Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 28th May 2008, 21:01   #2201  |  Link
DiRTDOG

Thanks a lot B4tm4m!!
DiRTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 00:56   #2202  |  Link
kreegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreegee View Post
is it possible to add an option to disable audio transcoding? i have a mkv with h264 and aac (5.1). if i remux it with mkv2vob (whatever target container), the sound gets transcoded to ac3, resulting in either drastic overdrive (with "boost ac3") or cracking (without "boost ac3").

when i create my own mp4 with MKVextractGUI und MP4Box, everything just works fine (without any transcoding) - but this is quite a detour...
sorry to bump this, 3r1c, any chance to get this in the next version? i just had another aac file which took a lot of time to transcode just to end up with a messed ac3-stream. as said, the ps3 seems to play aac just fine.

btw, no chance to play dts on the ps3?

Last edited by kreegee; 29th May 2008 at 01:13.
kreegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 08:17   #2203  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreegee View Post
sorry to bump this, 3r1c, any chance to get this in the next version? i just had another aac file which took a lot of time to transcode just to end up with a messed ac3-stream. as said, the ps3 seems to play aac just fine.

btw, no chance to play dts on the ps3?
it doesnt play aac just fine, if you are using optical audio cable the ps3 converts aac 5.1 to stereo.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 13:54   #2204  |  Link
Clumpco

Still using this fine piece of software, many thanks to 3r1c!
A couple of GUI feature requests that would make using it so much simpler...
Please could there be an option for the Browse Destination button to have default actions? For example 3 choices a) Browse from dekstop (as it is now); b) Browse from previous destination (as the Input browse button does) and c) Browse to input folder.

Please could the input file box accept drag and drop?
Maybe also the queue window could accept drag and drop too, in this case the default destination folder could be a choice of a user-defined default or the source folder.

Finally including a "watch folder" could be useful - this could allow finished torrents to be automatically remuxed.

Thanks again!
Clumpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 14:41   #2205  |  Link
veggav

Hi,

I would like to know why the files get always bigger them the original one ?

I`m using video transcoding (automatic) and transcoding codec mpeg-2, and I have a lot of movie with like 8.4GB 1080p that fits on a dvd DL and them with mkv2vob it is not possible.
Why is that ?
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 16:21   #2206  |  Link
metoo999

FYI: Someone made a certain NYC monster movie in 720p Blu-ray standalone compliant. They included a file called mkv2bluray that converts the file so that it can be burned and played on a PS3 or other Blu-ray player. I wish more movies were done this way.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 17:56   #2207  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTipper View Post
I am converting 1080i TS files and whenever i try to run it through MKV2VOB, i get an error saying "error repairing AC3" what does this mean? how do i fix it?
I am getting the same issue with a couple of mkv's.

If i open the mkv in question into Mediainfo it states it is AC3 2.0 channel audio, but when I play the actual file back within KMPlayer/Zoomplayer AC3Filter shows input from all channels.

After mkv2vob had finished with the mkv, if I open this into Mediainfo again it also states 2 channels AC3 but upon playback AC3Filter is showing input from all channels.

How do I fix the AC3 audio manually? I have found h264info to be faster changing 5.1 profile material to 4.1 than mkv2vob but I cannot but it all back together because of the AC3 problem.
DJ_Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 19:21   #2208  |  Link
3r1c

There is a bug in tsmuxer that causes it not to accept certain ac3 streams.
I reported it months ago but the author seems uninterested in fixing it.

I have done my best to try to work around it with the "repairing ac3" step, but there is not much more i can do.
Old 29th May 2008, 20:51   #2209  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Ah well, even when I copied the repaired ac3 file from mkv2vob it still did not accept the stream. The main reason I wanted to try was to see if h264info had worked when I changed its profile because it was alot quicker than the transcoding which took place in mkv2vob.

Is there anyway to know prior to putting it into mkv2vob that it will require a full transcode?
Old 29th May 2008, 20:59   #2210  |  Link
3r1c

No other way will work if mkv2vob wants to transcode the file.
Transcoding is a last resort measure, if there was another way mkv2vob would be using it already.

Im trying to fix this ac3 problem now.
The problem is the ac3 files are at least partially corrupted.
Either they are 6ch with a header that says they are 2ch, or they are 2ch with a header that says 6ch.
I dont really know how to tell the difference.

