% of the overall file wasted on audio. Even if it's a 7.94gb encode, it's still 31.5% of the total. Clearly a waste of space, especially considering that the 640kbps 5.1 AC3 version for the same file is 413mb. If there's a way to compress that 7.1 to half a gigabyte, I'll gladly take it. Who wouldn't?
Hey Ripmann,

Well, unfortunately, I have no use for 7.1 "anything" as my Home Theatre only supports 5.1.

I was going to a lot of trouble to convert THD to DTSMA with eac3to, and another old app that I can't recall the name of atpit.

But then I found a quick way to convert pretty much ANY audio to E-AC3, using eac3to, (which is still 5.1), but it sounds pretty good to my old ears.

Unfortunately, RipBot doesn't convert THD to much, or at least E-AC3, but there other ways.

Anyway, we all have different ways of doing things that we want, just a shame that there isn't just one app, that will do it all.

Imagine combining Handbrake, Straxrip, Hybrid & RipBot, together.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...13#post1945413
Old 25th June 2021, 15:41   #19185  |  Link
Ripmann

Damn, I stopped actively following the codec scene a long time ago, but I was expecting that an easy 7.1 solution was out there, considering that such systems became widespread years ago.

I'm definitely looking up all the stuff you mentioned, though. RipBot is so convenient, familiar, and time-saving that I became utterly lazy relying on its features. I heard about E-AC3 a while ago but stayed with RipBot's AC3 anyway. Same with better degraining methods like SMDegrain. We discussed it more a month ago and I already did a dozen of jobs using RipBot's built-in denoising methods. Time to get off my butt and take a crash course in newer alternatives. Thanks for the pointers.

EDIT: From the first glance, it looks like E-AC3 supports 7.1 after all. Thanks again for the motivation.
Old 25th June 2021, 18:09   #19186  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
EDIT: From the first glance, it looks like E-AC3 supports 7.1 after all. Thanks again for the motivation.
Yep, just lossy vs. TrueHD being lossless.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 13:32   #19187  |  Link
Ripmann

Atak, how difficult would it be to fully switch to E-AC3? After playing with it for a bit, it looks like a superior successor to AC3 in every possible way. Up to 15 channels, Atmos compatibility, much higher maximum bitrate, better compression algorithm, etc. Would it be too time consuming for you to implement it at this point?
Old 26th June 2021, 13:57   #19188  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Does ffmpeg even support E-AC3 7.1 encoding?
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 14:45   #19189  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Does ffmpeg even support E-AC3 7.1 encoding?
Not yet it don't, and I've been looking !!

Handbrake, clever FFmpeg-GUI, & Axiom can change nearly any format to E-AC3, but the max is still only 5.1.

Also, a certain procedure using eac3to, with the help of FFMPEG, can do conversions to E-AC3, up to default E 640, but you can edit that value, and I use 1536.

But a downmixed THD or DTS 7.1 to E-AC3 5.1 sound's pretty good, if you run it @ 1536.

If you could (and I know you could) add an E-AC3 option, that would be brilliant
Old 26th June 2021, 21:36   #19190  |  Link
g0th1ckn1ght

Hi all, i have recently come back to Ripbot for backing up my blu rays. Can any offer any advice on how i use Ripbot. I run anydvd hd along with ripbot

insert blu ray into drive
I open the stream and demux the bluray using ripbot (demux audio as well to keep original uncompressed audio as well as any subtitles i need)
I then select hevc and copy stream for video
Copy stream for audio
Add subtitles (including forced)
Then hit done and it starts remuxing

So far the quality has great (as far as i can tell, no difference between inserting the disc into the player vs watching my ,mkv's via Kodi)
Large file sizes are not a big deal for me, video and audio quality are
g0th1ckn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2021, 01:59   #19191  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0th1ckn1ght View Post
Hi all, i have recently come back to Ripbot for backing up my blu rays. Can any offer any advice on how i use Ripbot. I run anydvd hd along with ripbot

insert blu ray into drive
I open the stream and demux the bluray using ripbot (demux audio as well to keep original uncompressed audio as well as any subtitles i need)
I then select hevc and copy stream for video
Copy stream for audio
Add subtitles (including forced)
Then hit done and it starts remuxing

So far the quality has great (as far as i can tell, no difference between inserting the disc into the player vs watching my ,mkv's via Kodi)
Large file sizes are not a big deal for me, video and audio quality are
Nearly 6 years since your last post.....

Not too sure why you're asking, you have described your process, that works for you, just carry on.

What else do you want to know ??
Old 27th June 2021, 11:58   #19192  |  Link
g0th1ckn1ght

Quote:
Nearly 6 years since your last post.....

Not too sure why you're asking, you have described your process, that works for you, just carry on.

What else do you want to know ??
I was just wondering if there was anything else i am missing or if this method is the best way to get the best quality
Old 28th June 2021, 01:11   #19193  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0th1ckn1ght View Post
I was just wondering if there was anything else i am missing or if this method is the best way to get the best quality
I would say that the way you are doing it, is probably the quickest way, and you maintain the original video & audio quality, so like I said before, if you're happy with that, then by all means continue doing that.

