Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2008, 20:48   #2121  |  Link
ericab

dont know if it applies to any of you whom have the black screen/no play "bug";
but i posted a solution that worked for me, some posts back.

if you have multiple monitors; simply drag the MPCHC window from one screen to another until it starts playing.

<-------

@shaolin95:
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/mirror/Misc%...ecinema%20SVN/
Old 26th May 2008, 21:07   #2122  |  Link
lexor

Is it normal that tv->pc shader doesn't work? If so any way of achieving the same effect in ATI drivers (under Avivio options or something)?

/EDIT: I just tied editing it, got "cannot load D3DX9_xx.dll", where do I get that? I have DirectX 9.0c installed.

Last edited by lexor; 26th May 2008 at 21:15.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:16   #2123  |  Link
Sulik

I think I know what the problem is in MPC-HC's handling of multiple slices: there should be one DXVA_Slice_H264_Short sent per slice, but it looks like MPC-HC is sending the dxva data as if there was always only a single slice in the picture (I guess ATI must ignore this parameter). Casimir: the DXVA_SLICE_CONTROL_BUFFER is an array that can contain multiple slices, and there should be one entry per slice, ie:
CHECK_HR (AddExecuteBuffer (DXVA2_SliceControlBufferType, sizeof (m_SliceShort)*NumSlices, &m_SliceShort));
and m_SliceShort should be an array with max_slices entries (or better yet, avoiding the copy, and writing the slice entries directly in the DXVA buffer)
Old 26th May 2008, 21:16   #2124  |  Link
ericab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepar View Post
I have small request to the developers. Could you please include mpc-hc build number somewhere on the about page or window titlebar or just add it to current version. I am really confused which build i currently have
agreed
Old 26th May 2008, 21:26   #2125  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericab View Post
agreed
Me Too ! Also something has to be done for the 64-bit version too, it's very confusing when you have both version (64&32 bit) on the same computer
Old 26th May 2008, 21:27   #2126  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexor View Post
Is it normal that tv->pc shader doesn't work? If so any way of achieving the same effect in ATI drivers (under Avivio options or something)?

/EDIT: I just tied editing it, got "cannot load D3DX9_xx.dll", where do I get that? I have DirectX 9.0c installed.
Update you DirectX with the latest redistributable (march 2008).
Old 26th May 2008, 21:37   #2127  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostonline View Post
I have an odd problem. last weekend, my friend showed me a chinese subtitle(*.ass) for the japanese anime 5CM (dvdrip-mkv & bdrip-m2ts).
his pc: q6600, 9800gtx, xp sp2
1. set mpc internal subtitle buffer to 0, and maximum texture resolution to Desktop.
2. output vmr9 renderless, cyberlink pdvd h264 decoder (dxva enabled)

at the end of anime, when the subtitle special effect starts(words fade in, fade away), the render properties shows frames dropped... the cpu usage is only around 16%.. this is a h264 encoded dvdrip-mkv. bdrip version with this same subtitle file only makes frames drop faster....

reduce maximum texture resolution will also reduce number of frames dropped.
this is kind of strange. I don't get why frames get dropped.

I tested on my own setup
qx9650
9800gx2
mpc-hc r523
vista64 sp1 (evr custom pres.)/xp sp2 (vmr9 renderless)

same behavior...
cpu is no where maximized. I just don't get why frames get dropped..
the funny part is: wit dxva enabled, the cpu is only working on subtitle and it still drop frames....
This is because you have disabled the subpicture buffering that makes you see the ass subtitles in it's real style. I have this problem as well, check this video, as soon as the subtitles appear the video will hang slightly like a "hickup".
This happens every time the subtitles appear on the video as long you have buffering disabled. If you enable buffering even by 1 the styed karaoke stuff will not be visible but the "hickups" go away.
Is there a fix for this?
vista sp1 x86 (evr cp), pentium d 930 @ 4.2ghz, 9800gtx 175.63
Old 26th May 2008, 22:28   #2128  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Thanks, that did the trick.

Also I have an unrelated to the above question for everyone. I followed that thread linked in OP about settings compatible with DXVA and I was wondering if the ref restriction is an insurmountable obstacle imposed by DXVA (at least the current implementation) or if the decoder (not necessarily MPC's) can work around that in the future?
Old 26th May 2008, 22:33   #2129  |  Link
Sulik

There is no direct DXVA restriction for the number of reference frames. The restriction comes from the underlying HW implementations that are designed for Blu-ray, ie: High Profile at level 4.1. Level 4.1 restricts the amount of memory used by reference frames to 12MB, which translates to 4 references for 1920x1080.
Old 26th May 2008, 22:34   #2130  |  Link
ghostonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
This is because you have disabled the subpicture buffering that makes you see the ass subtitles in it's real style. I have this problem as well, check this video, as soon as the subtitles appear the video will hang slightly like a "hickup".
This happens every time the subtitles appear on the video as long you have buffering disabled. If you enable buffering even by 1 the styed karaoke stuff will not be visible but the "hickups" go away.
Is there a fix for this?
vista sp1 x86 (evr cp), pentium d 930 @ 4.2ghz, 9800gtx 175.63

ok, tried your sample.

vista 64bit sp1
mpc-hc r523 evr-cp
mpc internal subtitle buffer = 0, maximum texture resolution = 800*600. uncheck Round up to power of two
pdvd8 h264 decoder

dxva enabled
beginning dropped 34, dropped another 5 during the play, ended with total 39

dxva disabled,
beginning dropped 11, dropped another 8 during the play, ended with total 19

used vsfilter 2.38 with buffer disabled, disable mpc internal subtitle,
beginning dropped 7, no drop duing the play, ended with total 7

------------------------

Found a partial solution for my dvdrip/bdrip on xp32bit sp2

reduce mpc maximum texture resolution from desktop to 800*600, and uncheck Round up to power of two.