Please explain what you mean by "shows input" do you mean it says 6ch on the screen, or there is actually audio coming out of all speakers?

Last edited by 3r1c; 29th May 2008 at 21:02.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:09   #2211  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
No other way will work if mkv2vob wants to transcode the file.
Transcoding is a last resort measure, if there was another way mkv2vob would be using it already.
What I meant was, is there any details from the encoding which would suggest transcoding is necessary or any h264 settings which should be used to avoid having to transcode. If there is a way to find out whether transcoding is necessary or not I can stay away from certain encoded settings.

Quote:
Please explain what you mean by "shows input" do you mean it says 6ch on the screen, or there is actually audio coming out of all speakers?
What I mean is, opening the file in Mediainfo shows that the audio is a 2-channel AC3 but when the file is actually playing, within Zoomplayer for example, and I open the AC3filter dialog it shows there is sound on all channels on input and output.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:14   #2212  |  Link
3r1c

When encoding make sure to use level 4.1.
See here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503

I see the mediainfo 2ch and player says 6ch.
The problem is i do not know yet which one is right.
There seems to be only 2 "usable" channels, any attempt i have made to extract all channels has failed, or gave me 6ch with 4 of them being complete silence.
My thinking so far is that these are 2ch files, where the broadcaster added fake channels for their decoding equipment which only supports 6ch.

I do not have surround sound in my pc only on ps3/tv and because i cant get the stream playable on ps3 i dont know what the problem is.

What im asking you is if you can check that sound is actually coming out of all your speakers when playing the original mkv file.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:20   #2213  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusf1 View Post
Hi

I have a query to do with MKV2VOB (which I think is great and nearly solves all my problems!)

However I have been trying to watch some content which has english subtitles for non-english dialogue.

I have been unable to hardcode the subtitles for this content without hardcoding throughout the content. Would it be possible to allow a user to select which subtitle track to use rather than the language? When playing original MKV using VLC I can select the right subtitle track and I know which number it is, but when I use MKV2VOB I either have no subtitles, or I have them throughout. Examples of content which I have been trying to watch are Rendition (arabic parts) and 30 Days of Night (vampire speak?!) both of which have english subtitles for the non-english parts.

Thanks for any advice on how to sort this out!

Gus
Gus did you ever find out a way to do this?
Old 29th May 2008, 21:23   #2214  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Quote:
What im asking you is if you can check that sound is actually coming out of all your speakers when playing the original mkv file.
Unfortunately I only have a stereo setup on my PC at present. I can try and rip each channel from the AC3 file and see what happens.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:26   #2215  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Phatic View Post
Gus did you ever find out a way to do this?
Just check "always encode subtitles" in the configuration tab and select English as preferred subtitle language.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:33   #2216  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

Quote:
Just check "always encode subtitles" in the configuration tab and select English as preferred subtitle language.
But would this not encode ALL the english subtitle throughout the full-length of the movie instead of just the parts which require subtitle because it is in a foreign or weird language.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:35   #2217  |  Link
3r1c

It will encode whatever subtitles are in the subtitle track marked "english" in your mkv.
It will be the same as what you see when playing the mkv with english subtitles on.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:47   #2218  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Phatic View Post
Unfortunately I only have a stereo setup on my PC at present. I can try and rip each channel from the AC3 file and see what happens.
Ive tried that, but mencoder/besweet all recognise it as only 2ch and only extract two channels.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:48   #2219  |  Link
DJ_Phatic

I will have to test it out with some files.

I have just tried to extract the channels from the file which is coming up as 2-channel AC3 in MediaInfo, I can only select the left and right channel, so it must be only be 2-channel even though AC3filter is detecting it as Stream format: AC3 3/2.1 (5.1) 48000Hz

A similar file which is detected as 6-channel AC3 in MediaInfo I am able to extract all channels but both rear channels are completely silent/blank, again AC3filter is detected it as Stream format: AC3 3/2.1 (5.1) 48000Hz.

So looks like it is some sort of fake AC3 5.1, though I am unable to try them on a true 5.1 system at present to see if sound would come out of the other speakers.
Old 29th May 2008, 22:09   #2220  |  Link
3r1c

Managed to get one of these ac3 files playing on my decoder, its says its 2ch.