Once you start using different filters, for removing grain or noise, then it becomes a different & slower process.

Sometimes you can "clean up" the video, and actually make it look better than original, unfortunately, too many movies have grain & noise, which can be filtered out, however, there are ppl out there that like the "feel" of some grain & noise.....me, not so much, the clearer & cleaner the better.

It's all in the eye of the beholder (as they say).
Old 28th June 2021, 01:22   #19194  |  Link
g0th1ckn1ght

Quote:
I would say that the way you are doing it, is probably the quickest way, and you maintain the original video & audio quality, so like I said before, if you're happy with that, then by all means continue doing that.

Once you start using different filters, for removing grain or noise, then it becomes a different & slower process.

Sometimes you can "clean up" the video, and actually make it look better than original, unfortunately, too many movies have grain & noise, which can be filtered out, however, there are ppl out there that like the "feel" of some grain & noise.....me, not so much, the clearer & cleaner the better.

It's all in the eye of the beholder (as they say).
Thank you for the advice. I am going for the "as close to original" as I can get.
I do understand what you mean about noise an grain though. Doesn't always look the best.

Thanks again
Old 28th June 2021, 16:56   #19195  |  Link
kempodragon

Update on using Ripbot with3-D movies

After much experimentation, I've partially succeeded in getting Ripbot to encode my 3-D movies. First I tried loading the main view file, which is also used for 2D playback. I then copied the avs file that BD3D2MK3D generated into Ripbot's editor. When I tried previewing the file, I got the message it could not initialize the mvc file, and listed the line with the plugin.

To confirm that BD3 avs file wasn't the problem, I opened it with VirtualDub2, and, just for fun, I made an uncompressed full SBS file. I wanted to see how Ripbot would handle an uncompressed file, but at 1.6 TB it was too big to transfer to the ssd that I have Ripbot's temp file on.

Finally, I directly opened the BD3 avs in Ripbot. It opened with no problem, but took so long extracting the frame information that I thought Ripbot had locked up. Once it finished, I was able to preview it with no problems, so I crossed my fingers and tried encoding.

Here's why I partially succeeded. Ripbot encoded it with no problems, but DE would not start no matter what. Task manager showed nothing in the wait states, but did say the DE server was waiting for network I/O. I could not manually start DE either. There were no error messages, DE simply refused to start. Hopefully, Atak can figure this problem out because I would love to see what kind of encoding speed I can get with DE, since even w/o it Ripbot still managed a respectable 32 fps encoding a full SBS at level 5.0
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 17:57   #19196  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

De mode will never work if physical video.mkv file is missing in job folder.
Old 11th July 2021, 18:11   #19197  |  Link
StormMeows

Hey guys, is there anyone out there that uses Staxrip and Ripbot? I recently learned how to use Staxrip for backing up my large blu-ray collection and I am loving it, but it doesn't take full advantage of my AMD 5950x. When I am doing x264 8-bit encodes, it is only typically using ~70% of the CPU power. I have been following this Ripbot thread and have seen the evidence where you can 100% use the AMD multi threading processors, like my 5950x. With Staxrip, I could probably change some settings to make it reach 100% but that might suffer quality of the overall encode, right? Thanks for any guidance on this. I have a ton of movies I need to do and don't want to lose any quality (I aim for transparency to the original blu-ray). Thanks!
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2021, 18:47   #19198  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Just activate distributed encoding mode with 2 servers and you will have constant 100% cpu usage.
Old 11th July 2021, 19:17   #19199  |  Link
StormMeows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Just activate distributed encoding mode with 2 servers and you will have constant 100% cpu usage.
How is the quality of Ripbot x264 8 bit going to compare to Staxrip? I read that the more threads that I use on my AMD processor, the more it degrades the overall quality. Is that why Staxrip only typically uses 60-75% of my CPU? Thanks
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2021, 20:34   #19200  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormMeows View Post
How is the quality of Ripbot x264 8 bit going to compare to Staxrip? I read that the more threads that I use on my AMD processor, the more it degrades the overall quality. Is that why Staxrip only typically uses 60-75% of my CPU? Thanks
StaxRip does x265 chunk encoding by cutting frames into N chunks (simple arithmetic division of the total number of frames = equal chunking) if Input/Output > Chunks is set to N in x265 Options. But unlike RipBot, each chunk employs separate processes in the SAME CPU in StaxRip.

I don't know how RipBot cuts the frames for DE in different servers, but if it cuts the frames evenly by simple arithmetic division (equal chunking), the only difference b/w StaxRip and RipBot lies in whether different CPUs can be employed (RipBot) or not (StaxRip).

And equal chunking is obviously inferior to scene-aware chunking which cuts frames based on frame similarities via ffmpeg, etc.

If you're interested in scene-aware chunking in x265, you may want to try Av1an. But since it's a CLI app, it has some learning curve, though.

For reference, there was a request to implement scene-aware chunking in StaxRip, but it's put off as of now due to some difficult obstacles at the code level.

Anyway, my apologies for cluttering up this thread with StaxRip topics.

Last edited by JKyle; 11th July 2021 at 20:37.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360