1.mpc will no longer drop frames under vmr9 renderless on xp (dvdrip&bdrip, disable dxva, using mpc internal subtitle)

2. still drop frame if use vsfilter(apply to bdrip only, dvdrip is ok)

3, hang my pc after around 90 seconds (bdrip only,enable dxva, using mpc internal subtitle)
dvdrip is ok without drop frame

vista 64bit sp1 evr cp still drop frames regardless what so ever.. well, dropped less, but still drop frames.

Last edited by ghostonline; 26th May 2008 at 22:46.
Old 26th May 2008, 22:47   #2131  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepar View Post
As for DXVA i can confirm that my GPU is correctly recognized (8800gt) and DXVA works under Vista x64 sp1 for most movies that it didnt before but DONT work under XP sp2 (black screen. video not playing)

Also i can confirm that Apple trailers doesnt play (green screen). Tested on Dark Knight trailer.

Anyway, good work guys
For me to - black screen and stop play under XP sp3, and some .MKV green screen but play.
Old 26th May 2008, 22:50   #2132  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir666 View Post
We haven't made test on XP, but it should works (using DXVA1)
Work fine Vista + DXVA2, but not work(black screen, stop play) XP + DXVA1
Old 26th May 2008, 23:06   #2133  |  Link
ADude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
Likely that Apple decoder (software-only decoding) is utilized in the first case and an unsurprising glitch from fudging the container in the second.

In MPC formats, configure MOV for DirectShow rather than QuickTime.
I have a similar problem with .mov files downloaded from NASA.

If .mov format=Quicktime in MPC-HC, then I have various visual playback problems.

But if I configure MOV for DirectShow (as suggested above), then MPC-HC uses its own video decoder, which looks fine, but it cannot find the Apple audio decoder.

Any suggestions ?

PS This is not related to recent changes, as it is the same for a recent Beta and old version 1.0.11.0.
Old 26th May 2008, 23:18   #2134  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulik View Post
There is no direct DXVA restriction for the number of reference frames. The restriction comes from the underlying HW implementations that are designed for Blu-ray, ie: High Profile at level 4.1. Level 4.1 restricts the amount of memory used by reference frames to 12MB, which translates to 4 references for 1920x1080.
HW, meaning that it can't be changed by drivers or other software even if ATI and Nvidia wanted to some time in the future? Also if it is 12mb for frames at Blu-ray's bitrate, then what we commonly use should allow for way more ref, which is not the case. So I don't think it's just a matter of memory. Unless it checks resolution and assumes it's Blu-ray, in which case can MPC be made to cheat at resolution reporting (for this purpose alone, otherwise we risk breaking other things)?

Last edited by lexor; 26th May 2008 at 23:23.
Old 26th May 2008, 23:19   #2135  |  Link
Gawwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADude View Post
I have a similar problem with .mov files downloaded from NASA.

If .mov format=Quicktime in MPC-HC, then I have various visual playback problems.

But if I configure MOV for DirectShow (as suggested above), then MPC-HC uses its own video decoder, which looks fine, but it cannot find the Apple audio decoder.

Any suggestions ?

PS This is not related to recent changes, as it is the same for a recent Beta and old version 1.0.11.0.
rename the extension to .hdmov, see if that help
Old 26th May 2008, 23:30   #2136  |  Link
shaolin95

Compiled version anyone please? Or if there is a guide to compile this I will try that too...thanks.
Old 26th May 2008, 23:43   #2137  |  Link
MatMaul

Quote:
HW, meaning that it can't be changed by drivers or other software even if ATI and Nvidia wanted to some time in the future? Also if it is 12mb for frames at Blu-ray's bitrate, then what we commonly use should allow for way more ref, which is not the case.
NVIDIA and ATI use dedicated chip and surely dedicated and limited memory inside this chip to perform the decoding, so this is not related to the total memory of your graphic card.

@Sulik : thanks a lot we are working on this with casimir
if it's the good solution you're a god 2 bugs solved thanks to you in 3 days
Old 27th May 2008, 00:20   #2138  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatMaul View Post
NVIDIA and ATI use dedicated chip and surely dedicated and limited memory inside this chip to perform the decoding, so this is not related to the total memory of your graphic card.
I'm not talking about vram, I'm talking about the fact that if it can hold 4 ref frames at ~30mpbs it should be able to hold a lot more at ~2mbps. But it doesn't. 1080p will only work with 4refs regardless of bitrate, so memory is not the issue, something else is.
Old 27th May 2008, 00:37   #2139  |  Link
MatMaul

Quote:
I'm not talking about vram, I'm talking about the fact that if it can hold 4 ref frames at ~30mpbs it should be able to hold a lot more at ~2mbps. But it doesn't. 1080p will only work with 4refs regardless of bitrate, so memory is not the issue, something else is.
the bitrate does not matter because the picture buffer stores uncompressed pictures, so the weight of the stored pictures is proportional to the number of pixels only.
Old 27th May 2008, 03:26   #2140  |  Link
ADude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
rename the extension to .hdmov, see if that help
.hdmov is not defined currently within MPC-HC ... should I add it as a valid extension for a particular type, and if so, which type ?

Oh, and the video in question is not HD...
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc